FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So... we've finally decided to divorce

Author Topic: So... we've finally decided to divorce
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've used this forum as a sounding board during this past year or so. I appreciate the tollerance. It has certainly helped with the strfess to be able to get things off my chest. So thanks.

Anyways, we decided it's for the best. It's time to move on. I'm stressed out about how things are going to shake out. We've agreed to be peacfull about it all but I worry about the kids. We want to have shared custody and I'm ok with that but she's talking about all kind of money issues that have me concerened. I have no idea what the Ohio divorce laws are and I'll be seeing a lawyer to figure out my exact responsibilty. Any one have any ideas? So send me good vibes and hope for the best.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Just, please, whatever you do, don't talk bad about your ex to your kids. My mom used to pick us up from a weekend with my dad, grill us, criticize anything we let slip (as opposed to completely evading her questions) and then tell us that we were "only bad after [we'd] seen [our] father."

My dad wasn't so overt, but it was still there. Please, try really hard not to do it. It still hurts.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but good luck in your life. I hope you find happiness, whatever that will be for you.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If you guys can work it out to still be friends or at least friendly with each other, it'll go a long way in keeping your kids balanced. And you guys focusing on that is certainly good.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, dude. Good luck, or whatnot.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear things are going that badly, beatnix. Good luck with all the legal stuff. I hope you find happiness as you move on. Be good to your kids.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Divorce is always hard for all involved. I hope yours goes as smoothly as possible. Good luck.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix, from what you've said in the past, this doesn't surprise me, and, remember that you did really try and took your time with this decision. In other words, don't beat yourself up over it...just move on.

And give yourself time before starting another relationship. You've had a lot of time to prepare for this, but believe me it will still put you on a roller-coaster of emotions and self-doubt. I know lots of guys who reacted to this "phase" by becoming misogynistic frat-boy/caveman hybrids. I'm sure you know a few as well. (Example: one guy started hanging out at the local water park so he could spend all day making sexist comments about teenage girls. As far as I know he never went further with that, but he was a complete drag to be around and I was very worried about what he might let himself do just because he wanted to spread his pain around...) (another guy I know hung out on the internet and married a MUCH younger woman. They seem happy though)

Anyway, there is good news at the end of all this. I suspect you'll find out a lot about yourself, and your kids. And it will surprise you to get to know yourself all over again.

I hope the money situation isn't horrible. I don't know Ohio's laws either. If the custody is truly "joint" and your income levels are fairly comparable, it would seem reasonable to not have much money change hands. Sadly, my advice on this regard is to get a great lawyer. Not just the best you can afford, but one that is truly experienced and isn't going to give up too easily.

You don't want to leave your ex in dire straights, but you also don't want to make it so you can't afford to live decently either. It's going to be painful in many ways, but the court can really mess with your finances if they don't feel you've dealt in good faith. So, you need a lawyer who knows not to play stupid games with the judge and who can stop the other side from pulling a fast one.

And if they ask you for information, provide it promptly and with a smile. Last thing you want is to appear uncooperative. Especially in front of the judge or arbitrator.

Good luck on that score.

I know you'll do well in all the other parts. Just give yourself time and try not to make too many BIG decisions when you're still in the depression (i.e., toxic) phase of the grieving process.

Some decision-making is required. But anything that can be put off until you feel ready, should be.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with KQ, that's the worst thing you can do. It puts the kids in such an awful situation.

*hugs* Good luck, beatnix. Just take a deep breath. You'll be fine.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
That's rough, beatnix. Hang in there.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents got divorced when I was 6, and they did a truly wonderful job at making us kids feel secure and not like bargining chips. I don't know how old your kids are, but if they're old enough (and my parents felt I was at my age), involve them in any decisions that will affect them--where they spend the weekends, who they spend vacations with... Try to split it up as evenly as possible, but listen to what the kids have to say. If your ex-wife descends to bad behavior, don't follow her. Just tell the kids why you choose to NOT behave in that way, without judging their mother.

Good luck with everything!

P.S. A family counsler can help at times like these, just to sort out kid stuff between the parents, and to have another adult telling the kids that it will be ok.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to Bob. He's a wise man.

I'm sorry this happened, but it's clear you can trust your choices once you've had time to consider them. Hang onto that trust so you don't second-guess yourself more than you have to.

Ditto on the lawyer. You want someone who won't play games but can call the other side on it if they try. Many "amicable" divorces become hostile because of one or both of the lawyers. Make it clear you don't want to roll over but also that you're not trying to get revenge. If your state has a mediation/arbitration program, make sure your lawyer knows how to navigate it.

Good luck.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix, it sounds like you have tried. I wish the best and join the chorus of voices saying please be on good terms with your ex-wife for your children's sake.
quote:
(another guy I know hung out on the internet and married a MUCH younger woman. They seem happy though)
*amused*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a child support calculator for Ohio. I found it surprising.

