FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » pooka -- Please bag on the linguist in Stargate (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: pooka -- Please bag on the linguist in Stargate
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially one who does all that running and dodging hostile fire all the time.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.

Heaven forbid he should ever have to...you know...study?

Who knew being a scientist was so easy?

Sorry, I'm being snarky - ignore me.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He studies! He's in his lab with papers all the time when he's on-world, and he always seems to try to keep up with the latest papers, and he knows what his former colleagues are up to most of the time. Most of them, anyway.

Trevor, I love you lots, but don't you start bad-mouthing Daniel Jackson or Jack O'Neill, or I will have to kill you. [Razz]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Perhaps the male TV cast is hotter.

Did you *see* the pic I linked?

Meh. I could swing for Samantha Carter, but not that other girl.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Being an Air Force civilian consultant will do that.
I doubt it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I think Rivka was being very dry in her wit. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You two are walking a fine line, um, busters.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*moistens wit*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all about the Michael Shanks action. And not just because his last name is "Shanks."

Though most of the time on the show, the cultures/cultural influences shown ARE that easily identifiable, so it's really not THAT huge an accomplishment.

And I think Daniel Jackson is primarily an Egyptologist, and one of the few who's done research in the cross-pollination of ancient cultures. Or something.

quote:
I dream about SG-1. And I mean really realistic dreams. Usually with some scenario where I get to kiss one or the other of them.
You have those too, kq? I'm glad I'm not the only one.

On an unrelated SG note, anyone else excited for the foray into Arthurian legend this upcoming season? I know I saw Excalibur in the preview commercial...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Wow. Get him out of the ill-fitting air force gear and he looks a lot like Ben Bowder from Farscape.

Who just happens to be joining the show this upcoming season.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o

OK, now I *really* have to watch SG-1.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who just happens to be joining the show this upcoming season.
You pulling my leg?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
*dismounts MPH's leg*

sorry 'bout that!

*runs away with shameful tail between legs*

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Nope.

Sci-Fi Channel

-Trevor

Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else have dreams that they are on missions with SG:1?

(Jack O'Neal saved my life once on a mission. *dreamy sigh* [Smile] )

Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I believe I've now talked about my SG-1 dreams several times.

But yes. [Big Grin]

(Minor point, though: It's "O'Neill".)

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. So if I start watching SG-1, am I going to have tons of sexy fantasy dreams too?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
All this sexual objectification! For shame, ladies! For shame!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
For shame!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wait, so my husband can have dreams about women in movies he sees, but I can't have dreams about men in Stargate? [Confused]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You all make me wish for cable TV so I too could enjoy the wonders which you speak of . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I guess I better check in here...

One really great thing about being young in the 80's was the panoply of cheap movies starring James Spader. And I'm so glad my sister got me to watch Sex Lies and Videotape even though I can't recommend it in my official capacity as the poo-pooer of all R rated movies.

The draft script on the internet doesn't seem to have what I was looking for. I may just have to watch the movie again. The sacrifices I make for Hatrack. Okay, those of you who have seen the movie, doesn't Daniels say something about understanding the language once he got the vowels straightened out, or did I merely pick that up from the context of him talking to Sheera?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Wait, so my husband can have dreams about women in movies he sees, but I can't have dreams about men in Stargate? [Confused]
Who said it was OK for him?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mothertree:
Okay, those of you who have seen the movie, doesn't Daniels say something about understanding the language once he got the vowels straightened out, or did I merely pick that up from the context of him talking to Sheera?

I don't think so . . .

[nitpick] Daniel, no S; and Sha're (Sheera would be a character from an 80s cartoon).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by mothertree:
Okay, those of you who have seen the movie, doesn't Daniels say something about understanding the language once he got the vowels straightened out, or did I merely pick that up from the context of him talking to Sheera?

I don't have the movie, so I can't check, but that sounds familiar.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Actually, what happened is this: Sha're's people were forbidden to write. But they had secret writings hidden away, and once Daniel saw the written words, he started pointing at them and pronouncing them, and she corrected his pronunciation. So, he did say something about the vowels being different, and there were a few other differences, but once he was able to grasp the main differences, he was able to communicate with them pretty effectively.
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
oh?
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
You all make me wish for cable TV so I too could enjoy the wonders which you speak of . . .

You don't need cable to enjoy the wonder that is Stargate. I don't have cable. I use Netflix. The first seven seasons of SG-1 are on DVD. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yup, we're up to season 6. I don't know how we're going to wait for the next one after we finish 7.

Except that I think I caught an ad for Stargate Atlantis on DVD. [Big Grin]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Goodness, mothertree. That bagging was kinda a let-down in comparison to the scalding diatribe I was expecting. [Wink]

(BTW, I've missed you over at GC)

Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I believe I've now talked about my SG-1 dreams several times.

But yes. [Big Grin]

(Minor point, though: It's "O'Neill".)

Ah, yes...I forgot.
"O'Neill...two l's" *holds up 3 fingers*

Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes! [Big Grin] *high fives*
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been over 10 years since I saw it. I would also have to review the qualifications that he presents at the beginning of the film. But as I recall, he was some form of Semitic Linguist, and in Semitic Languages the vowels don't hardly matter. Like, for several centuries the Koran was written with no vowels.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But the people on Abydos speak some form of Ancient Egyptian or some such, don't they?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Yup, we're up to season 6. I don't know how we're going to wait for the next one after we finish 7.

Except that I think I caught an ad for Stargate Atlantis on DVD. [Big Grin]

Darn it! Y'all passed me! (I have two episodes left of s5, and the first s6 disk came today.)

pooka, vowels don't signify in written Semitic languages, but they do when the languages are spoken, neh? And he was decoding a spoken language, and its shifts from the form he was familiar with.

If that doesn't work, then just remember: it's comics physics (well, linguistics, but you know what I mean) [Wink] .

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Darn it! Y'all passed me! (I have two episodes left of s5, and the first s6 disk came today.)

Muahahahaha! We are sending back disc one today, and will watch disc two tonight. Since we're also sending back disc one of season one of Lois and Clark, our next two are two more of season 6. [Big Grin]

This jeff job hunting and so not having to get up early most mornings is really paying off in the Stargate dept.

But he's going to be gone to CA next week from Wed. to Fri. [Frown] Without me! [Cry]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

Muahahahaha! We are sending back disc one today, and will watch disc two tonight.
Well, one couldn't-fall-asleep night later, and the last disc of s5 is in the mail.
quote:
Since we're also sending back disc one of season one of Lois and Clark, our next two are two more of season 6. [Big Grin]
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I NEVER ORDERED MY LOIS&CLARK DVD!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] *thwaps self* BAD FOLC!

Must do that, immediamente!
quote:

This jeff job hunting and so not having to get up early most mornings is really paying off in the Stargate dept.

[Razz]
quote:
But he's going to be gone to CA next week from Wed. to Fri. [Frown] Without me! [Cry]
Aw. *hug*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

'Salright, if he comes back with a $40,000 a year job and an opportunity to live both near my family and where I will have an opportunity to bring in at least another $10,000 a year without working outside the home (caring for my aunt's goddaughter's children in my home), I suppose it's worth it. And I still get to see Boon for her birthday, and we still get to spend Tue. (our anniversary) together. *sigh* It's just a few days. I can get through that. Especially with plenty of library books and some movies to watch.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.