FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell Me About Your Mutant Powers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell Me About Your Mutant Powers
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has been done before, but I love hearing about these things.

Here are my mutant powers:

I have the ability to identify obscure actors within seconds and name every movie that they've ever been in, even if they didn't have a speaking role, and sometimes I can even name their relations. I can also identify segments of movie scores even if the segment is only four seconds long, and I can tell you what part of the movie it came from, and what happened next. I am also the whitest person alive and can burn in direct sunlight under five minutes.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, you sound like me.

----------

I have the extraordianry ability to stand on a soda can without crushing it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I can freeze time. The catch is that I can only freeze time when someone asks me to.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I also possess the Cosmo Kramer "internal clock," which means if I worry enough about waking up at a certain time I often wake up 30 minutes before that time, and then sleep in only five minute segments, each time in a panic, afraid that I've overslept. It would probably just be smarter to get out of bed.

Also, my eye color changes depending on the shirt I'm wearing.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I can stop a speeding conversation dead in its tracks.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got nothing.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I can learn music (that I like or sometimes that I absolutely abhor) word for word, note for note, in only a few hearings. Once I did it in my sleep-- had a song on repeat to relax to, fell asleep, my roommate said I was singing along in my sleep after a few minutes, and when I woke to go to the bathroom, sure enough, I knew every word, every note. This usually applies even when the song is not in English.

My ("grey-hazel") eyes appear to change color with what I wear. Okay, it's not really a power, but it's really freaky when I wear grey-- they look silver and gold.

I can hear swearing or inappropriate conversation, even when the speakers are speaking very quietly, at the length of a football field. (Developed that one while working daycare.) I (thankfully) have the ability to completely tune out all conversations that don't require my attention, if I so wish.

I can make most teenage boys quiver and apologize with a look. (Again, daycare.)

I can eye up the food left in a pot, pick out the right tupperware container, and get it to fit exactly right. (Got that one from my mom.)

When I fully flex my left middle first knuckle, the tendon or whatever that is over it slips to the side. I can totally freak people out by having them close their eyes, place their fingertips lightly on said knuckle, and flexing it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't want to hear something, I don't hear it. I've actually been to doctors about this one. I suppose I hear it the first time, and then just forget it if it's not important enough.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Last wednesday I recieved radioactive iodine treatment for an overactive thyroid. I'm sure to get super powers. I mean, spiderman was bit by a radioactive spider. That must have been a very small dose of radiation. I should be able to kick spiderman's butt when my powers kick in (any day now powers, its been almost a week!).

I had some superhuman abilites from the hyperactive thyroid that I might miss.

1) Can metabolize food almost instantly. Your thyroid regulates metabolism, and mine is indeed superhumanly fast. This does not mean I am skinny, mind you, since I eat a TON of food to compensate. I must burn 2-3 times as many calories a day as most people. This leads to 2-3 times as much food/water leaving me, which is the drawback I suppose.

2) Can stand very cold temperatures. Basically a permanent hotflash, which makes me feel pretty comfortable even in extremely cold weather. "Do you even own a coat?" My puny human coworkers quip. This power correlates to an inability to withstand heat. But every superpower has its drawbacks.

3) The rest include shaky hands, frequent urination (and bowel movements), fatigue, and an extremely fast pulse (for someone my age and condition). These ones don't really help me fight crime very well.

My non-thyroid, non-radiation based powers are few. One is that I can identify just about any actor by their voice. So many a commercial involves me telling my SO who the speaker is. Perhaps I will think of others later.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
I am the most powerful force user on Hatrack.
The only one with the potential to surpass me is Darth Card himself.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I can cram very well for a test, spit it all out word for word, and have forgotten it all in just a week.

With the right people, I can get into a groove where I have everyone rolling on the floor laughing at stuff I pick out of the conversation. With the wrong people, I generate uncomfortable pauses and changes of subject.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I, too, am comfortable in very cold weather, though for very different reasons. The downside is that I get hot very easily, and try to keep the A/C around 73 degrees. It takes me very long to get cold. However, my feet do not know the middle ground of temperatures, and are consistently either very hot or very cold. Strange.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I can leap forward short distances through time. Entire hours melt away before my awesome powers and I arrive at the end of the day having accomplished nothing.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Just like ^^^.

I also have an inhuman short term memory, complimented nicely by a total inability to convert anything short term to long term.

I can learn stuff in a heartbeat, totally forget it a week later, relearn it the next semester, forget it again, rinse, repeat.

I know every word to "Ice Ice Baby".

I can recite comedy hours in their entirety.

I can go days speaking in nothing but movies quotes (which 90% of the people who hear them don't get - "Hello, McFly, anybody home!").

