FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Blessing of Insomnia (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Blessing of Insomnia
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
((Shan))

When I can't sleep I practice Yoga Nidra.

Basically you lie still and allow a soothing voice to guide your mind through a tour of your body. It is very relaxing. [Smile]

I use this CD which can be purchased from Amazon. Or, you can try a free sample from Tim Rowe.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

Last night, at the same time Orson Scott Card was posting in this very thread, I was silenting grumbling about him.

Tired beyond belief, I had a short section left in Homebody and I could not put it down. Then, when I did finish it, I was up for another hour thinkng about it.

I would curse him in a pretend way, but after reading that book, I can't joke around about that stuff. (shudder)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, what did you think of Hero? I have it now, and will probably watch it in the next few days. I haev heard mixed reviews . . .

BTW, I have a question . . is it OK to call you Scott? [Blushing] OSC seems too bulky if I am asking you a question, and I have heard/seen others call you that, but I don't recall if it was a discussion about you, or including you... I have never asked before. [Big Grin]

I hate it when people call me Bob rather than Rob, so I thought I would ask. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan , ( and other insomniacs) a great cure is to get "For us, the Living" by Heinlein and when you can't sleep try to read the "economics lesson". Works every time.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea there were so many other sleep-deprived individuals in the world! Amazing. And with so many great hints and ideas!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a perfect time for an Ambien commerical.

"Works like a dream."

Seriously, have any of you tried this stuff? I might've actually had a normal teenagehood if I had this drug then. I might not of gotten addicted to late night episodes of Star Trek:TNG and M*A*S*H.

But thanks to insomnia, I got to experience the greatest invention ever-the Rotato (as seen on T.V.).

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
insomnia sucks.

sure, waking up as a kid to stare at the ceiling and wonder about the connections of all the things you've learned about is... well like putting a puzzle together, and you do, and it all makes sense, and you go to sleep.

as an adult, that confounding puzzle is like sailing between the... (line? greek reference to twin debacles?) <- precisely like that.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember putting that particular puzzle together very well as either a child or an adult. There were always more pieces getting added all the time.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with M*A*S*H? [Big Grin]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolan
Member # 2106

- posted      Profile for carolan   Email carolan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm carolan and I'm not an insomniac. My only excuse is that I work nights so I'm in a constant state of sleep debt.

I needed to mention that I'm slightly horrified at the thought of 'canned chrysallis'.

Let's leave it at that...

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Beren.

I will look at those CDs and try out the sample. I have been looking for a way to enter meditation for both connecting to God and trying to relax my body and mind so I can sleep.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Another night.

Another night without sleep.

And a bad attitude.

*head bashing commences*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Someday I will learn not to drink caffine after 2pm. Someday . . . [Grumble]

<---- Had half a soda with supper. Will probably not sleep until 4.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Poor dkw. Have Bob rub your back. I do miss having a good back-rubbing partner . . . even if I couldn't sleep, I was deliciously relaxed.
alluvion
Member # 7462

*there's some gals I like quite a lot*
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Yuo aren't on strong cough syrup or steroids for the pneumonia, are you, Shan? They can keep people awake.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I think the initial "drying out" phase after two weeks of usage from the codeine/guiefnessan(sp?) cough syrup kicked off the insomnia, Theca. That ole "ker-boioioing" reaction.

The flovent and albuterol inhalant at full-dose give bad jitters and racing heart, so I take them at half-dose.

No caffeine products right now, in deference to the flovent/alb reaction.

However, it is definitely hard to sleep. Once I'm there, I definitely don't want to get up, though . . .

I figure at least part of it is due to the fact that my lungs aren't working well enough yet to let me get in my daily required dose of aerobic activity.

I think the answer is it will just take time, and getting weaned off the inhalants - my system is just super sensitive to chemicals . . . and needs strenuous physical activity on a daily basis in order to relax and sleep.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least you're not a cronic like me.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, I don't know about that, EM. I had to work hard over the first 34 years of my life to learn how to sleep - I've had insomnia since I was a kid. But about 2 years ago, it finally started leveling off, and I could be guaranteed decent sleep at least 4 out of 7 days. So this slide back is a little disturbing and frustrating. I'm sure it'll all resolve in time . . .
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

Oh shoot. I take that back then! LOL
Shan
Member # 4550

All right, everyone - I'm am going to bed now. And I am going to sleep soundly, undisturbedly, all night long.

*the power of positive thought, right?*

[Sleep]

alluvion
Member # 7462

g'night shannon.
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

Me too. I'm finally out as well. Nite.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
as an adult, that confounding puzzle is like sailing between the... (line? greek reference to twin debacles?)
Scylla and Carybdis (Caribdys?)
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

OK, I am going to bed now. Hopefully to sleep.
Shan
Member # 4550

Hah! NINE hours of sleep. Phew! What a lovely feeling.

*sigh of relief*

How 'bout the rest of you sleep-deprived folks - did you get a wink or forty?

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

I grabbed four, which means I'm tired as heck and will get eight or nine tonight.
Shan
Member # 4550

Okay, well I don' wanna do the reverse and only get a few tonight, so I am holding on to those good sleep vibes . . .

In case I can't though, I have the old Narnia series to watch while I do laundry and other household chores.

But, no! Positive sleep vibes - that's the ticket!

ARRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I gave it a valiant effort.

My yawns were so wide my face almost split in two.

My body was limp and my eyes were heavy.

I turned off the light, snuggled down tight, and ker-blammm . . .

I HATE MY STUPID F***ING HEAD THAT WON'T SHUT UP AND INSISTS ON RELIVING THE FINER (AND NOT SO FINE) POINTS DOWN THROUGH THE MINUTES, HOURS, DAYS, WEEKS, AND FREAKING YEARS OF MY LIFE.

*banging head emoticom would fit nicely right here*

[ June 05, 2005, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

Time for some insomniac haiku!!!

Locked in eternal embrace,
She torments my nights,
Forever eyes open.

Moonlight Temptress, K.V. Burch

[ June 08, 2005, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Exploding Monkey ]

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

Vampiric I seem,
Lust not for other's life blood,
Only for deep sleep.

Nocturnal Needs, me (again)

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

Mind is in a blur,
The lonely world closes around me,
Peace draws nearer now.

The Last Moments of Awareness, K.V. Burch

Nite-nite all... [Sleep]

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

To toil the morrow,
A restful night is needed,
Slumber will be mine.

Mission: Sleep, by me (yet again)

None of the insomniacs seem to want to play 'bad hakius' with me. Oh well, my mind will wander alone then. [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.