FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Addicted: now with a mini rant (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Addicted: now with a mini rant
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am addicted to Freecycle. I have been on it for two days, and I have given away many things. I am meeting someone tomorrow to hand off a box of books.

So, I may not see you guys for a while. I will be busy giving away everything I own.

It feels so good! It feels so much better than dumping stuff in the Salvation Army box, knowing most of it will be thrown away.

Does anyone else have this nonproblem?

[ June 14, 2005, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sucker.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck is freecycle?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I was wondering...
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
i know what it is.
Do you, by any chance have a fedora you want to give away?
Or old medical books?
Or really cool marbles?
Or a 128 mb video card, nvidia? [Big Grin]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
ITs this program that you sign up for.. and you find a group that lives near your house. And when you have something u want to give away you post a message saying I dont need this anymore. Does anyone want it?
And then u give it to them. Its kind of odd.
I just googled it

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

www.freecycle.org

It is an email list where you give stuff away, or get stuff for free.

OFFERED: Box of Books

TAKEN: Box of Books

RECEIVED: Box of Books

And give and give and give.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It is kind of like Ebay. But free.
And I don' really see what is odd about it, I think it is cool. (obviously. part of the addiction and all)

TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I sort of use craigslist for the same thing but maybe I'll use this instead.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a moderator in our local group - haven't given anything away yet, but I should be getting a working sewing machine next week. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I know now that I am not alone. Thank you, Elizabeth.

I click on Freecycle 1,000 times a day. I can't stop giving things away.

We need a support group.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up for freecycle, but have been NOT reading the emails -- I'm moving soon (I hope, at least), and can't be accumulating more stuff.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of getting RID of certain things through it! *smacks forehead* I know one thing I'll be doing in July! (Some of the stuff needs to be sorted, etc.) Much better than trying to get over to Goodwill.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Where are you moving, rivka?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of my parents' house.

Off to go bowling! [Big Grin] 'Night!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sharing this! I just joined for both my own town and my mother's town (maybe I can get her to start unloading too...)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Valentine014,

I think some people do ned a support group! I guess it is not bad to be addicted to giving, right? Right?
I do not want a single thing right now, because we are in a major purge mode. I think I am even getting rid of a broken riding mower.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is addicted to this stuff. I myself refuse to endorse it.

Sure, we've cleaned out a lot of junk from our house, including a 12 year old AM car radio that came with my wife's first new car, which we kept since installing a better one in that car. We just couldn't throw it away even after we sold the car because someday it could have been useful. Now some car-geek has it installed in his hand made work bench that resembles a car dashboard.

Sure, a Physical Therapist suggested we buy a mini-trampoline to help Sasha's leg strength. Instead of spending big bucks for one my wife found one for free.

Sure there are many not so good books given away, and many pretty good books added to my collection.

But the cost...the terrible dangerous cost.

I was the one that was sent to the deepest darkest woods, with actual wolves/coyotes howling in the distance, to pick up a bunch of stuff. I was given only the most rudimentary of directions, including "Go 2 miles down Highway O". No address. No working Odometer on the vehicle. No last name of the donator.

I was given a phone number to call. Too bad there was no reception in that part of the booneys.

I stopped at three different houses and asked them if they were the person I was looking for.

Three times I was met with people who looked like they were going to shoot first and give directions later. After a hurried explanation I read in there eyes I was no longer considered a threat. A clueless schmuck yes, but not a threat.

When I found the right house I passed it. I slowed and turned around and debated if it was the right house.

A couple of girls walking down the road at the time thought I was stalking them and ran to the house to find yet one more country marksman with a gun.

I survived. I even got 8 boxes of chicken themed stuff that we gave to a friend. But folks, I have to warn you. Sometimes the free stuff just isn't worth the price.

(I don't even want to tell you about the heavy, very heavy, gas drinking heavy antique stove I have sitting in the back of my van)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*checks website*

*sees Bloomington group has 960 members*

o_O

Maybe I'll try it...

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I'm one of the members.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a member of the Rockland Freecycle group.
I really, really want old clock parts.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a bureau we need to get rid of.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Cool. I have almost no furniture... my place looks like a rat's nest and I should do something about that using free and cheap furniture.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, I dropped off the books at a house with the most anally kept, beautiful garden I have seen in a while. They left me two heirloom tomato plants. Some Polish sauce tomato.

So I'm feeling pretty good.

Dan, I laughed very hard when i read "chicken themed stuff."

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, this is getting bad. I just extended my freecycling range to a larger radius.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, thanks Elizabeth! Ithaca's group posts over a thousand messages a month! I can't wait to get started! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hey! I want to be in Ithaca's group!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

(By the way, Z, DtB will be on a float in the parade!)
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

what if they give you crap, though?

[Smile]

--forever negative

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Well, that is a risk you have to take, Tater. You can just re-gift it.

