FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hobbes is awful sorry [Update on the correspondence]! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hobbes is awful sorry [Update on the correspondence]!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the invocation of King of Men is responsible for the impression of a hooplah. We could make a new Law.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I just like using the word hooplah and try to work into at least one conversation.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*

I'd just like you to know that actually DID make me snort with laugher. [Smile]

[I was actually referring to Katie's wit]

[ June 22, 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

[Big Grin] That's why I try to use it.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Strictly speaking, I ain't never s'posed to do this."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Sorry Dags, I don't know that one.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hudsucker Proxy.

Wow, when I posted this it didn't even occur to me that could've been offensive. I'm really sorry about that! [Frown] I'm going to re-read the thread and then... well apologize more formally.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
*snort*

I'd just like you to know that actually DID make me snort with laugher.

[I was actually referring to Katie's wit]

Oh...well...I still like saying hooplah...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You're such a darling, Hobbes. [Smile]

For some reason, every time I say hooplah, I want to do jazz hands.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
As an explanation, I woke up this morning to an e-mail a friend from Purdue had sent me (who is a non-denominational preacher going back to school, we had a couple CS classes together). He was aware that I was going on a mission for the LDS Church, and with it coming up, I guess he wanted to make a pitch. Anyways, he sent me a long e-mail explaining why I had allowed the Churches community and acceptance to lull me into accepting a fake, evil doctrine. And then explained quite explicitly that the Mormon Church was very much not Christian and I needed to run away from it. My first post was kind of a hodgepodge of quotes from the letter.

I'm sorry that I posted it in an inflammatory way, I certainly didn't mean offense to anyone here! DKW, I absolutely don't think in the least that you ever showed a lack of concern for me, or in anyway failed being a friend to me, which as much as you can be in a forum like this. (((DKW))) I'm the sorriest that the thought even crossed your mind!

As a follow up, I did e-mail him back, and tried to explain some of his issues with the Church and then ended with this:

quote:
I appreciate that you care about me, and I understand that that's why
you wrote this, but I'm afraid that there's little you can inform me
of that I don't already know about my Church. I went into this Church
knowing quite a bit about the doctrine, as well as the doctrine of
other Churches. I walked into this with eyes open. If you want to
continue to explain why you think I'm wrong I wont stop you, and I'm
sure I'll read it (well... for the next week until I stop read this
e-mail account) but having received revelation, for myself, from the
Spirit of God as to the truthfulness of the Gospel of Christ and His
Church, there is little you can do to dissuade me.

He hasn't written me back yet (not surprising, it just happened). And... umm... I'm sorry again.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Then they wouldn't be jazz hands. They'd be hooplah hands.

Eve and I (OK, me more than Eve) have a theory that any emotion can be enhanced by quickly waggling ones hands in front of oneself, palms out.

Scary hands.

"There's ice cream!" hands.

Deep-seeded yet unidentifiable meloncholy hands.

And now, hooplah hands!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Well, at least now I feel like I contributed something to this thread... hooplah hands...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, "There's ice cream!" hands sound like something straight out of The Sims 2. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I can't believe that with the crap against religion spewed on this board, Hobbes is the one getting chastised.

Let me tell you about my middle brother. He's the one we call the changeling. One reason is that he doesn't look like any of the rest of us. (We have two "molds" -- fair, blond and blue-eyed (one brother and my sister) and dark, brunet and hazel-eyed (my youngest brother and me). Middle brother has very dark hair, almost black, and extremely pale blue eyes and pale skin.)

The other reason is that from a very early age (before age 10), he behaved in a way that was incredibly mature and good. And by "good" I mean practically angelic. (Now in his mid-twenties, he is a kind and wonderful man that I am proud just to be related to.)

When he did something wrong, he got in WAY more trouble that any of the rest of us would have. (This is something my parents now feel bad about.) Not fair at all -- but a very human reaction.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*

Lovely hooplah hands...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, this thread is weird. I'm getting out before it rubs off on me [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
S'okey Hobbes. I knew you meant it to be funny. I wouldn't have posted at all, if people didn't seem so confused as to what anyone could possibly object to.

