FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On Studying:

Author Topic: On Studying:
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I had my math textbook open to the first of the 3 chapters which I must master and dominate and utterly absorb and learn overnight.

Then I saw on TV on the OC a girl giving another a heart necklace...and it was such a symbolic gesture. I am so utterly touched by the beauty of one symbol, of how cold silver can hold such love between the atoms -- where does it all fit, and why does it not overflow?

I saw a man telling another one about the fact that he is dying and wants to see his daughter. The answer? "I understand." But do you? Can you ever?

Who are we, us humans?

In other news, I probably should study.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, yeah.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Moreover, what does it mean to be human? Is it to love your offspring so much that you desire to cheat death only long enough to see them one last time? Or is that only what we are trained to do by our outside culture? Which came first, really, the chicken or the egg?

It is the answers to these questions that our brightest minds, such as young Phanto here, should dedicate their time seeking out, instead of uselessly trying to "utterly absorb" the writings of lesser mortals whose purpose is to financially bankrupt the rising generation by charging ridiculously high prices for these so-called "textbooks."

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had my math textbook open to the first of the 3 chapters which I must master and dominate and utterly absorb
Good first step
quote:
and learn overnight.

Oh man. Do you need the "buy, don't rent" lecture?
quote:
Then I saw on TV
[No No] No TV till you're done studying, young man! No Hatrack, either -- except maybe for 5 minutes every half hour, as incentive. Study, get a little Hatrack.

Rinse, repeat.

quote:
Who are we, us humans?

[Razz] STALLING!
quote:
In other news, I probably should study.
Yah think? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Studying is for wimps. The true geek intuits the results, or derives them from first principles.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let the negativity get to you.

I'm with KOM, studying is highly overrated. Work on your gaming skills. They'll get you through college.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[No No] Shame Shame for corrupting our youth!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, what math is it? You are passing up an opportunity to get into some very deep truths of the universe. Contemplation of math is far cooler and deeper than could possibly be contemplation of mere humanity. [Smile]

Seriously, I love math. If you get stuck just ask. I need the practice.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Math is a fabulous field in that it is nature. Strip away everything to its deepest core and what will you have? Numbers and theories.

Atoms, and geometric relationships -- VSEPER, tetrahedral shape of a CFl4 molecule.

The geometry of sexual lust -- ah, his face has a 60 degree angle in the little patch of bone structure hair -- all the girls are going to jumping on him!

Math in an absolute form is the universe, and I do not believe that a true master of math includes subdivisions into algebra, calculus or anything. It all stems from an application of the study of the universe.

Math is a philosophy. Math is the reduction of the world into another form; it is a transformation of raw beauty into raw thought, and sometimes raw thought can be raw beauty.

Anyways...

I had a cup of coffee then danced through my kitchen, practicing the martial arts. Somehow these actions gave me focus. I sat down and I felt that mythical beast under my control; I had my mind with me, and for once, we were going to work as a team.

Coffee, you see, helps me focus. And I guess exercise does as well. Combine them, and the conclusion is that I can actually study.

As an added note, I have not played a computer game in sooo many months. I am no gamer, my friends [Wink] .

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

BY THE GODS, I FEEL FOCUS.

It is all too clear now. Coffee + excersie makes me focus. And when I am focused, the world shifts into such a beautiful place. Such a simple combination is all that it takes to force my mind from its unconcentrated blob into a glowing structure that can focus its will on whatever it wills to. Such as posting a rant on hatrack [Wink] .

Janger
Member # 4719

- posted      Profile for Janger   Email Janger         Edit/Delete Post 
VESPER, Tetrahedral shapes of molecules? It sounds more like chemistry than math... I personally hate studying and with the shadow of exams casting its shadow, I'm forced once again to retreat to my room and begin cramming.

p.s. School sucks!

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Yes, but the thing is that in the end, everything can be written as an expression of math, and because of my current state of mind, as I look around the room, everything is reduced to a geometric shape. And as I peer deeper into the composition of things, the geometric patterns are there as well.

Let us be honest. Forget sex. Forget food. Forget thirst. We are nothing but applications of geometric formulas! Now of course, those geometric formulas that go into things like sex can be QUITE fun [Smile] .

Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you probably had a little TOO much coffee... [Wink]
Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.