FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Internet Etiquette Question of the Day

Author Topic: Internet Etiquette Question of the Day
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I work for a company with a multi-name web site address. www.newdirectionsmedia.com.

I see a lot of companies with similar names.

Is there a reason I should not list it as www.NewDirectionsMedia.com. By capitalizing the first letter in each word, it acts as a separator and emphasises the name. Its marketing.

Yet every site I visit has their names and emails listed all in lower case.

I believe this is a computer tecky hold over.

Thoughts?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
How are you listing it? I am no expert, but I would say if it's, like, at the bottom of an ad that includes the company name properly capped, leaving in all lowercase in the web address is fine. If it's just part of a list, I'm not so sure. Can you be more specific about how you're using it?
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason I can think of not to capitalize is that people may think they have to type it in with the capitals, and I find it difficult for some reason to stick a capital in the middle of a "word." That is -- it's mentally hard for me to capitalize something when I haven't hit a space or a return before it, unless it's the very first thing I start typing.

Other than that, I'd say go for it.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

When I put it on my signature on a business email. Its "fine" and expected to be all in lowercase. I want to know why I shouldn't capitalize it. The capitalization would add emphasis to the company name--marketing. Its all about the marketing.

Unless by capitalizing it, it makes it less likely that people will find my website.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there are some UNIX-based web servers where www.thisname.com is different form www.ThisName.com. For some servers capitalization it doesn't matter, but for some it does.

So it's a good idea to allways use lower-case so that you never get burned by one where it matters.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, in that case marketing schmarketing. Is the company name included anywhere else in your signature? Either way, I wouldn't capitalize it because then it would look like you were trying to emphasize it, and as a consumer, that would make me less likely to check it out. But that's just me.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Thats the info I was looking for. Thanks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.