Another web site on your financial rights. Very broad strokes, but interesting.

http://www.split-up.com/splitgen/sp/oh/yourfinancialrights.htm

Some more.

http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/ohio.shtml

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
((beatnix))

First of all, don't let anyone tell you that your kids are from a broken home. Their home may be different, but it will never be broken. I've been divorced for over 6 years, and it is possible to raise well-adjusted, secure kids through a divorce. My ex and I are not friends, but we are business partners in a sense. We are unfailingly polite to one another in front of our children and do not talk each other down. I read once that the best thing you can do for your child is to give him/her permission to love the other parent, and I've found that to be very true. I might not like my ex, but our children love him and always will.

Hang in there. There will be bumps, especially in the first few years, but they will work themselves out. Remain devoted to doing what's best for your children and you won't go wrong. And don't waste time on guilt.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
((beatnix))

Good luck with everything, I'll be thinking of you. You gave it your best shot, and you'll always be able to say you didn't just give up on your marriage without trying... no what-ifs to haunt you, and that is a good thing.

Hug your kids, and be good to yourself.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry.

Good luck.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((beatnix)))
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there beatnix. I know that you will do a good job af balancing it all and keeping your kid's best interests in mind.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. She actually started looking for a place of her own today. WE haven't talked with the kids yet but I hope to do that as soon as we have some definate plans for our seperation. I've kind of been feeling them out a bit with out saying too much yet. I think if we work together we will be able to make this happen smoothly.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix.. a good book that I found very helpful is called "The truth about children and divorce" by John Emery... he's a psychologist who has done a great deal of research on the topic, and he is also a counselor who has worked with divorcing couples for many years. I found his advice practical, realistic and invaluable...it's especially helpful with such things as telling your kids.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your divorce. [Frown]

Good luck and hang in there.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, that's a horrid thing to say, and not appropriate. Please edit it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix, I recommend the Sandcastles book very highly. Well written, very insightful, and very useful.

I'm sorry you and your kids are going through this, but know that you WILL be ok. It may take a while. Email or AIM anytime. [Smile]

[ June 23, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Occasional. Seriously. You're not being cool, and your comments, however you feel, are NOT APPROPRIATE. This is not the place. If you want to start a thread on your feelings on divorce in general, that's fine. But don't rag on an individual who has done so much to avoid this, but, lamentably, decided it has to be.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Occasional. DID YOU READ ALL HIS PRIOR POSTS ABOUT HIS MARRIAGE? If not, EDIT YOUR POST AND GO DO IT BEFORE YOU SAY ANOTHER WORD. Please.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
From the user agreement.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, you don't know the circumstances. You know almost nothing about this. You are not party to what's been happening in that marriage, nor are you a participant in the decision making process. It's not up to you and it's not for you to judge, regardless of your feelings.

Drop it.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're right, kq. Sorry.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*agrees*
You are way out of line... He's in enough pain enough as it is...

I'm sorry it has been so stressful for you, Beatnix. You are a cool guy.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It wasn't directed at you, rivka. But if you feel you've been out of line, that just serves to emphasise my point.
rivka
Member # 4859

Not out of line. I just shouldn't have posted it anyway.

But I think I'll leave it.

[Addit: Yeah, changed my mind.]

[ June 23, 2005, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to add that I have read the threads about Beatnix's situation, and I have come to strongly admire his strength in holding his marriage together as long as possible under circumstances that would have been unbearable for many people. I am not easily offended, and your rude comments on this situation without even *trying* to understand the situation are extremely offensive to me, Occasional.

Just had to echo the others.

Good luck, Beatnix. You have been so strong for so long, and I wish you the best.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, now that his post is gone...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And we look like we're tilting at windmills...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Except that rivka quoted the original post.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
You can all paste and copy your comments on my newly opened thread about divorce. Then get rid of the ones here so that I'm not "messing with" this one.

P.S. I will delete this reply eventually.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sorry, dude, not gonna do it.
hansenj
Member # 4034

ditto
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, don't delete them. However, that kind of seems to be hypocritical for the reason you slammed me in the first place.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hypocritical? How the *heck* do you figure that?
hansenj
Member # 4034

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't think pretending the conversation didn't happen is fixing things in any way. You have still refused openly to understand Beatnix's background. Because if you did take the time to find out more about the situation, you would also find that you have significant reason to apologize for your behavior--not for your personal views, but for your accusations toward someone who probably holds very similar views on divorce as yourself.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, I think we need to let it die. If he's not going to apologize, we shouldn't prolong it.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It just steams me...
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional's comments were out of place on this thread, and I appreciate that he has removed them from here. I think the making nature of the board would be well served if the conversation about the posts were at least dropped, if not also removed.

My further comments will be on the other thread.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.