FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What I saw leaving work

Author Topic: What I saw leaving work
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I locked up the store I was working at and started walking to my car, it was in a larg shopping center so there was families going into and out of stores, some people window shopping, kids riding their bikes, police telling a guy to get down on the ground with their handguns out and ready..... [Eek!]

Now what struck me odd about this wasn't so much the police pointing a weapon at someone (ok it was my first time seeing something like that so it did strike me pretty odd. What made me feel really wierd was that for most the poeple in the parking lot it was as if nothing was going on, ten feet away from the policemen a family got out of a car and camly went into the pizza place.

Near me was a family and thinking the parents might want to take their kids somewhere a little safer then 50 feet away from Police in what was surely a dangerous situation, I pointed out the danger to them. So what did they do? The went over to where the police were to watch....with their young children.

Now I'm not married and I don't have children but I'd just assume that taking taking your family or even yourself closer to two men with guns pointed at another person, weather they are police or not, is not the smartest thing to do.

And it wasn't just this one family other people were starting to stop and stare some not more the ten feet away.

I don't know, the lack of concern for themselves, their family and the safety of the police officers who were dealing with what was possibly a dangerous person, just bothered me....

(Edited for grammer)

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
That is wierd.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Free entertainment and a lawsuit plus settlement if a cop misses and hits a kid.

Which is a renewable resource.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

[/cynicism]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the new desensitized United States of America.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that that's particularly surprising, but I do agree that the saner response would be to get your kids out of there.

quote:
Originally posted by Catseye1979:
(Edited for grammer)

It's rude of me, I know, and I'm at least somewhat sorry, but I find this quote vastly amusing.

Edit (after seeing Boris's post):

Nor do I think it's a strictly (or even predominantly) American response. It's just how people react to something that they are morbidly fascinated by, such as, say, a train wreck.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
You should've seen it before the Edit. [Wink]
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me they are reinforcing a valuable trait in twenty-first century America. All aspects of the treatment of suspects and criminals should be invisible to the average upstanding citizen, who has nothing to fear. You probably messed it up for those poor children.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.