FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Googlethon 2005 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Googlethon 2005
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Crow's wife.

Guys, I really did not think this would be that hard. Without revealing the answer, here is what I was thinking:

Google is an amazing tool, and ... eh, no. That might reveal the answer. I've found like 6 different ways to get to this with google using information found only in the question I asked. You can do it!

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I'm going to bed.

G'night. [Sleep]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to hatrack, crows wife.

I've been at it long enough, I give.

Good question, TL

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, I found a story someone's been writing where he talks about a 'fight in the ditch' from July 20th 2004...

But, I doubt that's it.

Here's the link...

http://leagueoflevity.us/bb/viewtopic.php?p=985&sid=7312bd67abecc515435021d04de2f817

I'll change this if I find something else, if I happen to be right, I so call claims on the next one. Found a question that has a path you can follow, but it takes some thinking to get. ^_^ (Tried it myself.)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Followed the link. Interesting, but not the answer I was looking for. Should I give hints or something? Not sure how to proceed ...
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
The Union won. As it does every year the assault on Fort Saunders is reenacted.

(I can't actually find a reenactment on that date, and the real assault was on November 29th, BUT ... it was called the "Fight in the Ditch", so it was worth a try ...)

These are the links I DID find:

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/fulllist.htm

http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/tn025.htm

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

Otherwise, all I'm getting is a million links to the text of The Octopus by Frank Norris [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

Hmm ... the Democratic National Convention was going on that day ...
TL
Member # 8124

Okay, here's the answer ...

http://songfight.org/songpage.php?key=in_the_ditch

The Hell Yeahs won the fight 'in the ditch'.

(Found with the following google search: "fight in the ditch 07/30/04")

Song Fight!

Puppy
Member # 6721

I kept spelling out the word "July" [Smile] I never write the date out in numbers ...
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your search - "fight in the ditch 07/30/04" - did not match any documents.
Now why would that work for you and not for me?

Do we have different googles?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ne, Tante. You're on the limited internet. TL has the extended edition.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Frown] [Dont Know]
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, the Patriot Act restricts what pages are visible for most people in the States unless you get the workaround.

That does make this competition a bit unfair.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

The "fight in the ditch" was censored from my google search? Huh?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Try using +'s in between words instead of "'s, Tante.

So fight+in+the+ditch+07/30/04 works.

And sean, I personally don't believe the government is using the Patriot Act to deny the american public access to them through google. However, I do keep my mind open enough that I would be interested to read more about this. Or is the government restricting those web pages from being accessed? [Wink]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
T's suggestion brings it (or rather, its parent page) up as the first hit.

Weird. But I'd suspect this was a Google peculiarity rather than a US government issue. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Thanks, T. I appreciate the lesson.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

[Wink]

Yeah yeah yeah. Sorry, I just have the habit of explaining things that need no explanation. Drives my wife crazy. [Wink]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The rolled eyes were not at you, Nathan. They were for Sean.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Now what? Does TL post a new one?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

The wink was not for you, Rivka. They were for TL.

[Wink] <-- Wink for rivka.

rivka
Member # 4859

Er. Ok . . . [Confused]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Er... sorry, I meant Tante.
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh. But T, I think she was serious. (I know I had forgotten the +s trick.)

Anyway, who's up next?

Puppy
Member # 6721

Three years ago, the Cusack pair were found at the airport. Where are they living now?
Puppy
Member # 6721

(To keep it as weird and obscure as the previous one ... [Smile] We may end up with a lot of random matches this time, too.)
Vadon
Member # 4561

Indeed, this one is random.

Is it these monkeys that were smuggled in a guy's pants in 2002?

They are living in the Los Angeles Zoo.

http://dailyhaggis.com/index.php/2002/12/19/

I searched +cusack+pair airport, it was about the seventh down.

Edit for a link and the path I took.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

Provide a link, and it's your turn [Smile]
Vadon
Member # 4561

Alright, I'll give hints if this goes for a while, though I kind of doubt it will.

What mental condition does Alicia Lopez-Harrison de Lardé's son have?

rivka
Member # 4859

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/j/jo/john_charles_martin_nash.htm

Paranoid schizophrenia, just like Dad.

(John Nash, as in A Beautiful Mind)

rivka
Member # 4859

Someone else had best post the next search -- I have to head off to work.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Arrgh! I always spell out the date too! Not any more.
quote:
After finding the other purloined birds and exotic flowers, the inspectors asked: “Do you have anything else you should tell us about?”

According to Truong, Cusack answered: “Yes, I’ve got monkeys in my pants.”

[ROFL]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Rivka gets it, but someone now has to post a question. ^_^
Morbo
Member # 5309

I'll be back to play in 1 hour.
TL
Member # 8124

Tante, I didn't put quotation marks around my search in Google. Just here on hatrack so you would know the exact search I used. Should have mentioned that. If you searched "fight in the ditch 07/30/04" without the quotation marks it would be the #1 result.

The Hell Yeahs are good.

Somebody post another question, I like this game.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
[Wink]

Yeah yeah yeah. Sorry, I just have the habit of explaining things that need no explanation. Drives my wife crazy. [Wink]

No, T, I was serious, not sarcastic. Grateful for your instruction, not derisive.

I thunk I was a top-notch googler. I thunk wrong.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Can I try challenging?

HOW CAN YOU COMPLETE YOUR JOURNEY TO ENLIGHTENMENT?

Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Discover how your ego is the culprit blocking you from experiencing your higher nature...and learn how to lessen its influence on your life.
Strengthen your belief that there is always a spiritual solution to your problems...and learn how to find those anwers by turning inward for divine guidance.
Eliminate the word "impossible"from your vocabulary...eliminate doubts...and make miracles happen in your life.
Master the five simple but vital keys to higher awareness...keys that open the door to where you are now and show you the spiritual world that awaits you.
Raise your individual consciousness...and, in turn, help transform the world through greater love and compassion.
Hear daily affirmations that will provide the inspiration you need to stay on the spiritual journey...and develop the commitment that will help you overcome the negativity and hurdles others may put in your way.

http://www.achievement.com/yourjourney.htm
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Um .. I don't think so. [Evil]
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat this game?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Very good!
But not what I had in mind. [Taunt]

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
By taking the Skyrail to the Ngong Ping theme park?
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Nice. But (hint, hint) that is *a* journey to enlightenment, not *your* journey to enlightenment. [Evil]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.

By listening to Dr. Wayne W. Dyer's audio seminar?

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

Your turn, Wife.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

While walking in the desert, I found a red and yellow beetle with a black cross on its back. What is it?

*Note: I do know the answer to this.*

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Is it the Iron Cross Blister Beetle?
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Yep.

I actually did find one, and was unable to figure it out with my google searches (I didn't use the word "cross"). I actually found it when I was searching for something else later.

Boy, it's hard to come up with a question that is answerable yet not too easy.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

True. I googled: beetle "field guide" desert.

Clicked on the first link listed, clicked on the picture for "Iron Cross Blister Beetle" and there is was. Took about 45 seconds (computer at work is slow to download, so it held me up a little)

OK. I'm done bragging for now.

Thinking up good questions is hard. My earlier one was just a bit too bratty, no?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.