FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good classic Hollywood movies

Author Topic: Good classic Hollywood movies
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Laura is on the Fox Movie Channel right now. What a wonderful, wonderful movie.

List your favorite classic Hollywood movies here (so that I can learn of more things to watch). [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's old enough to be classic, but The Great Escape is one of my favorites. It brought together so much talent.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I don't know of the technical definition, Dag, but 1963 is good enough for me. I think (and I could be wrong) that classic Hollywood is technically the 1930s to the 1950s, but I'm not positive.

I almost titled the thread, "Good Old Movies," though, so 1963 is fine for me.

*adds it to list of must-sees this summer*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Man in Havana

Rare, rare movie to find due to politics and economics.

I have a copy.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Notorious and The Big Sleep.

And Rear Window. Casablanca?

Can you tell I love old movies?

Oh, and Captain Blood Just to throw a swashbuckler into the mix. [Wink]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time and loved it despite wanting to shake Audrey Hepburn and tell her to stop being so stupid.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Casablance for the first time last night. I missed the first half, but the second half was so very awesome.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Best Classic. Hands Down. Gone With the Wind.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

You Can't Take it with You
Vertigo

(I love James Stewart. Just love him.)

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Philadelhpia Story

Mr. Deeds goes to Town

Charade

Giant

Citizen Kane

All about Eve

Sunset BLVD

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool hand Luke [Cool]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
The Man Who Came To Dinner

Any Laurel & Hardy movies

Lolita

I agree with 'The Philidelphia Story'

The Beutiful Blonde from Bashful Bend

The Palm Beach Story

Sullivans Travels

Lady Eve

Christmas in July

(in case you can't tell I'm a Preston Sturges fan)

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Most any Marx Brothers movie.
Most any Buster Keaton movie.
All Charlie Chaplin movies.

NOTE: Any movie I remember seeing first run at the theater is NOT a classic. Hence when Fox, AMC or Turner Classics play something like ALIEN I turn the channel.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend anything that was mentioned so far, plus:

Adam's Rib
Arsenic and Old Lace
Harvey
Charade
Some Like it Hot
Roman Holiday

And more, as soon as I come up with them. And I love soo many that people said already!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I love all the Gene Kelley musicals....Briagadoon, Singing in the Rain, American in Paris, On the Town, etc....

Actually, I love musicals in general, just Gene Kelley more than others.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Gone with the Wind

And anything with Audrey Hepburn.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Both what romany said, and what Eru said! And ESPECIALLY what Eru said. Eru, I actually typed that, and then edited it out afterwards, because I was afraid my friends would make fun of me for being obsessed with Audrey. [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the ones I would list have been mentioned (Tracy/Hepburn movies, Bogart movies, Marx Bros., Chaplin, various Hitchcock, etc.) Let me also suggest:

Ruggles of Red Gap
My Man Godfrey
Bringing up Baby
Cheaper by the Dozen (original version)
Belles on their Toes
Double Indemnity
The Bishop's Wife

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rainmaker (1956) with Katharine Hepburn.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of you when I added that, Raia. [Kiss]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Kiss]

I feel special!

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, or any musical with Howard Keel (7 brides for 7 brothers, Kiss Me Kate, etc)
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Howard Keel! I love him!

That said, my favourite classic movie would probably be... maybe... Citizen Kane. Then again, I like a lot of movies produced before 1960, and musicals especially.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I second most of the Marx Brothers Movies and 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington', Roman Holiday and Harvey, and The Great Escape.

Also: The Third Man is a total classic.

I think I've seen The Philadelphia Story but I always get it mixed up with another movie.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
I think I've seen The Philadelphia Story but I always get it mixed up with another movie.
High Society? It's a (fairly bad) remake of The Philadelphia story. The music is fun, but the movie itself isn't worth much. It has Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby, and Frank Sinatra in it, as well as Louis Armstrong. The original is Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart. [Smile]
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
His Girl Friday There have been several different versions of this story, but this is by far the best.
I think it's Cary Grant's best perfomance. And the movie invented overlapping dialogue, used to good effect in Gilmore Girls.

The Women. An all-female cast, basically a 2 hour catfight. Very fun.

I can't believe no one has mentioned The Maltese Falcon. A great and very influential film.

Most films by Hitchcock are either classics or at least good.

More later.

[ May 28, 2005, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie is my friend. I adore Howard Keel and cried a little when he died.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Women about 2 months ago--what a stitch!

Also, I must recommend the King & I--it's one of my all time favorites. For Howard Keel, I like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which is absolutely hysterical, and not always because they meant it to be.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly the best movie ever...not to mention that it had the most expensive stunt of the silent movie era...The General (1927) Starring Buster Keaton. This movie was so amazing, it truley is ambrosia for the old movie watcher.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! What are the chances? Chaos, The General is my one of my alltime favourite movies! I was thinking as I read this thread that I was going to have to suggest it. I adore Buster Keaton. Sherlock Jr. is another favourite of mine.

I second The African Queen as well.

Also, Birth of a Nation (silent) is worth watching for the sheer amount of innovation that went into its making. It's extremely controversial (the KKK are the 'good guys') but if you read up on the background to it, it was a really interesting, enormous landmark in film history.

Edit: As well, The Court Jester or anything else with Danny Kaye is great.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched "The General" on DVD on my computer while waiting for my father at the Doctors office. Silent movies played on the computer are a great way to spend time waiting. You don't need the sound.

History channel had on a special that told the apparently true story they used to base the movie. I didn't get to see it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Astaril...It's nice to know that there's something redeeming about Birth of a Nation. It sure wasn't the story, the acting, or the hero-worship of the KKK.

What a mess.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Some Like it Hot Deserves a mention. As does old Brando flicks like A Streetcar Named Desire and On the Waterfront.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Well no, Birth of a Nation isn't tops in all categories. It actually was (and still is) blamed for a large resurgence of the KKK that occurred just after it came out. Have you seen Intolerance, Bob_S? Griffith made it in response to the blame/trouble he got for BoaN. It's got a rather different theme. Also fantastic technique-wise.

In any case, his use in BoaN of parallel editing, montage, close-ups, huge battle scenes and other techniques were really incredible and/or brand new for the time, and changed a lot of the ways in which film-making/directing was done. Griffith (and especially BoaN) was an *enormous* influence on Soviet cinema as well. And the acting was in fact considered pretty well done by a lot of people, with whom you obviously disagree... [Smile]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.