FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Writers of the Future finals

Author Topic: Writers of the Future finals
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in them. For the second time, but I have a much better feeling about this story than the last one.

Wish me luck... [Angst]

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
luck!!!!

[Big Grin] Congrats!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Even if you don't win, it's a huge accomplishment to be where you are right now! Twice too!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
You go guy! Er, gal! Er, say, what are you? [Confused]
Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
You go guy! Er, gal! Er, say, what are you?
Ha ha, guy.

Have you been doing any writing lately, Andrew? I recall that you won a Phobos award a few years ago.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
For a second there I freaked, because I hadn't heard anything about whether MY entry was in the finals yet so I must not have made it!

Then I remembered that the deadline for the quarter my story is entered in hasn't even come up yet, so you must be in the finals for the quarter before me. Which means I can wish you Good Luck safely! Good Luck!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
Has any hatracker been published in that anthology before?
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
ScottR is in the next one, I think, with his story Blackberry Witch...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to pick it up. I love those books, every once in awhile there's a story in them that really gets under my skin, it's different than other sci fi for some reason
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definitely buying the issue with Scott's story. I might even see if I can mail it to him to have him sign it for me. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lara:
I'll have to pick it up. I love those books, every once in awhile there's a story in them that really gets under my skin, it's different than other sci fi for some reason

Probably because the writers are all trying to prove that they have what it takes to create a solid, entertaining story rather than trying to prove that they are more creative or better than any other writer out there.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats. What is this contest all about, if you don't mind my asking?

[Cool]

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Info on the contest is here: http://www.writersofthefuture.com/ It's in a Javascript pop-up navigation which is a little annoying. It's 4 times a year, 3 winners per quarter with an annual grand prize winner as well.

Destineer can probably answer more about it than I can, as this is the first time I've entered, and he's been a finalist for it twice. I'm not even sure if the story I entered is the sort of genre they're looking for, as it's a tough one to classify.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
cool. Thanks for the reference.

Good luck on your submission.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Destineer can probably answer more about it than I can, as this is the first time I've entered, and he's been a finalist for it twice.
Well, Scott is apparently the WOTF expert around here...

Scott, I had no idea you won! Muchas congrats!

Scott R
Member # 567

Why, thank you!

Now you start the really long wait, Destineer.

Best of luck to you!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

So.... I took third!

My story "On the Mount" will finally see the light of day. [Big Grin]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!

[Party]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Congratulations, Destineer!
There's prize money for the top 3, isn't there? You're not just getting published you're getting paid for it.

Will you be autographing copies at the next con?

--Enigmatic

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [The Wave]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

That's fantastic, Destineer!

They got back to you really quickly. . . [Smile]

Now, though, you have to wait for a little more than a year for the workshop and awards ceremony. . .

More waiting! Huzzah!

Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Will you be autographing copies at the next con?
I've never been a big con-goer, but now may be the time to start. Anyway, as Scott says it'll be a year before the anthology comes out.

Scott, you'll have to give me the inside info on the awards and the workshop so I know what to expect!

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! I'm very proud. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.