I did just pick up a full bottle of Hugo perfume and it was labeled "TESTER". I wonder if it wasn't stolen.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tater, you don't have to take it. I got a bunch of moving boxes, and took all of them, but only needed a few. I gave some away, and we took the rest to recyling. I was thinking they were going to be uniformly shaped boxes that you pay for in a store, but they were just a bunch of boxes.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Freecycle too. About every two months I go on a purge cycle and get rid of boxes and bags... I got rid of two broken mowers that way (yes I advertised them as broken)! But somehow no one wanted the sing and annot Elmo my aunt got Andrew for Christmas.

I have gotten a few cool things too....a crock pot, some Rubbermaid storage things, a math book.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Neat, I have my first pickup coming out today! He's getting six wooden crates and two tall ceramic lamps. Hope he shows up and takes them! [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Zeugma, the groupie in me is thinking I should move to Ithaca just so maybe one of my beloved musicians would stop by top pick up some junk.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Lol! See, what's not to like about Ithaca? Great people, great food, great parades involving a Volvo Ballet, and the possibility that one of your favorite musicians might come by to pick up your collection of TV Guides! [Big Grin]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I didn't think Ithacans watched TV, Zeugma. ha ha. But I would subscribe to Vegetarian Times just to offer them in the hopes that Tara Nevins called.
I am that pathetic.
Volvo Ballet, and there are some other funky things in the parade, too.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Yes, the parade that is this Thursday evening. Marching Tai Chi, the Subaru Samba, Marching Dish to Pass, the All-American Chainsaw Marching Band, and the ever-popular Corporate Shark brigade.... and I love the Compost Theater, too. [Big Grin]

[ May 30, 2005, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Zeugma ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Marching Tai Chi, that was it!

I would be there, but it is my daughter's birthday week.

Don't miss Crow Greenspun, on the Common, I think.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*checks site*

Hey, there's a group in my city!

Hmmm....

*eyes off bulky speakers gathering dust in corner of room*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Someone asked for a turntable. I said, "Steve, Steve, someone needs a turntable!"

He informd me that he knew this, which was why he would be selling it.

How ruuuude.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, I put our chain link fence up on Freecycle about an hour ago, and I have four offers already.

One is for a woman who is in the hospital, who has a dog grooming business. Her daughter wants to surprise her with it when she gets home.

Another is a name I recognize, a local dj whom I have been trying to get to play one of my favorite musicians, but who never writes me back.

So, I am going with the woman in the hospital.

At first, I would offer to the first person who responded, thinking that was the fair thing. But then there was a discussion that it is better to wait a bit, so the same people do not always get first dobs just because they are on their computer all the time.

So, it is getting more complicated to give!

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Phoenix and all its subsidiaries probably constitute over 20,000 registered members.

I may have to look into this.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My mother has forbidden me to tell my retired-in-two-days father about this, afraid he will give away all her good stuff. (which he probably would)(like the time he sold all of my sister's new school clothes that she had bought on sale the year before)
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Dang, I want a chain link fence! [Big Grin]

My pickup went great yesterday; he even took this weird Chinese box that we got for our wedding that we don't have room for. [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, if it is for your dog, forget it. Our mostly Malamute blew thre it in the first day we got it. (We never could contain him, and eventually stopped trying) That is what I told the woman whose mom is in the hospital. I want her to have it, but I explained about the baby gate-reinforced section. We'll see.

(He actually pulled the links straight, he was so strong, and so intent to escape)

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I got rid of a big bag full of kids' clothes, and Saturday someone's picking up a couple patio chairs from me!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
We are in this as well. Last month, my husband found a taker for an almost brand new motorcycle helmet.

I also heard him in the office a couple of mornings ago fussing that someone had offered a welder overnight and he missed it. When I asked why he wanted a welder - you guessed it: "So I can weld things, of course."

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ach!

I was rejected from posting to another Freecycle group because I am out of their area. How rude. It is OK that I TAKE from them, but not give to them?

Oh well.

Our chain link fence is coming down today, I think. But I just realized that my clematis and trumpet vine will have to come down as well! Ouch.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined a couple of freecycle groups in the Phoenix area a couple of weeks ago and did my first offer last week. [Smile] Now, to just gradually continue to go through my stuff and get rid of it. First - the lights I took down, tomorrow - the world!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I got that message too, Elizabeth. So I had to withdraw from Brookfield.

And actually, I think your comment about "it's okay for me to take but not give to them" is kind of where the problem came in that caused them to demand the home group only thing. Theoretically, you'd be expecting people to drive out of their own town to your house to pick-up, which would make it unfair to the people that do live in that group's area to pick up from a "foreigner".

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

True, Goody S, except that we aren;t really that far. It's the old "gotta draw the line somewhere" thing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.