FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are you doing for Harry Potter Eve? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are you doing for Harry Potter Eve?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/07/05/harry.potter.ap/index.html

I think I'll go the Barnes and Noble about five minutes from my house. They have hot chocolate and lots of things planned. There's a conference that weekend, so I'm torn, but I can always attend the conference on Saturday night and Sunday, after I've finished the book.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching Battlestar Galactica! I don't have time for any of that wizardry silliness, I need to know what's going to happen to Adama.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be trying not to think about the fact that I don't know when I'll get to read it. [Frown]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been listening to the Jim Dale CDs and have it timed so that we can put in the first CD of Half-blood Prince just as we finish the last CD of Order of the Phoenix.

Jim Dale is awesome!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw's friend Sarah has a bookstore in Story City, IA. I will be there, dressed as Sirius Black.

--Enigmatic

Edit to add: Jim Dale is awesome. I've listened to the audiobooks for all of HP, because I used to have a horribly long commute.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Not much.

I'll borrow the book from my brother when he's done with it.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Re-reading HP:OOTP most likely. Hopefully HP:HBP won't have quite so much angsty-angry-Harry in it (not to say I wouldn't be angsty-angry too if I was Harry)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go to Barnes and Noble to pick it up at midnight ( pre-ordered long ago). I'm supposed to hike Mt. St. Helen's the next day, so Brian will probably stay home and read it.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord. HP vs. Mt. St. Helen's. That's a toughie.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Watching Battlestar Galactica! I don't have time for any of that wizardry silliness, I need to know what's going to happen to Adama.
Same here. Just watched Season 1-- all of it-- yesterday on SciFi. I'm ready...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
"angsty-angry-Harry"

Wow Pix! You described him perfectly! [Smile]
Of course I also like "self-pity Harry" too. But don't get me wrong, I still love the books and movies!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
When's the book comming out?
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Midnight July 16th.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I should be somewhere in the process of moving my kids to South Carolina and probably musing on the many things that have changed since the last time I was at a Harry Potter release.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skillery:
We've been listening to the Jim Dale CDs and have it timed so that we can put in the first CD of Half-blood Prince just as we finish the last CD of Order of the Phoenix.

Jim Dale is awesome!

I didn't think the CDs came out until months after the books. I could be wrong, though.

As for me, I've been making my way through the first five (I just finished the second one). I think my parents are going to send me out to Borders in the wee hours of the morning to pick up our copies.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'll be in line at my local discount bookstore waiting in queue along with my fellow addicts. Many of which I may have met in line the last midnight release. I will also be waiting for my British version copies from Amazon UK to be delivered.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The Braille version is coming out just a few weeks after the book, too. They have been working around the clock to get it out earlier than the standard nine months later.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going with my friend to the Barnes and Noble release at midnight. =D And then read alllll through the night and go to a Cake, et al concert the next day.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a book store, so I'll be working until late in the morning.

Say no to Barnes and Noble and yes! to Borders!

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of my friends and I are going to Borders in costume and then heading to my place where we'll spend the night reading it together.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We're having a yard sale that weekend.

Hopefully we'll make enough that I can buy the book.

I should stop by and reserve a copy today.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be working late friday night. I ordered my copy from amazon, so I'll get it in the mail sometime on sat.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working at the bookstore the following morning, so I'll have to make an early night of it. But I'll probably go pick up my copy at midnight anyway.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, what made you choose borders over B & N? Cause I'm debating which one to go to...
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't go to a midnight party because of the lack of a car. And I can't order it from Amazon.com because I go to therapy on Saturday mornings and might not be home when they attempt to deliver it (they won't leave it because I live in a condo :rolleyes").

I'm going to Borders tonight to buy some manga (Fruits Basket #10, yay!), so I'm going to pre-order it then. Yes, I will be making a special trip downtown on the morning of the 16th just to pick up the book. *grin* Ooo, maybe I'll see a movie or something downtown Friday night and crash at the hostel, so I don't have to spend two hours on public transportion Saturday morning just to pick up a book.

I went to Oak Park's Diagon Alley celebration for OOTP. It was a MADHOUSE. I won't be going to that again. I will, however, be doing my read and post again.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Borders, but there isn't one here in town! My nieces and I are going to the midnight shindig at Barnes and Noble. I haven't decided if I will dress yet or not. I think they're planning to go in costume.

