FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Ketchups are moving to SoCal! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Ketchups are moving to SoCal!
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
As it turns out, it will be less painful than I had originally thought...

The company has agreed to cut me a check for moving expenses. [Smile]

They will at least pay most (if not all) of the cost and get a tax write-off later!

w00t!

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] That's very nice of them.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so excited! I just went through a ton of baby clothes finding ones I can part with for a garage sale (and cutting out a whole box worth of clothes from the move) and pricing them. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Me leaving Cali, KQ moving in.

Health care is EXPENSIVE here (not to mention everything else [Wink] ). I'm moving to Portland, Oregon, and to cover my family up there will be 1/3 of what it is here (not to mention everything else [Wink] ).

I am a health care provider and my employers here in So Cal can barely keep their business in the black. Their annual disability insurance premium last year went from $50K to $500K!!

The air quality here is awful. I live in the valley which gets the lion's share of the pollution, but the LA basin ain't no picnic either. Hope you like the color brown: Brown skies, brown trees, brown everything... [Big Grin]

All I can say is I hope you're making a boat-load of cash, 'cause that's the only way living the California lifestyle pays off IMHO.

Good luck either way. At least with me leaving and you coming in we are keeping the force in balance. [Big Grin]

Hope your move goes smooth.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Monkey, California is expensive. The folks there don't realize it for some reason, or they figure the weather makes it worth the expense. When I think that we used to have to budget to pay our license and registration for our cars each year...yikes. I remember paying over $400 bucks just for tags on my minivan! And insurance? fuggetabutit! I know Chicago is not el cheapo-land, but it is better than So. Cal.

I'm not really all doom and gloom, KC. Just hadn't thought about living there in quite a while.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My whole family lives in CA. I love it there. Jeff will have full coverage at work, and our insurance will come directly out of his take-home pay (and it's not too much.) Plus I don't have to go to the doctor for little things; my dad's a doctor and my mom's a nurse.

I grew up with LA smog, but my biggest problem is going to be my allergies. They are much better since moving to a completely different ecosystem, but I'm sure they'll blow right up again once I'm out there. Oh, well, that's what Allavert's for...

And we don't intend to "live the California lifestyle"; we intend to live modestly and frugally in a way that allows us to pay off our debt and save money, which will eventually be possible there, and would not here. Cost of living is something like 4.6% higher in the community we're moving to compared to the one we're in now, but employers out here tend to pay 6.7% less here than there, so we'll be doing better out there!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Did your research, eh?

Well, congrats on the move. Now I just wait on mine to happen.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool KQ. Hope it's a good move for you.

Sometimes we need a change. Looks like you and I decided this is the time. [Wink]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Next Shinda at KQ's house. We'll call it a housewarming.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I already said that, Papa Moose...

We'll have one as soon as we're unpacked. [Big Grin]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but it doesn't count until a California resident says it.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, Jeff says I can't have one until I'm unpacked. [Frown]

So I guess that's my motivation to unpack. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.