FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any dentists out there?......help...(Old Thread)

Author Topic: Any dentists out there?......help...(Old Thread)
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a cavity filled... rather 1 and a half filled 4 days ago. For the first three days I was fine... no pain whatsoever... then it suddenly hit! It hurts! It makes me remember the time I had all my 4 wisdom teeth pulled... and I do not want to remember that ever again!

I heard this pain wasn't normal.... and the fact that I can't see the filling anymore... at least most of the silver part...
However my mom who is a nurse said the pain was normal... I just don't know when or if I should get it checked out...

*wishes she had some numbing gel medicine*

[ April 19, 2006, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had some fillings replaced, and they hurt for about a month after. They no longer hurt. But mine was a not quite sharp pain only when I ate, so I knew it was a possibility that it would go away.

Please be more specific - what kind of pain, how painful, when does it happen?

And at the risk of antagonizing any dentists or pro-amalgam filling people out there, you do realize that amalgam fillings are over 50% mercury? Don't know why they're called silver fillings when they're only 25% silver, unless it's to make us all forget they're actually mostly mercury, which is poisonous to humans.

Yep, I'm done now. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
MERCURY?!!!!!!!!

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] ....... [Eek!]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Back to the pain....
It is a pulsing kind of pain that usually happens when I wake up in the morning or eat something.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But how bad is it? On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being no pain and 10 being the most excruciating you can imagine, what level is yours?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

it's 7 maybe 8
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Then I would see the dentist. My pain was at a 2ish. Minor. You're talking fairly serious pain. Go back and see him (her?)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This does sound pretty severe -- more than I'd think would be normal after a filling, especially several days after. I'd go back ASAP.

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:

And at the risk of antagonizing any dentists or pro-amalgam filling people out there, you do realize that amalgam fillings are over 50% mercury? Don't know why they're called silver fillings when they're only 25% silver, unless it's to make us all forget they're actually mostly mercury, which is poisonous to humans.

They're silver-colored. And the mercury is not dangerous once it is bound up in the amalgam. It is far more likely that the patient will get a higher dose of mercury from smog or fish, than from dental fillings.

Analysis of amalgam issue.
Quackwatch

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You can believe amalgam fillings are safe if you like. I believe it's possible they're not.

But take a look at unicornwhisperer's first reaction - surprise. How many people get these fillings without knowing that there's mercury in them? Why not give people a choice instead of the dentist deciding for them? What happened to informed consent?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic: A few kids at a friend's school once found this giant vat of mercury... And they started PLAYING with it, and SWIMMING in it.

Needless to say, those of them that made it were no longer really with us.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
You can believe amalgam fillings are safe if you like. I believe it's possible they're not.

Certainly it's possible. However, in the 35 years that this has been carefully studied, almost no evidence of harm has been found. Lots of hysteria, though.
quote:
But take a look at unicornwhisperer's first reaction - surprise. How many people get these fillings without knowing that there's mercury in them? Why not give people a choice instead of the dentist deciding for them? What happened to informed consent?
Should dentists also be giving people a list of the ingredients in the other fillings before using them? The polymers have plasticizers in them, you know.

Informed consent only applies when there is a known risk. There is NO KNOWN RISK from amalgam fillings -- just a possibility, and much speculation.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
In every dentist's office I've ever been in, there's a notice on the wall informing everyone that fillings contain mercury but that it is rendered harmless, and that there is no known risk, and to ask the dentist if you have any other questions. [Smile]

Maybe they got sick of saying it over and over.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rivka. I do, however, have patients who believe in the idea. I have one who blames the mercury in her teeth for all sorts of things. She is working on getting the fillings removed and is undergoing injection treatments to rid herself of the mercury. She already feels much better and is now recommending this to all her friends.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
In every dentist's office I've ever been in, there's a notice on the wall informing everyone that fillings contain mercury but that it is rendered harmless, and that there is no known risk, and to ask the dentist if you have any other questions. [Smile]
Hmm. There's probably one in my dentist's office too (especially given Prop 65). I'll have to look next time I'm there.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and is undergoing injection treatments to rid herself of the mercury.
[Angst] Injections of WHAT? And how is the injection and getting your fillings all removed less damaging to your health than mercury amalgam fillings? [Angst]

