FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Kansas Area Jatraqueros! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hey Kansas Area Jatraqueros!
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. Sure. I've always wondered about those.

[Smile]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am available anytime but I assume that Noemon has family obligations until sometime in the mid to late afternoon. Why don't we let him tell us what works time wise for him?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Farmgirl letting me know what time she might be coming in. Noemon can show up whenever he wants, but she's coming from quite a distance, so she might want to spend some time here. I mean, if we have dinner around 5ish, and she gets here at 4 and then has to leave at 6, it would kind of suck.

I was just wondering if she'd like to come up earlier in the day and stay a spell. Depending on what time she comes, I'll tell Caleb what time I'll get him. (we can flip to see who brings him home. [Wink] )

And drinks! What kind of drinks do you want? Going to the store tomorrow. . .

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

That makes sense, Kayla and btw I've never been able to flip. Can we arm wrestle instead?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

No. It'll give us something to make fun of you about. That and it will be easier to cheat and make you drive him home! [Big Grin]
punwit
Member # 6388

Oh, man! Let's see, who can I entreat to provide flipping lessons for me? Ahh ha! I'm gonna get flipping lessons from Mack. You've been forewarned.
Kayla
Member # 2403

[Laugh]

You know, I could just flip and you could call heads or tails. Like they do in football.

Kayla
Member # 2403

But mack would be the best teacher for someone wanting to learn the basics of flipping.
punwit
Member # 6388

Ohh, you meant flip a coin. I was envisioning us standing at 20 paces and seeing who could do a flip or perhaps who could do the Mack flip with the most flair. [Wink] Perhaps I should include the wink graemlin when I'm joking?
punwit
Member # 6388

Kayla, for your enjoyment.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We've forgotten babager in Dodge City! We will see if we can contact her!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh -- I will ballpark it and say we will probably arrive sometime between 3 pm and 5 pm. I don't know. We could possibly make it earlier, but there are a couple of Saturday morning things here that haven't been addressed yet, so I don't yet know a definate of when I will get out of here.

About 3 hours to drive there, right?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay - I'm going to triple post. Sorry.

Ivygirl got ahold of babager via IM and she says she has to work and can't come [Frown] Wish I had thought to contact her earlier.
Can we think of any other Kansas even-occasional posters that we might have missed?

Kayla -- my kids wanted me to ask what the fireworks rules/laws are in your town. If they decide to pop a few, is it legal there? (if not, we won't -- I personally think it is a huge waste of money)

FG

Kayla
Member # 2403

Fireworks are legal here. Not in Lawrence, but in Eudora, no problem. The funny thing about Lawrence is you can buy them all over town, but you can't have them in the city limits. So, after you buy them, I'm not sure how you are supposed to get home.

But there are stands here and they can set them off. I'd forgotten how much I hated this time of year till I nearly peed my pants last night when some loud ones went off unexpectedly. (Not legal till the first! [Mad] )

punwit, I thought you meant a "flipping off" contest. And though I doubt you could beat me, mack would be the best person to learn from.

Though, at first, I wondered how hard it could possibly be to flip a stupid coin. [Confused]

Kayla
Member # 2403

And, BTW, today is the last day to put in a preference for drinks!

Sprite?
Coke?
Dr. Pepper?
Diet something?
Bueller?

punwit
Member # 6388

Water is fine with me, Kayla.

BTW, I'm preparing for our duel, learning at the feet of a master.

Kayla
Member # 2403

[Big Grin]
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not able to attend but I thank you for remembering me. Things seem busy for me right now.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

[Frown]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper

But we will be happy to bring our own. And I'm sure my daughter will want to bring Gatorade. So don't worry about drinks too much.

I will tell them about the fireworks -- although I will suggest they shoot them at the city park or something -- fireworks really bother dogs, so I really don't like for them to shoot them at all...

FG

Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
fireworks really bother dogs, so I really don't like for them to shoot them at all...
[Confused]

Are you telling us you are a dog?

[Wink]

quote:
although I will suggest they shoot them at the city park or something --
Hey, I have 5 large trees and a house I would like to accidentally burn down. City park. Ha.

Though I feel the same way about fireworks, having known a guy who lost both legs in a stupid fireworks accident. But my husband and son buy stuff from around here and nothing too big and we've had really good luck. I hate the noisy ones and prefer the ones that are just pretty at night. Like the cones of flames thingies. They are like a sparkler shower. Those are really the only ones I like.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger I'd save all year to buy fireworks. My friends and I would road trip out of state to buy fireworks that were illegal in KS, and then have massive firework wars in which, miraculously, no one was ever seriously hurt, and no houses or stretches of woods were set on fire.

Now? Meh. I could see buying a brick of jumping jacks or something, but generally I don't get around to it.

Kayla, I'll drink whatever's cool and nontoxic in reasonable quantities. Most soft drinks are fine with me, as are water, iced tea, etc.

Punwit, are you bringing a jug of FreeState beer? Copperhead's probably my favorite, but again I'm pretty flexible--anything from a cyclist to barleywine sounds good to me.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Yeah, I'll bring a growler or two. Be safe on your way here and I'll see ya Saturday.
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
hey hey more kansans...

Dodge City over here

I'm not a familiar I know
just wanted to make myself known to other mid-west based Card fans

um...ok I'm done

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

You wanna come?

You're almost as far away from Farmgirl as she is from me.

Noemon
Member # 1115

You'd be welcome, ShadowPuppet (assuming that you're either A)over 18 or B)have a parent's/guardian's permission to come). It'd be quite a drive though.

