FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You know what I've noticed about people from California? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: You know what I've noticed about people from California?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
That's because it's SoCal - I've never met anyone from NorCal (specifically the Bay Area) who didn't want to go back. Despite the traffic.

[Razz] And I know several former NorCalers who would never move back.

Of course, that's because they moved to SoCal. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai: What's worse is when they don't know where San Jose is. Or that San Jose is in Silicon Valley. We're just the 11th largest city in the country. People know where little towns like Atlanta and Minneapolis are. Yet you tell them you're in a town of 900,000 people and you have to say "we're near SF." (a town they know even by it's initials.)

http://www.city-data.com/top1.html

Civic Pride Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people don't know the way to San Jose.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Or they think that 101 is the way to San Jose. People, people: 280 is faster AND prettier - it's only one more exit/junction from SFO.

Edited to say: I've given up saying San Jose - no one ever knows where it is out here in the Midwest. And only Apple-crazed people have even HEARD of Cupertino. [Grumble]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most people don't know the way to San Jose.
Ahem
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the way. I'm going back sometime, to find some peace of mind.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
280 is especially beautiful when the coastside fog is spilling over the Santa Cruz mountains. It almost looks like water over a dam.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
*eyes 10-foot pole*

Stretch Jankowski? The famous Polish basketball player? [Taunt]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to figure out how the outline of Montana looks like an old man's profile.

Edit: Oh, never mind! I see it.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm originally from California. It's a nice place to visit.

But I've been away so long I may go wrong and lose my way to San Jose.

Well, I'm from Westminster. I'm not sure I ever went to San Jose. I've been to San Francisco though. I think I could find my way back there. And Modesto.

Say, while we're at it, who has a reaction for "Frisco?"

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Every woman and many of the men on Hatrack.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie I have to use that way of explaining too, even though I'm from NJ. It's weird, sometimes the people in NJ don't even know the county I'm from. I have to say you know how NJ has a point (like so /\), well I live at the tip.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
SoCal and NorCal are two very different places, with different outlooks... (For instance, people in NorCal do not need to know how to spell "Angelenos," Rivka. [Wink] )

Actually, there are three "states" of California that are very different, not just two, and I think the difference is more a state of mind than a state of geography. There is Southern California, which I like to think of as civilization [Big Grin] ; there's Northern California, which has its good and its bad places; and then there is The Valley - and I don't mean San Fernando Valley.

Having lived here in what we learned in fourth grade to call "The Great Central Valley", I can assure you that it isn't like either southern California or northern California outside of the valley. Sure, Bakersfield orients more toward L.A. because of its proximity, and Fresno and points north orient more toward San Francisco because the drive is a little shorter than to L.A., but people are just different here. It's much more like the midwest than anywhere else. In fact, driving into many of the small towns around the valley, you would swear that you've suddenly been transported to one of those "in the middle" states.

Having said that, would I like to see California split in two? Three? No, mostly because Fresno would probably end up being included in the the northern state, and I'm a southern California native.

And on yet another subject, calling the San Francisco area "the Bay Area" doesn't really bother me all that much, but it absolutely drives me up a wall when people refer to San Francisco as "The City", as if it is the only one that ever existed, does exist, or will exist. The only thing I will admit to really liking about San Francisco is the Golden Gate Bridge, which is a magnificent structure, although I like the East Bay a lot, especially Berkeley and all its used bookstores.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
As one who used to live in Atlanta, it is "Atlanta", please, NOT "Hotlanta". 'Cause that's just dumb.

Thanks to Usher, it's "A-Town" now [Smile]
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I never say "Michigan".
As Kat says, there's only one Detroit!
[Cool]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
And how many people specify which state "New York" is in?

I don't even have a problem with people who say they're from "LA," but the "bay area" just drives me nuts.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that saying I'm from the Bay Area is fine when I'm talking to other California natives.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Ok, people don't know where Silicon Valley is. People don't know where San Jose is (I've actually had people ask me how it was in Costa Rica) and apparently we're not allowed to say "Bay Area".

And there's no way in HELL I'm going to say I'm from San Francisco.

so I'm out of options.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

You're allowed to say "Bay Area." Just don't expect people to know what you're talking about.

Unless they're from California. I can see that point. Maybe Nevada and Oregon too, but don't expect someone from the east to understand.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

But I've gotta wonder, what's wrong with saying you're from San Francisco?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Now we're the 10th largest city in the nation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050630/ts_usatoday/outmigrationcoolstalkofinnercityresurgences
quote:

There was only one change among the USA's 10 most populous cities, with San Jose replacing Detroit at No. 10.

You must Learn where we are! =) (I realize a lot of you already know.)
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?csz=San+Jose%2C+CA&state=CA&uzip=95112&ds=n&name=&desc=&lat=37.340382&lon=-121.892181&mlt=37.340382&mln=-121.892181&zoomin=yes&BFKey=&resize=l&trf =0&mag=6

And I won't say I'm from SF because I don't like that place. They're a smaller town than SJ yet they insist on living directly on top of one another and there's never any place to park and the place is so one sided ideologically that Bush came in third in 2000. (Even Arkansas, which I left in large part for being too conservative, isn't that lopsided.) Plus the cultural aspects of the city bother me. The saying "If I can do it, it ain't art." applies to that town in spades.

Pix

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! http://tinyurl.com please!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I do miss the mountains.

Folks from here in Chicago say "The City," so do folks from NYC. I guess the folks in SF are just doing what people do when referring to the biggest and oldest city around. LA can't be "The City" becasue there isn't one really. Its all spread out with a crappy downtown area.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Pix, people usually understand what I'm talking about when I say I was born in the Bay Area, or Silicon Valley. Then again, I live in Oregon, so perhaps that's why people know that Bay Area = San Francisco Bay Area. I sometimes say that it's about an hour away from San Francisco, too. We rarely went there though, except to go to the airport.

Oh, and I've rarely ever heard people give distances in miles. Maybe it's a West Coast thing, but I thought that everyone gave distances in time. I don't even know how far it is to the cities around here, but I can tell you how long it will take to get there.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
South Cali, North Cali: it's all the same to me. I've lived in the armpit of Cali (Bakersfield) since birth and I'm fed up with this state.

The econ here is shot, the housing market is INSANE, gas prices are the worst in the nation, the illegals are taking their country back, and Arnie's up a creek without a boat or floaties. I'm outta here.

The house here is sold (CHA-CHING!) and a new one closes in five weeks in my new home: Portland, Oregon.

Cali has gone to hell and I'm tired of living in it.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem was that you lived in Bakersfield...

[Wink]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.