FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have finally seen fireflies!

Author Topic: I have finally seen fireflies!
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
..And they are so awesome!!

..got to see them in Ohio last month. They are so cool! I have been so deprived! I even got to hold one and just look at it for a while. They are like beetles with a lightbulb in their bums. [Big Grin]

By the way Cedar Point is awesome especially if you go to the waterpark too.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one in my bedroom last night.
Not so cool in the bedroom.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
When my sister and I were little, we would catch them and put them in an empty mayonaise jar. Once, when my mom told my sister to let them out, she opened the jar in her room and her ceiling twinkled all night...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Which one?

This one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HAWP/qid=1120665805/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/102-0804233-8859351?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Or This one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AQS0F/qid=1120665833/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/102-0804233-8859351?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously Pix, you're kidding. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously =)

We had fireflies where I grew up. I loved them. A creature that could make it's own light. It's still amazing when I think about it.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
I was in PA over the weekend. I always forget how dark it is in the country. And then the windsheild started to glow in one tiny spot... [Frown]
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got to see them for the first time, a few years back, when I was in Manitoba...it was weird and random to suddenly see spots of light going off and on all over the place
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
With the Dark Side you can make the Fireflies do your bidding
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them for the first time last summer, when I was at camp. It was lovely.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Fireflies are very common here in New Jersey, and where I grew up in New York. I always took them for granted as an expected part of summer -- like humidity or ice cream.

I didn't realize that they are not ubiquitous everywhere.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
It's real fun when one goes splat on the windshield.....
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Permit me a moment to speak like an old man

I remember in Virginia the dark countryside of summer when the fields and hedgrows would be filled with the miniature flashes of light.

There were so many of the lightning bugs, which is what we called them, that there seemed to be stars on the face of the earth.

A scooping hand from a child would capture two or three at a pass. They were a part of a child's summer as much as stars in the night sky.

Now, like the whip-poor-will, they are so diminished.

But I am happy you got to see them, even if just a few.

spelling error edit

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I still have never seen one in real life... oh well. ^_^
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Vadon,

I hope you do.
The simple flash of light is a part of childhood, like the crayfish in a creek or the sound of cicada's in the summer evening.
Simple things.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandEyeProtege
Member # 7565

- posted      Profile for HandEyeProtege           Edit/Delete Post 
Fireflies are one of the summer things I miss from the midwest. It wasn't until this Fourth of July that I realized that Seattle doesn't have them. My childhood Fourth of July memories all include chasing fireflies (or lightning bugs, as it were) until it got dark enough for the fireworks to start.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I love fireflies. Their photoemitting mechanisms are a fascinating study.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I really must have had a deprived childhood. Didn't have crayfish in creeks, and I wasn't even sure what a cicada was... found a website and listened to their sound... rather annoying.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have no idea what a cicada or a crayfish are, either.

My first firefly experience was a week after I moved to Sri Lanka, and one was in our bedroom, mostly hanging on to our mosquito net. It blinked for hours. The second was a couple of weeks ago, and it was stuck in our living room. It's so cool!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
"In case you were wondering, no, your butt hasn't lit up."
"I don't even know which muscles to clench!"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

[Confused]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking! [ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We saw fireflies when we went up to Atoka. Boon and KPC were amazed that I had never seen them before. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't have fireflies where I grew up (Utah), but did you know that if you douse a scorpion in alcohol and light it on fire, its tail glows purple?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
UofUlawguy you are evil man, [Evil Laugh]
Fireflies are beautiful and I miss seeing them. I grew up having them around for most of the summer. Glad you were able to see one.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.