Am I correct that you weren't raised in any church? I ask because it seems particularly pointless to me to point out the differences between LDS and mainline Christianity as a reason to "deconvert" someone who was never a mainline Christian. I mean, it might make a difference to someone who had always been some sort of Christian and joined the LDS without fully examining the differences because they assumed it was pretty much the same, but if you weren't a "traditional" Christian before you became LDS, why would you care whether or not you are one now?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if I were going to try to deconvert Hobbes, I'd use an entirely different line of argument.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee, our missionaries devote their time and resources to inviting people to hear about the restored gospel, to share the good news, as it were. We don't spend resources fighting against any supposed evils of other churches. We respect and admire other religions and know that they have been given much that is good and true.

We only wish to invite and welcome all people into the blessings of our faith, the fulness of the restored gospel. So it's not quite the same thing as battling against the supposed evils of this or that other religion, I don't think. Do you?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Tatiana, did you just call Mormons rulers?

Straightedge? [Smile]

From the Urban Dictionary:
quote:
4. straightedge
1.One who does not take part in alcohol, tobacco use, drug use, premarital sex, etc. for the duration of one's lifetime.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Kate, do you actually know any real straight-edge kids? Like, actual members of the movement?

A good number of my friends were straight-edgers in the early nineties. And while the straight-edge movement and the Mormons share a position on the use of mind-altering substances, it's safe to say that this is pretty much where the similarities end.

And that's not entirely a slam on Mormons, mind you. There are disturbing neo-fascist elements of the straight-edge movement that I don't think Mormons would want to share. We're talking about a group that has not only advocated but committed firebombings of fast food restaurants.

Now, don't get me wrong: I could see a lot of Mormons signing up for SXE, especially when you consider how popular the cult of violence is among young Mormon men (remember the Fight Club thing). But SXE is at heart a fascist, militant, post-punk, and mainly vegan gang designed to literally combat other gangs.

Again, I could see SXE being really popular with some elements of Salt Lake society. But I don't think there's otherwise a lot of overlap.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Tom, I use the word in its sense defined above, and not meaning a member of the musical movement that coined the word. I thought that would be really clear.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ah. See, I use the word "tee-total" when that's all I mean to say. To me, at least, calling someone SXE just because they're clean and sober is like calling someone a Republican because they're anti-abortion.

Maybe it's just because I lived on the fringes of the movement for so long, but it's weird to hear the term applied as just a random slang for clean living. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I have heard the word used in this sense far more than references to the musical movement, though I was aware of the word's origins. It's really a good word for it, I think, and we need one and there's not one. [Smile] To me tee-total means refraining from using alcohol only.

Any undertones of violence, which I never caught, are certainly unfortunate.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm not sure why tee-total is inadequate...?
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, around here straight-edge means "don't drink or do drugs" so I think it's grown in its definition.

edit to add: Strider says it's understood among his peers (fraternity folk) and age group that straight-edge means you don't drink or do any drugs. Tee-totaler (those who'd recognize the word -- i think it's more archaic among the young folk) definitely refers to only alcohol.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

How odd. It's like learning that the word "Nazi" has come to mean "someone who likes wearing armbands."
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same way here, too.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I wonder when this happened. I am apparently very old.

Can anyone else think of an organizational membership that's been turned into a depoliticized term in this fashion? I just find this very, very strange. What other gang memberships are now used to describe lifestyles?

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard the term straight edge used for anything besides a ruler. I must be even older than Tom. [Confused]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I don't know about gang memberships, but I think it's fairly common in English that a term that was once specific can come to be used in a more general sense. I'm trying to think of a good example but failing. [Smile] Some of our language nazis should help me out.... Bingo!