[edit - I know the difference between 'here' and 'hear', and I don't like when I don't think before typing]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We were talking about this at DallasCon! I'm a time traveler- with some limitations. I travel only forward, in a consecutive manner, and am unable to control the speed at which I travel.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I, too, am comfortable in very cold weather, though for very different reasons. The downside is that I get hot very easily, and try to keep the A/C around 73 degrees. It takes me very long to get cold. However, my feet do not know the middle ground of temperatures, and are consistently either very hot or very cold. Strange.
You, my friend, have poor circulation.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Uh?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I can go days speaking in nothing but movies quotes (which 90% of the people who here them don't get - "Hello, McFly, anybody home!").

Marty McFly...Back to the Future! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Anyone who misses that one is sentenced to watching the USA network for one weekend, where they will inevitably see the entire trilogy.
Book
Member # 5500

Now, see, you can't just tell people they have a medical problem and then not expand on it. "Circulation," especially, which sounds dangerous.

What do you mean, "poor circulation?" What's it caused by? What are the symptoms? What's the danger? What's the solution?

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I make at least one streetlight a week go out as I walk by, and without the handy gadget Dumbledore's got in the first Harry Potter.

I can make FM radio stations turn into static by standing in certain parts of a room.

I make computer monitor screens turn purple or rainbow or completely black, whether the monitor's brand new, plugged in, and/or set to never turn itself off or not.

Oh, and that talent of BtL's too. I've got that a plenty.

Edit: Forgot about my double-jointed, dislocatable thumbs. I'm sure they're useful for something...

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Poor circulation isn't really a medical problem. It doesn't really have a danger, or a solution. And as I'm an electrical engineer, I'm in no position to diagnose or advise you if it were a medical problem.

The reason I say that is your cold feet comment. That's just the sort of thing I associate with having poor circulation, by which I mean your blood doesn't circulate through your body very efficiently.

I don't know if I'm right, because I can't think of any specific reason why I said that. But I find myself consistently being right about stuff that I don't know how I know (a statement that anyone who's watched Jeopardy with me will attest to).

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Double jointed thumbs, pinkies, shoulders and jaw.

I can make the vein on the back of my left hand wiggle.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Astaril, do you stop watches, too? It sounds like you have a strong personal magnetic field. We had a thread awhile ago about people who can't wear watches, 'cause they stop. The degaussing monitors thing, especially.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the ability to BS my way out of almost anything.

I have the ability to confuse just about anybody on any subject and in the end get them to siagree with themselves, get angry at themselves, and lurk away muttering words of an unfriendly nature.

I can convince anybody to watch Firefly using a selection of seven count them seven quotes.

I have the ability to lose just about everything important in my life, animate or inanimate.

I also have the singular ability to combine lyrics from county songs, out them over melodies from Irish and Scottish bands (not jigs though) and makes them sounds pretty damn good.

I can quote George of the Jungle back to front and occasionally front to back.

Shepherd

Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the ability to make my hands look like they are on the wrong arm. But only if I'm wearing thick gloves.

edit: I forgot to include my well known ability for falling for girls only to screw things up only days later [Smile]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the power to shed like a wild animal. My hair can get into rooms I've never been in and can materialize in sealed containers.

My amazing mutant eyesight (augmented by lasers) allows me to see things that aren't even there and don't even exist!

My mutant aura seduces women without me trying to, but only ones that I would have absolutely no interest in.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I am able to turn streetlights on and off. Only sometimes by will..
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I can look at a dog of mixed breed and instinctivelt tell what the different breeds are.
I can hear something distinctive somewhere (a conversation, quote on a news item, a pithy one-liner, etc) and remember it exactly, word for word, when all my friends have misremembered it, get the words mixed up, or something else that completely ruins the effect of the original quote. I have to be careful revealing that one as it can cause persecution and suspicion!
I can look at a colour and tell you what its component colours are (get that from being an art teacher).
I can spell evrything! [Wink]
I can procrastinate anything you can name, at any distance, and over any period of time!! That, I feel, is my greatest mutant talent, and my greatest curse!

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
The ability to play video games for days without eating, sleeping, or going to the bathroom. My power trumps all of yours [Big Grin]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Oooh, I can mimic people's voices very well, with the correct level of concentration. You know how cell phones have the voice call thing? Where they will call a number if the voice programmed into the phone says the name they programmed in? I've fooled two or three phones into thinking I'm their owner that way. I'm also invisible when no one is looking.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Sid Meier:
The ability to play video games for days without eating, sleeping, or going to the bathroom. My power trumps all of yours [Big Grin]

Don't get so cocky!
[Razz] I can do that too.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an abnormally over-developed photographic memory - but only for things I like. Example #1: Harry Potter. I took a mini-course at the student union here and corrected the teacher several times with direct quotes from the books/movies, and I'd not read/seen them in at least 6 months. Example #2: Greek exams. The night before, I read the Greek, read my translation, read the English, then go into the exam the next day and spew it out word-for-word.