It's pretty clear to me from the timing who must be responsible for the attacks on London, you know?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

*gasp*

He who must not be named!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that for a brief, insane moment too. :/
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in Chicago with my son. We'll go to the Barnes and Noble at the U.of C., buy TWO copies (don't tell my husband),and stay up all night, reading and drinking coffee. Heaven!
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's pretty clear to me from the timing who must be responsible for the attacks on London, you know?
There's a fanfic where he does exactly that. (well, not in relation to a book being released, but yeah, he blows up a tube station). End of this chapter, continuing on into this one.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be wearing my Gryffindor robes ( [Big Grin] ) and playing around Pearl Street Mall in Boulder. The Boulder Bookstore is having a fun party, but by midnight we'll end up at Barnes and Noble where we've preordered our copies. (I'd love to support a local bookstore over Barnes and Noble, but I am too poor to pass up 40% off the cover price. [Frown] ) Then, I will read all night in hopes that I can finish it before my 2:00pm shift at work on Saturday.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll be at the same books store Enigmatic will be at, an idependant bookstore run by our friends Sarah and Sara. I'll be Professor McGonagel and Bob will be Hagrid. I think I get to run the sorting hat. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WheatPuppet:

Lo stesso (Italian for "the same"). I also don't have a car, so going Saturday during the day works very well for me - I'll still be done with the book before a lot of my friends, and I'll get to see SciFi Friday in its entirety.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna go to sleep early and either pick up a copy at 7 am to get at Sam's Club. That's what I did last time--they had to cut open the pallate for me. [Big Grin]

I've just finished reading the whole series again. Somehow, I like OotP a lot better than I did the first time. Maybe because right now I'm dealing with an angst-ridden 15-year old brother and it seems more true to life... And GoF, which was my 2nd favorite in the series, dropped two places in this reading--somehow it got slow and ponderous since 2000 (go figure--I remember reading it for the first time with baited breath). My revised order: PoA beat OotP by its narrowest margin yet (PoA has always been my favorite), followed by SS, GoF, and CoS.

Also, I'm coming up with a personal list of how to get the most out of my first reading of HBP. So far I have:

--don't worry about food (like I ever have on HP Day)
--remember to take a good look at the Mary Grand Pre' cover art (because it's cool and is chock full of visual details that come to play in the book)
--try to identify the Dark Arts teacher before they are formally introduced as such (this has *always* happened in the past books)
--take a guess as to who of the known 5th years will be prefects (there's Ginny, Colin, and Luna to pick from)
--keep an eye out for Mark Evans.

More will come to me the closer I get.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to Borders then to Blacwolve's house, the next morning I have a cat show, so the leader will be very mad at me that I stayed up all night reading. (she's anti literature anyway)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Sarah, why did you guys pick Borders? I'm just curious...I'm not sure whether to go there or to Barnes and Noble across the street.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't go to a midnight party. But I will be waiting with ANTICIPATION to get it from Amazon.com on Saturday.
Last time I got it right in the morning and got to spend the whole day happily reading.
I'm going to have left-over chinese food, milkshake, kick ass reading music, and Earl Grey Tea.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 copies on order at Barnes and Noble (one for me, my mom, and my little brother). But now Books-A-Million is offering an express pass for people who want to get-in-get-out-and-read. And BAM also has the DELUXE COLLECTOR'S EDITION on sale for like $42 instead of $60. So now I'm torn. I REALLY want the special edition but all my other copies are hardcover and I don't want to screw up my collection.

I'll be watching a Queer As Folk marathon with my college roommate who is visiting for the week and will be going with me at midnight to pick up our copies.

I call angry-Harry....all-caps-Harry. One of my brothers had turned 15 the month that OoTP came out and it was bizarre how well she had captured the angst of being 15. Teen boys are so angry. ha.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably going to be grumbling about how I don't have money to buy it anyway, and even if I did, I wouldn't because it's been so long since I last read the first 5 that I would have to re-read all of them just to know what was going on. I recall vaguely that Sirius died in the last one. Also there was this repulsive woman that I envisioned as a carnivorous frog. And Harry was really annoying. That's about it.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
When the last one came out, money was tight enough that I decided I wasn't going to get it.