What's Prop. 65, rivka? Is that the reason that buildings will have signs that say, "This area contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm"?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

It's some sort of chelation to get the mercury out. But it's rough on her veins and they can hardly get an IV in her these days. It also makes her feel sick and weak for a week afterwards. We've talked about it. We talked beforehand, we talked after. She's a former nurse and feels she's done the research she needs and is keeping an open mind and that she's making the necessary and logical choices with her eyes open. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The World Health Organization:
quote:
Dental amalgams (fillings) are composed of 50% elemental mercury. Once placed in the mouth, they undergo degradation due to the release of mercury vapours.

The presence of dental amalgams in the buccal cavity and their insertion by the dentist constitute a source of exposure to mercury, although at a very low level.

Data evaluating the risk from fillings are insufficient. According to these data, it has not been proved that exposure to the mercury released by dental amalgams leads to tangible adverse effects; however, this cannot be excluded.

Also from W.H.O., a summary of a publication for sale:
quote:
Concerning the health hazards posed by dental amalgam, no firm conclusions could be reached in the light of severe weaknesses in the design of most epidemiological studies. The book also includes information on reported levels of mercury vapour in dental clinics and the corresponding risk to the dental profession.
More from WHO (PDF)
quote:
The use of dental amalgams for repair work has been widespread and is considered to
be an important source of exposure for those with amalgam dental work

With all the fillings I've had over the years, I've never been given a choice in which materials were used. I've never noticed any kind of posters on the walls detailing what the materials were composed of. And yes, I do believe it reasonable for the dentist to mention all the ingredients, regardless of whether it's amalgam, composite, or porcelein that's being used. If not mention, then hand over a pamphlet and let the person read in their spare time before the filling is done.

Another PDF, this one courtesy of the Swedish government:
quote:
The clinical studies of how mercury vapour influences the immune system show clearly that effects can be demonstrated down to dose levels corresponding to exposure to amalgam. The clinical significance of these effects, on the other hand, is unclear. The observations based on animal experiments provide evidence that genetic make-up and gender have a bearing on the nature and intensity of reactions.
quote:
The most probable side-effect of amalgam seems to be a reaction mediated by the immune system. This does not exclude the possibility of genetically
conditioned high sensitivity to mercury in the nervous system.

quote:
The past five yearsÂ’ research has yielded further evidence that amalgam can give rise to side-effects in a sensitive portion of the population. Thus:
• Research in molecular biology has elucidated mechanisms that may underlie the toxic effects of mercury.
• Studies of the effects of mercury on the immune system in rodents have enhanced knowledge of the mechanisms whereby mercury affects the immune system. Clinical studies of occupationally exposed employees have objectively confirmed subclinical influence of mercury on the immune system at low levels of mercury exposure.
• The thyroid has been identified as the target organ for the toxic effect of mercury in occupational exposure to mercury vapour in low doses.
• Experimental studies of primates and rodents have revealed that mercury is accumulated and persists for years in the retina as a result of exposure to mercury vapour. The consequences of this accumulation are, however, unclear.
• Clinical studies of the effects of mercury on occupationally exposed workers, using modern diagnostic methods, have elucidated the connection between dose and effect. They have also identified and quantified neuropsychological symptoms at low exposure levels.
• The lowest exposure, in terms of urinary mercury secretion, that has been found to give rise to a demonstrable toxic effect has fallen from 30–50 µg/l till 10–25 µg/l. Accordingly, the safety margin that it was thought existed with respect to mercury exposure from amalgam has been erased.
• Studies of workers previously exposed to mercury have shown that prolonged exposure to mercury vapour, with mercury concentrations in urine
of some 100 µg/l, may result in symptoms emanating from the nervous system that persist decades after exposure has ceased. This suggests that exposure causes lasting damage to the central nervous system, which complicates the interpretation of results of low-dose studies of occupationally
exposed populations.
• Clinical reports of acute or subacute cases of mercury intoxication where modern diagnostic methods have been applied have revealed a remarkably high degree of polymorphism in human reactions to toxic mercury exposure.
• Both animal experiments and clinical observations have demonstrated gender differences in the toxicokinetics of mercury.
• Additional facts have come to light that may indicate that mercury vapour can affect human foetal development.
• Clinical provocation studies, with exposure to small quantities of mercury through skin exposure or inhalation, have confirmed that individuals with deviant high sensitivity exist.