It kind of sucks. I can't remember the things I don't find interesting - like anything vaguely science-related. Episodes of ST:VOY? Sure. High school chemistry? Not so much.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the greatest power in the world. You are all very envious of this power. Just admit it and the healing process can begin. Unfortunately, due to contract disputes I am unable to specifically name this power.

Just know that it is grand. Far grander than the grandest power you have yet imagined.

Further inquiries can be sent to my lawyers.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
afr, me too!

Cashew, can you do it from a photo? Because we have an ongoing debate over what exactly our dog is.

I can sleep 12 to 14 hours a night, every day.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to could suck air into my butt and blow it back out on demand.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - how do you follow an act like that?

I have the ability to hear a phrase - or even one word - and have a song running through my head. It's like my own, personal radio that plays parts of songs ... over and over and over again (until I concentrate on a different song I want to listen to in my head).

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:

Cashew, can you do it from a photo? Because we have an ongoing debate over what exactly our dog is.

Uh oh! Yeah, go ahead, why not...
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I used to could suck air into my butt and blow it back out on demand.
------------------------------------------------
Wow - how do you follow an act like that?

Why would you want to follow someone blowing air out their butt? I'd want to be far in front.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I have the ability to hear a phrase - or even one word - and have a song running through my head. It's like my own, personal radio that plays parts of songs ... over and over and over again (until I concentrate on a different song I want to listen to in my head).
This one seems to run in my family; my mom, my dad, my brother, my sisters, and I all do it.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the amazing ability to be deleriously happy for no reason whatsoever. (The converse is true, but we shall stay out of that darkened area.) Of course, this ability is saddled with a balance; people seem to assume that you are on drugs just because you gigle wildly, run around, and are absolutly happy.

Ach, vell such is life. ^^

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MKellar
Member # 8133

- posted      Profile for MKellar   Email MKellar         Edit/Delete Post 
I accidentally memorized the subtitle to just about any videogame that has a subtitle. Weird, yes, I know.
Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, some of these I don't do very often. But I do do them at times.

I can doze off during a lecture of a movie and remember a lot of what it's about during the time I'm dozing. (Though I can't really be full-blown snoring and dreaming.)

I can doze off taking notes in classes and still get them down. Of course, this only works when it's absolutely silent, or else I'll start writing what other people are saying too. (Only have had to do this on about... two or three occasions.)

Same thing with me on the cold, I get hot really easy, but I prefer to be in the cold. (64 degrees is comfortable for me, and I'm still fine for quite a bit lower too.)

One of my favorite powers is that I can stare anyone down. I've not met someone who doesn't eventually give up. I have to give credit to my contacts a bit, they don't let air in my eyes, but... I can go for a long time without moving, twitiching, blinking, scarcely breathing, and no emotion staring at someone. The longest I went was... all of a lunch break. (I believe they're about 20 minutes.)

I have a very good evil laugh. I get some people just to shiver when they hear it, some say it's really cool, mixed reactions from it, but it works wonders.

I can do a Full Lotus/half lotus with more comfort than doing crossed legs. (And apparantly that's hard for most males.)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I can play music on my thumbs.(make fist, blow through thumbs, but not just whistle, play songs)

I can pick things up with my finger-like toes.
I can remember the layout of people's homes to the finest detail, even from childhood. (freaks out my dad)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

ElJay: No, I don't stop watches, but my father does! He probably has to change the battery in his every month or so. My whole immediate family has the radio talent. I may be the only one for steetlamps and monitors though. Do magnetic fields run in families? I don't know...

Carrie: Me too! I love straight translation Greek exams, because all I ever have to do is read the Greek and my translation over once beforehand, and I can spit it back out just as it is. I should add that one to my list of powers. It's the cursed parsing of idioms that always gets me... (By the way, I'm wearing my Classics shirt right now which you might appreciate - top: si tu hoc legeris nimium educationem habes, bottom: ei de kai tode anagignoskein dunasai pollo lian paideusin exeis)

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the ability to be too hot in a 60 degree room.

I have the ability to make electronics break simply by touching them.

I have the ability to know what a person is going to say, and say it before they've started to.

I have the ability to relate any conversation to a Firefly or Farscape quote.

I have the ability to fall in love with a story with almost no characterization or plot at all.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

::snickers::

I may have to steal that [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

If they get more made, I'll send you one! [Smile]
Carrie
Member # 394

Wow, really? That would be awesome!
Astaril
Member # 7440

I don't know if they will, but sure. It'll be next year or so if they do. It's got "University of Waterloo Classics" on the front too, if that matters. You're a bit too far away to have us be a rival though I think.

Add My Super Power #4: The ability to always use 50 or more words where 10 would suffice. I could work for governments. See? Even this paragraph is an example.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.