FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You know what I've noticed about people from California? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: You know what I've noticed about people from California?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
They don't say the name of their state when reading off their address. Here's what I mean:

*ring ring*

Me: "Thank you for calling Client Services. My name is Glynn. How can I help you?"

They: "Oh yeah sure. Uh, I'd like to know my balance on my four-oh-one-okay, please."

M: "Certainly. Can I have your social security number please?"

T: "Uh, yeah. *insert social here*"

M: "May I have you state your name?"

T: "Joe E. Smith S-M-I-T-H"

M: *eye roll @ spelling "Smith"* "And your date of birth?"

T: "January twenty-third, nine-teen-oh I'm friggin old."

M: "And your complete address, please?"

T: "1234 Living below a damn in an earthquake zone St."

*pause*

M: *rolls eyes* "And the city, state and zip, please?" (I have to say this more often than you'd believe)

T: "Yeah, San Iveneverheardofyourtownbefore 99023"

They skip saying California. I get calls from all 50 states (and Guam) and I never have anyone skip over the name of their state except people from California. Heck, even people from Honolulu say "Hawaii."

It's almost as though I am expected to know that they hail from California. I mean, I know that they do because I can see it on the screen- I'm just verifying information. Still, it seems fairly geo-centric that I am expected to know where you are from.

Hell, even the Latin-American immigrants who don't speak a lick of English at least say what state they are from. Silly people.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the one I really hate is "I'm from the bay area."

Boston bay?

Chesapeake?

Why are we supposed to know which bay they're talking about? Then they get really incensed when you ask them.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I never add "Texas" to the end of it when I tell people I'm from Dallas. Come on, man - there's only one Dallas that matters.

Same for Detroit. "Where did you serve?" "Detroit."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Primal Curve: It's almost worse when they tell you they say they're from "Cali." [Angst]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the Bay area and yes, there's only one =P

If a zipcode starts with 90 - 96 it's in California. If they give you that much, you should just know, ya know?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
what about saying your from the North bay area ;O)

I guess im diffrent from everyone in California cause when im asked where im from I usualy say california. [Big Grin]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the South Bay. Which confuses Angelenos because they're silly people.

(edit: corrected a spelling because I was mocked mercilessly. hoqued ohn fanix werkt fer mi!)

[ June 28, 2005, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Saying "Cali" is worse.

<insert cringe here>

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I actualy live North of the north bay in sonoma county.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
How about some people from California? I won't include California when I'm telling my address to someone local -- they generally know where Camarillo is -- but I certainly include it when talking on the phone.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I'm from the Bay area and yes, there's only one =P

Ah. So are you from Delaware, Maryland, or Virginia?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Folk from California are ... different. But you knew that, didn't you?

I'm from New Jersey, which we sometimes call "New Jersey", and sometimes call "Jersey", and I've even heard "Nueva Jersey (pronounced 'Yersay')", but never "EN JAY".

We don't like being asked what exit we're from, mostly because we really do know the answer, and hate that we do.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
On many answer-center systems, typing in the ZIP returns the city and state, although most ZIPs have more than one city in them. I've often been asked for the ZIP first, and then asked to specify the city.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Tante: What exit are you from?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
(sigh) 9.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<---went to high school in Hollister.

There's only one "Bay Area"! *humph*

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
There seriously is only one Bay Area... and I'm glad to see it so well represented on this board. [Smile]

There may be other bays in the United States (or so people tell me... [Wink] ), but is there another area that calls itself "the Bay Area?"

What bugs me is when I say I'm from the Silicon Valley, and people ask "Where?" I'm not trying to be egocentric (or geocentric, I guess), but unless you had your head in a hole in the ground during the late 90's, how did you NOT hear of the Silicon Valley?

I've had to settle for saying "an hour south of San Francisco." [Grumble]

Does anyone else from highly-congested areas give distances in time? I always do that and never noticed it until I lived in Germany and the family I was with made fun of me for it.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

In New Jersey, we always give distances in time rather than miles.

Question: How far is that from here?
Answer: Oh, at rush hour, it is a good 45 minutes, but otherwise you can make it in under 30.

This is definitely more useful than knowing how many miles away it is.

Have you noticed that when men give directions, they mention distance and direction ("Head East for three and a half miles...") while women mention landmarks (You turn left at the park, then keep going until you see the elementary school with the tire swings in the playground. There is an antique store on the opposite corner)?

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
In time, and based on traffic conditions. *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with "cali" .. you would say it too if Your state name was friggin long
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

I'll type it, because my fingers are lazy. I always say "California," though... I think it's a rather pretty name.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
  1. Oooh, lots of broad generalizations about my state! Yippee! [The Wave]
  2. If asked my address, I state street address, city, state, and zip. Even though I am not aware of many other cities called Los Angeles.
  3. Anyone who says "Cali" should be taken out and shot.
  4. Anyone who cannot spell "Angelenos" should be drawn and quartered.
  5. Anyone who lives in the so-called Garden State, home of more factories per capita than any other state, has a lot of nerve dissing California.
  6. There are many bays. Each has an adjacent area.
  7. Not only do I give distances in units of time, I often do not know the actual distance involved without looking it up. Thus, I work 15-20 minutes away from where I live (and it's somewhere in the general neighborhood of 4 miles away, I think).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think EVERYONE should say the name of that state like your governator does.

