FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need math help

Author Topic: I need math help
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Find measure of vertex angle in iso. triangle with sides 22 22 and 28

I don't know how to do it.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 

No, seriously. It comes to 79 degrees.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
please explain how
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hint: Draw a line from the vertex perpendicular to the baseline. You now have two right triangles to work with and the lengths of the sides of those triangles.

That should be a plenty big enough hint.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

Wow, I feel like a retard, ive been working on this for like 15 minues plus.
Airguitarist
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for Airguitarist           Edit/Delete Post 
You could also use the Law of Cosines:

A^2=B^2+C^2-2*B*C*cos(alpha)

Where A, B and C are the lengths of the sides of the triangle, and alpha is the angle oposite side A. Since you want to find the vertex, you would use A=28, B=22 and C=22, then use the inverse cosine function to solve for the angle.

(edit): wow, you guys are fast.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Starsnuffer, once you calculate it, please post what you got for whichever trig ratio you used and the final angle. Now I'm curious, but I don't want to do the math. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.