Punwit, no need to stock up on an extraordinary amount of beer on my account. I love the taste, but I'm not a big fan of the sensation of being drunk, and I'm a bit of a lightweight, so I won't have all that much--a glass or two tops.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah, and anyone driving can only have a glass or two tops. [No No]

So, like I said, a six-pack?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Another question from my teens, Kayla.

Does the city park have tennis courts, and/or basketball court or anything like that if they decide to go run off some energy? Eudora looks small enough that everything should be within walking distance....

FG

Kayla
Member # 2403

I have no idea. I'll find out today and let you know. I do know that there are baseball fields, a football field around which there is a track, the pool, which they've tried 2 or 3 times to pass a bond issue to rebuild. . . but that is all just at the park that is a half a mile from my house. I know there is another park on the other side of town and I don't know what is over there.

My son has a basketball, if that helps.

Oh, wait! Yes, they do! I remember once I went to see my son's track meet and over by the shot put area, there are tennis courts. I remember this because someone had left a glove (I would have called it a racquetball glove, but I suppose they wear them in tennis and baseball, too) in the middle of the court and my husband, the scavenger, went and got it. [Roll Eyes] I have no idea what kind of shape the courts are in though. I will check that out today.

punwit
Member # 6388

Kayla, I'm not bringing prepackaged beer. Free State Brewery allows you to fill half-gallon jugs. One growler (half gallon jug) is a little over 5 12 ounce pours. I thought I'd bring one or perhaps 2 growlers. The idea behind the second growler has nothing to do with quantity and everything to do with variety. We are under no obligation to drain the growlers and I take resposible drinking seriously. See ya tomorrow. [Wave]
Kayla
Member # 2403

There are tennis courts, they have nets and lights and are clear. Or so says my husband who drove by them this morning. [Smile]
Kayla
Member # 2403

punwit, excellent! Variety is good.

(sorry, didn't see that post before I posted.)

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
There are tennis courts, they have nets and lights and are clear
Ivygirl will be in seventh heaven, then! [Smile]
Kayla
Member # 2403

Okay, the dip is done, the potato salad is chilling, the eggs have been devil and the brownies. . . well, let's just say that if there are any left by the time you arrive, it'll be amazing. [Wink]

I haven't gotten directions from Caleb, but I've e-mailed him again.

So, are we still shooting for 3-5ish? (That's a big window.)

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You pick where in that window you want me to arrive, Kayla, and we'll be there. Our leave here time is flexible.

Farmgirl

Kayla
Member # 2403

The earlier you come, the earlier we can eat brownies. [Wink]
Kayla
Member # 2403

Caleb just e-mailed! He's bringing tabithecat with him, so he won't need a ride!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yay! Glad Caleb can make it.

Kayla - you sure know how to get ME to show up (chocolate!). Now it is just a matter of convincing my sons... (they aren't thrilled with the idea of going somewhere where there will be a bunch of people they don't know, and mostly we will be sitting around talking. But I think I can give them enough incentive....) [Smile]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, they'll have my 14 year-old to kick around. And they really can go off and play elsewhere. The pool will be open, the tennis courts, the football field. . . there are fireworks stands all over the place.

Do they like climbing trees? We could put them to work if we borrow a 20 foot ladder from my husband's work to get them started up the tree. I have some dead limbs that need trimming. [Wink]

Or, they could just climb to the top and drop a tape measure. I'd love to know how tall it is.

And there's always video games, and we have about a thousand movies. I can't imagine they'll be bored.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Do they like climbing trees? We could put them to work if we borrow a 20 foot ladder from my husband's work to get them started up the tree. I have some dead limbs that need trimming
Actually, Steven (my oldest) would love this. And you probably won't need the ladder. (He'll stand on top of his brother)

Yeah -- I know there are plenty of things to keep them from feeling like that have to talk to all the adults. They are really old enough to be self-entertaining. I just need to convince them of it.

So far -- they aren't putting up very much argument. I think it will all work out fine.

FG

Kayla
Member # 2403

Okay, tabithecat has to be back in KC around 6ish for a baseball game, though why anyone would want to go to a Royals game is beyond me. [Roll Eyes]

So, the earlier you get here, the more you can chat with Caleb and Tab.

punwit, Noemon, do you have a general time in mind for when you might be showing up? Caleb is thinking they'll be here around 1 or 2.

I'll be here all day. [Wink]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Oh, wait, Noemon is already on his way here, isn't he? Or is he leaving after work (5)?
punwit
Member # 6388

I'll shoot for about 1 or 2 and no later than 3.
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks much for the invite

but I'm working all weekend [Frown]

but if there's another get together some time
I'd be delighted to join

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

We'll make sure there is another one. How else could you become real?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

We'll have to come out there sometime, ShadowPuppet, for Dodge City days. We'll make punwit wear a cowboy hat and get duded up.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm just getting ready to leave now Kayla--just logged on to get your directions. You never did send me your phone number, did you? If you start wondering where I am, feel free to call me.

I'm hoping to get there on the earlier side of the 3-5 continuum, but we'll see.

How late do you guys think thing's will go?

Not that I'll get a chance to read this thread again before I get there, probably. Ha!

punwit
Member # 6388

I've got quite a funny story about something along those lines, Farmgirl. Remind me tomorrow to share it with ya.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Noemon, we'll go as late as possible.

I figure we should try to talk tabithecat out of leaving to go to the Royals game. She won the tickets at work and has never gone to a game, but it's the Royals, and we're Hatrackers. Barring that, I can just give Caleb a ride home later.

ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

what a coincedence

my job is at boothill getting people "duded up"
and then taking photos of them and printing them out all sepia style

...for a nominal fee of your arm and your leg

well you guys have fun on the eastern coast of kansas

watch out for sharks

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.