FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Brave New World

Author Topic: Brave New World
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
I get it, we're the epsilons, and bean's the alpha
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I could go for some soma right about now. Or even some Soma.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
man i so need to buy another copy of that book... I've worn out three so far. Guess I could settle for Peter Gallagher in a pinch... although those eyebrows are SO distracting.

Ande I dunno 'bout you, but I'm certainly ranked higher than an epsilon. I'd like to think I'm a low to middle beta.

edit: make that a mid to high level beta LOL

[ June 10, 2005, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
man i so need to buy another copy of that book.
you liked it?

I mean, I read it because I had to for college. And I realize it's a classic. But I certainly wouldn't buy it just to read. And I haven't read it again since.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I liked it... and then some LOL

We read it senior year of high school for a class assignment. I devoured the book in the span of about three hours and over the duration of the assignment probably read it a dozen times or more. That was the first copy I wore out.

I bought another copy a few years later, just after Heather was born, I think. I tripped over it at the used bookstore and realized that it was no longer on my shelf, so I snapped it up. For a while I was re-reading it a couple times a year. I think either Heather or the dog contributed to the destruction of that copy, though.

Third copy was obtained four years ago, I don't have a clue what happened to that one.

And then when it was a TV movie a few years back with Peter Gallagher and Leonard Nimoy, I set the VCR on timer and made sure I recorded it. And of course I had to watch it last night...

There were quite a few school-required readings that I ended up liking enough to keep in the permanent collection, and a couple that we read from sschool-owned compilations that are on my list of "someday" acquisitions. BNW is one of the few that I reread with any real frequency, though.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Brave New World was one of the books we read in a Utopias (and some Dystopias) class I took in college. I don't know, it just seemed like that class had more really great reads than almost any other class I took. We also read 1984, More's Utopia, Skinner's Walden Two, Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time, Gilman's Herland, Huxley's Island, and a bunch of others I can't even remember.

By the way, Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy is a book I don't think I've ever recommended here. It's a great one. Read it.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it a few years ago. I was kinda disappointed. Probably because my hopes were too high. I'd heard so much about it...

I guess I just prefer Orwellian dystopias...

("dystopia" is a fun word to say)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved Brave New World. It's a marvelous novel.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>I guess I just prefer Orwellian dystopias...

Brave New World's dystopia scared me more. In 1984's society, someone raised within the system still has a chance to rebel.

In BNW, it takes an outsider. The conditioning process makes it impossible for anyone else to do the job.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
About Brave New World -- I really like the first half or so, and especially the first chapter. But toward the end I start to lose interest. I think I enjoy the descriptions of the dystopic society more than I enjoy the actual plot involving the Savage.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked BNW. I'd heard about it when my brother was in HS, so when I was a sophomore I borrowed it from the senior english teacher who was also my journalism teacher.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think 1984 was better literature, but Brave New World's society scared me for being more ambiguous.

**** 1984 Spoiler ****

Scott, people may rebel, but no one successfully rebels in 1984.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read Huxley's non-fiction follow-up, something like "Brave New World Revisited." In it he looks at each of the major predictions he makes - Soma, psychological conditioning, etc. - and analyzes the likelihood of each in various countries.

It's a good read, especially if you liked the novel.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

<whew> I'm glad I'm not the only one that liked BNW =) And Dags, I'm now off to the library's website to see if I can track down a copy of BNWR
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like BNW much. i was disapointed too. it was interesting for awhile, but then it trailed off and nothing happened.
like spanish movies. but they're usually really good anyway.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Brave New World. I had to read it in 10th grade english class, which was my favorite year of high school english. We read Brave New World, 1984, Farehnheit 451, Lord of the Flies, and some of other books that escape my memory, possibly Anthem. Anyway, it was by far the coolest collection of books I had to read in highschool besides a Science Fiction short story class that I took senior year.

Dagonee, I have a kind of silly confession to make. That year when we read those books, my english teacher recommended Brave New World Revisited to me as a follow up, cause she thought I might enjoy it. I forgot about it and years later picked it up at a used book store, mistakenly thinking it was a sequel to the original. I didn't own a copy of the original book, and since I wanted to refresh myself on the original before I read the sequel I never read it. And still haven't. And up until 5 minutes ago was still under the mistaken assumption that it was a direct fiction sequel to Brave New World....Whoops!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Brave New World and Heart of Darkness for the same college lit class. Can't for the life of me remember why, now.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.