With reference to the fact that mercury is a multipotent toxin with effects on several levels of the biochemical dynamics of the cell, amalgam must be considered to be an unsuitable material for dental restoration. This is especially
true since fully adequate and less toxic alternatives are available.

quote:
For medical reasons, amalgam should be eliminated in dental care as soon as possible. This will confer gains in three respects. The prevalence of side-effects from patientsÂ’ mercury exposure will decline; occupational exposure to mercury
can cease in dental care; and one of our largest sources of mercury in the environment can be eliminated.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I got white fillings... I don't know if they're more expensive. Maybe I just had good insurance... or maybe I wondered why the bill was high. It's been a while.

The mercury thing is worrisome, though. Was there really a few kids who were swimming in mercury, Ryoko? Some died? And some were mentally impared afterward? I didn't know mercury could do that. I don't know much... I thought it could just kill you.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
UW-call the dentists. Mine always told me to call him if it hurt even the NEXT day. *shakes fist*

So call him.

Or Else.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

What's Prop. 65, rivka? Is that the reason that buildings will have signs that say, "This area contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm"?

Yep, that's the one.
Theca
Member # 1629

Katarain, the phrase "mad as a hatter" was started because people who made hats had hallucinations and other mental problems after years and years of working with mercury. Isn't that interesting?

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mmadhatter.html

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Correction!
I am in pain always unless I have taken a pain killer.
I will see the dentist as soon as I can. .. the thing is I'm never going back to the other dentist. I seriously think that my filling fell out. I could have sworn I saw it and it was silver but my husband looked at my teeth today and saw no silver...

Digesting Mercury.... ugh

Also does anyone know what it is they are using that has a blue light when they are filling your cavity? I thought that was weird. Seemed like some blue lazer (with the little I saw of it).

rivka
Member # 4859

It's a UV light -- it cures the "porcelain" polymer, and causes it to set.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only had the blue light when I got composite fillings, never with silver.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

It must have been a white filling then.. I must have just been seeing things and thought I saw silver.
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Yes it was a porcelain filling (does it have mercury in it?). I saw the dentist today and he basically had to scrape some filing off.. apparently there was too much of it. I'm hoping when the pain killers wear off it feels better...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

No, it doesn't. I don't know what's in the porcelain ones. Yeah, if he made it too high, it would hurt whenever you bite down. He should have checked that before you left his office. But, glad you went back, and here's to hoping it's all better. [Smile]
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Thank you very much! I appreciate that. [Smile]
It actually hurt constantly... not just when I bit down...

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Just... go back if it still does. And keep us posted. Pain=not good. [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

The "porcelain" ones are made out of a composite (mixture) of various polymers.
Dental composites

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Yum.... looks like it's mostly made of cement...

When I called the dentist today and asked what could be the cause of the pain, one of the causes the receptionist said was "Root canal" I totally freaked out! I never want a root canal!!! This dentist made me wait a whole month to get this cavity filled!!!! [Wall Bash]

Thank goodness that wasn't the reason.. at least as long as I stop feeling pain.

rivka
Member # 4859

Two new studies of dental amalgam show no health risk
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
None known at all.

Ever.

It could be you just need it filed down. I hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad (who is a dentist in Canada) never uses amalgam for fillings anymore. He says that even though there isn't direct evidence, he prefers to not deal with mercury. I believe that my brother (who is a dentist in the US) also uses solely white fillings. I think there is a gradual transition going on.

High fillings can be very uncomfortable. The thing to remember that it can be tricky to get them just right and that they can still be off even after they've been checked in the chair. Especially since the patient can't identify high spots since they are (hopefully) still numb.