Cause that would definitely make me laugh.

Meanwhile, I DO say I'm from Atlanta (not tons of those around), but in a situation like PC described, where I'm saying my whole address, I definitely include the state name.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Anyone who lives in the so-called Garden State, home of more factories per capita than any other state, has a lot of nerve dissing California.

The word is "chutzpah", honey.

And it is the Garden State because we grow the world's best-tasting tomatoes in our gardens.

(Mmmm...Jersey tomatoes. Can't wait unti mine are ripe)

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

As one who used to live in Atlanta, it is "Atlanta", please, NOT "Hotlanta". 'Cause that's just dumb.
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, it's noive. [Wink]

And I do have fond memories of home-grown Jersey tomatoes. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Since this thread is probably attracting anyone with an interest in California:

How many people think that California should be broken up into two states? I would choose not to, simply because it would decrease our economic and political power as a state (and more to the point, who would get Monterey?), but I've heard a number of people suggest it (half in jest, I think).

SoCal and NorCal are two very different places, with different outlooks... (For instance, people in NorCal do not need to know how to spell "Angelenos," Rivka. [Wink] )

rivka
Member # 4859

If the state gets split in two, where will we get our water from?

And every educated person should know how to spell "Angelenos." [Razz]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:

How many people think that California should be broken up into two states?

Um... are we voting to see if we are in favor of big earthquakes?
Jhai
Member # 5633

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. We could just all go hang out with Hawaii. Alaska can come too. [Smile]

Rivka: You all could buy your water from us, instead of just taking it. [No No]

rivka
Member # 4859

We DO!

Or, more accurately, we did.

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On many answer-center systems, typing in the ZIP returns the city and state, although most ZIPs have more than one city in them. I've often been asked for the ZIP first, and then asked to specify the city.
Speaking of this, what really annoys me is when they use such a system, incorrectly tell me I live in Kissimmee, and their system won't accept a correction. This happens with HP, for one.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it's worth pointing out that while California and New Jersey have this bizarre and completely pointless rivalry going on, all the GOOD states are in the middle. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh Tom, do you mean all that other stuff besides the sea to shining sea bit? Purple mountains, amber waves, spacious skies, fruited plains, roaming buffalo, deer playing with antelopes, little houses, prairies, and all that?

I've seen it. It was big. A lot of it was flat. Except for the bumpy parts. I remember that there was a whole lot of corn. Or soybeans. Or something.

The middle part. I think that's where we keep the Republicans.

But the Blue States is where it is happening, baby!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in a Blue State in the middle. Best of both worlds, really.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And I'm sure that you look lovely in blue.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I'm from New Jersey, which we sometimes call "New Jersey", and sometimes call "Jersey", and I've even heard "Nueva Jersey (pronounced 'Yersay')", but never "EN JAY".

We don't like being asked what exit we're from, mostly because we really do know the answer, and hate that we do.

Hey hey, not all people in NJ live off of an exit. The closest four lane highway to me is in New York state.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I live in a Blue State in the middle. Best of both worlds, really.
Hey, me too. And on top of that, I'm on a college campus. Not sure how much more of a blue area you can get.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty much the best place to live just so ya' know,so we take a few liberties with how we talk about it...not really a big deal [Smile]
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*adds "flat = good" to the list of Tom-isms she comprehendeth not*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Neither Jersey girls nor California girls are particularly known for being flat.
rivka
Member # 4859

*eyes 10-foot pole*

Naaaaahhhh.

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I live on the island. The island. If you don't know what island that refers to, you obviously haven't lived in or near New York.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey hey, not all people in NJ live off of an exit. The closest four lane highway to me is in New York state. [/QB]
In this case, you fall back to the second answer..."Which mall do you live by/shop at?"
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zamphyr:
quote:
Hey hey, not all people in NJ live off of an exit. The closest four lane highway to me is in New York state.

In this case, you fall back to the second answer..."Which mall do you live by/shop at?" [/QB]
Hah! The closest one of those is also over half an hour away!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*adds "flat = good" to the list of Tom-isms she comprehendeth not*
Agrees with rivka, even though I live in a flat state now.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Southern California for the first 30 years of my life. I now live in Chicagoland! I had the California attitude that it was the best place in the Union and assumed that the whole world wanted to live there. I believed that every place else in the US (except NYC) was a hick town and full of wannabes.

I now know better. I'll never move back to So. Cal.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hey, I never said that flat=good. I said that the Midwest had the best states in the Union. That they're so good despite being mostly flat is a testament to how much most of the other states suck.
Jhai
Member # 5633

That's because it's SoCal - I've never met anyone from NorCal (specifically the Bay Area) who didn't want to go back. Despite the traffic.

Chicago is so....cold. And the trees don't have leaves for MONTHS after the snow is gone.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I'm so used to clarifying where I live that I probably give way more information than you need.

I generally don't even tell people the name of my town because it's not going to do them any good.

"I live in Western Montana, about 30 miles south of Missoula"

"Oh. Is that near Helena?"

"Is Helena the only town in Montana you've ever heard of?"

"Well, yeah."

"OK. If the outline of Montana is the profile of an old man, I live in the nose."

"Oh! Ok."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.