FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is 17% of 37? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is 17% of 37?
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some ways to test the randomness of a number: http://www.cs.tufts.edu/g/250P/classpages/RandTests.html

That page was written for a bit stream (so you would use those exact techniques on the binary value of pi).

This kind of thing is used often in cryptography to ensure that the keys are created randomly (or as randomly as possible).

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, it sounds like a good approach.

Minerva...this sounds horrendously complicated -- I mean using the binary value of pi to 200 million regular digits??? Yikes!

But the tests are very clever and simple once you do that conversion, no?

Question, aren't the patterns of bits denoting a single digit essentially non-random? I mean, they specify a digit and not some other digit.

Hmm...

I guess it's okay. I like the brute force method, but then, I'm not a cryptographer.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the binary method would be an extremely elegant choice of rv, because then you should get a simple bernoulli distribution.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob: yes, they do specify a digit and not some other digit, but that's just representation. The "number" is the same whether its in base 10, base 2, base 12, or base 111. None is in any way more fundamental than the others.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's just 37 x 0.17. Can't people do math without calculators any more?
I agree. I find it very alarming that one would have to post to a forum to find the solution for this math problem rather then just get a pencil and some paper and do the math.

I remember when we weren't allowed to bring calculators into the math classroom.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
You find it very alarming? Wow. Overreact much?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it alarming that one needs a pencil and paper to do that calculation.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You find it very alarming? Wow. Overreact much?
[ROFL] Judging from your response I would bet you know all about overreation.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Coming soon on Hatrack, you will be able to get members to tie your shoes for you.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer using a pencil and paper, Danzig. In 2nd-order stuff in algebra (say, parabulas - that we're going to do very soon, currently we're calculating areas of shapes created by various 1st order graphs and functions). The small things get me confused, and I failed COMPLETELY in three tests because of the plus-minus issues.

That's why I probably won't make it into "5 points"... It all depends on my test result, that I had today.

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
In second-order algebra, I too would use a pencil and paper, unless I had to get up to get them. But .17 * 37 is mere multiplication. There are no plus-minus issues involved in that one.

Furthermore it just looks cool when you can do mental math faster than someone can type it out on the calculator. [Smile] It is useful when calculating sales tax while shopping too.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else who calculated this in their head go .17*37 --> 1.7*3.7 --> (2.7-1)*(2.7+1) --> (2.7)^2-1 --> 7.29-1 --> 6.29? 'Cause, you know, I'm just wondering if anyone else's brain works this way.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I just calculated .17*37, no tricks. It IS somewhat easier if you do it your way, of course, but easy doesn't enter into grown-up life! [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I just waited for someone to post the answer.

[Wink]

& fugu, thanks!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
The numbers from LOST, run end-to-end, don't show up, either.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Apparently it's 6.

Ain't the Internet grand?

Assume most of this thread is pointless I was going skip to the last post but this caught my eye.

Thanks Dagonee, I've been looking for a site like this for a long time. It's just good to know the 43653284 digit of pi. [ROFL]

Griffin

Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
Did anyone else who calculated this in their head go .17*37 --> 1.7*3.7 --> (2.7-1)*(2.7+1) --> (2.7)^2-1 --> 7.29-1 --> 6.29? 'Cause, you know, I'm just wondering if anyone else's brain works this way.

--Pop

nice [Cool]

Griffin

Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
17*37 --> 1.7*3.7 --> (2.7-1)*(2.7+1) --> (2.7)^2-1 --> 7.29-1 --> 6.29
It's nice making squares (especially when I know the squares of every number 'till about 30), but I don't try to make anything a square - I'd rather multiply one by the other.

If it's big numbers on paper (three numbers, three digits each), and I can make them a square or cube - I'd do it.

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.