A friend in Portland bought it and shipped it express mail to me. *fondly* That nut! But she did get it to me on Friday (about a week or two after it came out) so I could read it on Shabbos.

This time, I'm buying my own. [Smile] I've ordered from Amazon, but with free shipping they won't ship it until after the date it comes out.

That's ok. All I need is a book arriving on Shabbos that I can't open!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be going to my local Borders, leaving my mother to hold our place in line while I sneak off to browse the bookshelves....
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I'm not buying a copy of this book. My sister and mother and whole family will probably buy a copy (and I'll wait until they've read it and then borrow it), but I'm waiting for all 7 to be published so I can get the special super deluxe box set edition. (I do this with DVDs too.) [Smile] The only HP book I've purchased was the UK version of OOTP because it came out while I was in Estonia and I found it in a little book store in Tartu. Couldn't pass that up. [Smile]

But, I've never been to a Harry Potter party. I think it would be fun, so I might head over to Borders. In fact, maybe we'll crash Borders and B&N in the same night! I'll just go with my sister because she'll buy the book. Then I won't look like a loser.

(I like Borders better simply because they have CDs and DVDs too, as well as all the books. I tend to shop at Borders more than B&N, but very rarely for books at either.)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:

--keep an eye out for Mark Evans.

SPOILER (though straight from the horse's mouth so to say and she never gives out details)??
In the FAQ section of JK Rowling's website she said there was nothing particularly important about Mark Evans. He truly is as small a character as he was made out to be.

End SPOILER

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I will also be glued to the SciFi channel to watch the much-anticipated Battlestar season premiere! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I will be on an airplane debating the nature of the international date/time line. Let's see...lose a day going over...gain two days coming back? Or is that gain and then lose...17 hours plus 2, minus 3, carry the 6...land sometime in October...No that can't be right...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Who's Mark Evans?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

My friend Molly has decided to give me Harry Potter 6 for my birthday, but she told me about it when I was telling her of my possible Harry Potter Eve plans. Now, if I go to the party, I can't buy the book. That could be okay. I will practice those "delaying-gratification" skills I keep hearing so much about. It's worth a shot.

Now I must decided whether to go to the party or go to the conference. I still don't know. It would be easier to delay gratification if I didn't surround myself with Harry Potter, but then, Harry Potter Day only comes once every other year or so, and there aren't going to be many left.

Maybe I'll skip the party and reward myself by going to Lumos 2006 next year.

everything_theory
Member # 8333

- posted      Profile for everything_theory   Email everything_theory         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read HP, never have, nor do I plan to, but I reserved it for a friend of mine. On this so-called HP Eve, I will be working a security shift at a local Dave and Buster's right across from the Barnes and Noble where I reserved it. At 11:50, I will take a ten minute break, walk over to B & N, walk past the long line of colorful costumed creatures who will meet their demise once the bar lets out, and approach my friend Eric.

"Hey Eric, how's it going?"
"Pretty good man, I'm here 'til we get all these books out."
"Yeah, same here. Never a Friday night off, eh?"
"Nah, it's all right. Perks are great! Here's your book."
"Hey thanks! How much do I owe ya?"
"Are you kidding me? Don't worry about it! You scratch my back I scratch yours!"
"I appreciate it! Stop by after work for a few drinks!"
"Ok! See ya later!"

At 11:55 I continue back to work.

~Captain Earl

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally can't see how that's possible. Barnes and Noble keeps the boxes of Harry Potter books sealed until midnight. They threaten all of the employees with some sort of punishment for opening one early. And with all of the people there, there's no way you will just be able to walk out of that store holding a book that everyone else has been waiting for all evening (plus years of anticipation), and won't be getting for another 5+ minutes depending on the number they have. From my experience two years ago with HP #5, the Barnes and Noble people would never allow it.

Have you done this before? Or are you really thinking that your friend that works there has this much control over these things.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
Who's Mark Evans?

I believe (though I won't get to rereading #5 until sometime this week) that Mark Evans is a neighborhood boy that Dudley and his gang had been picking on. People are curious about him because that's Lily's maiden name and because JK Rowling has a tendency to casually mention characters in an offhanded way, only to have them end up being essential to the plot.

edit: New page! [Party]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.