FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender Series

Author Topic: Ender Series
pink
Member # 8048

- posted      Profile for pink   Email pink         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to posting on these forums, however, I've been an avid reader for a couple of years. I finally grew the nerve to post.

I read "Ender's Game" in high school, as a project for one of my literature classes. I recently decided to finish the entire series. However, I'm only on "Speaker for the Dead" and have run into a problem. I can't seem to get into this book like I did "Ender's Game". For some reason, I just can't comprehend, or get submerged in this story. However, I'm sure that I want to read this entire series.

Help?! Words of encouragement? Something?

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to tell you. Speaker for the Dead is -- far and away, no contest -- the best book in the series. If you don't like it, your tastes are so far removed from my own that I wouldn't know where to start.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If you really liked Ender's Game and don't care for Speaker you aren't alone, read the Shadow series.

Though I loved the Speaker series. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker is a lot slower to start. I takes to at least page 100 or so to really get going, and even then it's not the same pace as Ender's Game.

The series has more depth, though, over the long haul, and better character development and interaction than the first book - which was very action-based and Ender-centric.

Definitely check out the Shadow series, regardless, but try to plug through Speaker until it picks up a bit. It's well worth it.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome pink! [Wave] I too was a lurker, and for longer than you, I bet (1 1/2 years)!

I had the same issues with Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. I almost felt that it wasn't the same author I was reading. Give Speaker another try, I think you'll really enjoy the rest of the series.

Also, not to scare you off, but you'll find a lot more people willing to talk about OSC and his books on the "other side of the river" (Discussions About Orson Scott Card).

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi pink, welcome to Hatrack! [Wave]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wait till you get to Xenocide!

[Big Grin]

(Xenocide is my favourite of all of OSC's books, but I think I'm in a pretty small minority on that score.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Member # 8048

- posted      Profile for pink   Email pink         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for all your help. I'm going to keep boring through until I get interested.
Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
twinky, for shame! [Wink] Aside from one chapter that I think is my favorite of the whole series, I found Xenocide a bit too deus ex machina for my tastes.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkRiku
Member # 7979

- posted      Profile for DarkRiku   Email DarkRiku         Edit/Delete Post 
They get kinda into physics later in Children Of The Mind.(or am I just a moron?)
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Twink, Xenocide is definitely my favorite of the Speaker, and in the top ten of all-time favorite books.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Twinky.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know what to tell you. Speaker for the Dead is -- far and away, no contest -- the best book in the series. If you don't like it, your tastes are so far removed from my own that I wouldn't know where to start.
My sentiments exactly.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Skip the first couple of Lusitania chapters. The book picks up when you get to Ender. Once you finish the book and care about the other people in the saga, read the beginning.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xenocider
Member # 7537

- posted      Profile for Xenocider   Email Xenocider         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote: I read "Ender's Game" in high school, as a project for one of my literature classes. I recently decided to finish the entire series. However, I'm only on "Speaker for the Dead" and have run into a problem. I can't seem to get into this book like I did "Ender's Game". For some reason, I just can't comprehend, or get submerged in this story. However, I'm sure that I want to read this entire series.

------

Hey, I thought so to, when I borrowed the book from my friend. You just need to slowly read it a little at a time. Do NOT skip anything, because that is the worst thing you could do in this type of book. Later you will say to yourself "Who the heck is so and so???" and you'll need to go back and read it again.

I learned this the hard way. [Smile]

~ Demosthenes

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.