<laughs> A nazi can now mean anyone who is zealous or strict about their given subject. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Belle, the straight-edge phenomenon -- abbreviated SXE -- was a fairly successful movement that combined liberal politics with clean living requirements. It appealed to hardcore punks and skateboarders (and was promoted by many of their favorite bands), had its own tattoos, and advocated a vegan, drug-free lifestyle coupled with a form of in-your-face, extremist sloganeering. And, in many cities around the country, it helped bring the gentle political discussions for which the mosh pit became famous to skate parks everywhere.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I would never be accepted in such a movement, as I avoid violence and drink milk. <milk-moustached peace-sign smilie>
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Tom on the definition here, although I knew it's been being used in a more, um, mellow, sense recently. Was the movement maybe more predominant in the Upper MidWest, that we're the two that have that as our primary definition?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

It might just be that people who aren't familiar with the punk scene have heard the term in a "no thanks, I'm straight-edge" sense and naturally assumed that this was all it meant.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really all that familiar with the punk scene myself, though. I just liked to dance at goth clubs. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard the term used in the full violent neo-fascist sense. But I've often heard it used in the generic clean, straight-arrow sense. Sort of like people often use the term "nazi" to refer to domineering and dictatorial people and grammar lovers.

But I've only ever heard "teetotaler" used in the sense of someone who abstains from alcohol. Nothing more.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
liked?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"But I've often heard it used in the generic clean, straight-arrow sense."

That's what I find funny. Because while SXE is definitely "clean," "straight-arrow" is not a word I would apply to most of its members. [Smile]

When I hear "Mormons are straight-edge," I get this image of a bunch of tall, skinny boys with freckles and extremely dull haircuts, their white shirts and thin black ties barely covering their tribal tattoos and multiple piercings while they sweatily punch each other in the face and shout along with a Black Flag cover band. And trying to find garments that flare at the ankle, ideally to at least a 50" diameter.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let me tell you about my middle brother. He's the one we call the changeling. One reason is that he doesn't look like any of the rest of us. (We have two "molds" -- fair, blond and blue-eyed (one brother and my sister) and dark, brunet and hazel-eyed (my youngest brother and me). Middle brother has very dark hair, almost black, and extremely pale blue eyes and pale skin.)

The other reason is that from a very early age (before age 10), he behaved in a way that was incredibly mature and good. And by "good" I mean practically angelic. (Now in his mid-twenties, he is a kind and wonderful man that I am proud just to be related to.)

Dana, this absolutely freaked me out. I have written a short story about a young woman who looks nothing like her family (they're blond or brown haired and she has blue eyes and jet black hair; they're short, she's very tall) and she finds out she was born with fairy blood.

When you said he was a changeling, well, I had a twilight-zone moment.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I've never heard the term straight edge used for anything besides a ruler. I must be even older than Tom. [Confused]

Aren't you a year or two older than I am? And I know that I'm a year older than Tom is.

Anyway, I'm with you on never having heard straight-edge used to refer to anything other than something used to draw lines with before.

But unlike Tom, I've never heard teetotaler used to specify anything other than not drinking. Then again, in most of the circles I float about in, lack of drug use is assumed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I've heard straight-edge as in a ruler before. But that was in Georgia.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, I beleive that was rivka that you are quoting.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm in california I remember Black Flag being big but I don't remember the term "straight edge" being in use. I'll ask a couple of my CA cultural consultants who would know far more about that kind of thing, since they didn't grow up in a cave.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe. Yes, yes, I suppose it is. I just read brown hair hazel eyes, blond hair blue eyes and pictured you and ElJay.

But I'm not going to edit the post since then yours will look weird. [Smile]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
Hehehe. Yes, yes, I suppose it is. I just read brown hair hazel eyes, blond hair blue eyes and pictured you and ElJay.

But I'm not going to edit the post since then yours will look weird. [Smile]

But you missed the part of there being three brothers, hmm? [Wink]

I think we're even (re: "nephy") now. [Big Grin]

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I hear "Mormons are straight-edge," I get this image of a bunch of tall, skinny boys with freckles and extremely dull haircuts, their white shirts and thin black ties barely covering their tribal tattoos and multiple piercings while they sweatily punch each other in the face and shout along with a Black Flag cover band. And trying to find garments that flare at the ankle, ideally to at least a 50" diameter.
[Eek!]

I think that mormons are a brand of rulers.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what's going on.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was really funny when I moved to Utah and heard people call a ruler a straight edge. It seems like calling a protractor a round thing.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
<laughs> A nazi can now mean anyone who is zealous or strict about their given subject. [Smile]

Yes, a lot of people do use the word that way now.

However, many still find the use of that word offensive when used in that way.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.