[ April 18, 2006, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
I got white fillings... I don't know if they're more expensive. Maybe I just had good insurance... or maybe I wondered why the bill was high. It's been a while.

The mercury thing is worrisome, though. Was there really a few kids who were swimming in mercury, Ryoko? Some died? And some were mentally impared afterward? I didn't know mercury could do that. I don't know much... I thought it could just kill you.

-Katarain

Aren't the white fillings made of the same material as sealants? Sealants can apparently cause breast cancer if they leak, or something.

I have gold inlays. The process to get them put in was actually kind of cool.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, I don't believe so. When I was a dental assistant it was two different procedures but I can't say for the compositions of the materials invovled.

Edit to add: I don't think sealants can "leak" either (they are solid). But they can grind down/fall out. I have sealants so I'll have to check into the breast cancer connection.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I don't remember what the "leaking" was. It was some article about the stuff in sealants getting into your body and upping the chances of breast cancer.

It was convincing enough for my father to hunt down someone to remove my sealants. That was kind of traumatic and involved one of those dental picks and a drill. Or something. I must've been eleven; I was extremely freaked out.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

(Perhaps I should have pointed out that I was bumping an old thread?)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The children had an average of 15 fillings done over the five years the study lasted.
[Eek!]

Three cavities a year?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

pH, in thinking about it, I guess mercury can be thought as "leaking" out of amalgam fillings, so perhaps you're right. I don't have time to investigate right now but I sure will, let me know if you find something before I do. *slight concern
pH
Member # 1350

Well, there was concern for the mercury in the silver fillings and SOMETHING in the sealants. I'm assuming that's the reason I ended up sealant-free and with gold fillings instead of silver or white.

I'll try to find it.

This article mostly talks about plastics in general, but it does mention sealants.

quote:
One year later, Olea’s team reported finding that bisphenol A leaches from some of the plastic resins commonly used to seal tooth surfaces. While these sealants reduce the risk that treated teeth will develop cavities, the Spanish researchers pointed out that newly applied sealants leave measurable quantities of bisphenol A in the mouth. It turned up in samples of saliva collected an hour after treatment—and in one case, 2 years later (SN: 4/6/96, p. 214).
-pH
pH
Member # 1350

On amalgam fillings.

quote:
There are health concerns about amalgam fillings because they contain mercury. A small amount of mercury vapor is continually released into the mouth from amalgams fillings (Mackert and Berglund, 1997). Mercury vapor released from amalgam fillings can be inhaled and absorbed into the body. Chewing, drinking hot liquids, brushing, and grinding teeth can increase how much mercury vapor is released from amalgam fillings. In addition to mercury vapor released from amalgams, small pieces of amalgam can break off from fillings and be swallowed. However, mercury in amalgam particles is not easily absorbed into the body when ingested.

It is well known that mercury vapor can cause health problems. The extent to which a person will have health problems will depend on how much mercury the person is exposed to and how much mercury gets into their body. Mercury vapor mainly affects the central nervous system and kidneys. Workers exposed to mercury vapor have experienced many symptoms including physical tremors, slowed muscle responses, loss of feeling in hands and feet, emotional disturbances, personality changes, reduced kidney function, and kidney failure (ATSDR, 1999). However, these workers were exposed to much higher levels of mercury than what is released from amalgam fillings.

So they DO release mercury, I guess, but no one has shown the amounts of mercury to be harmful in a study yet.

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

Moreover, the two studies just reported showed a negative link (that is, strongly indicated that there is no link).
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

This was quite surprising to find a thread I posted almost a year ago. My teeth are all feeling fine by the way. Thank goodness. I am going to see the dentist again soon just for a 6 month checkup.
I heard that you get more mercury eating fish than having lots of silver fillings.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My dentist uses the porcelain fillings, but when one of my old ones fell out, there was such a huge hole left he said it really needed the amalgam, because it was better suited to filling such a large hole.

So, I only have one of the deadly mercury fillings. I think I'll still sleep tonight. [Razz]

Besides, I probably make up for it in the fact that I never eat fish. But then again, I miss out on all the health benefits eating fish gives you. Darn. You just can't win.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.