FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fantastic Four

Author Topic: Fantastic Four
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen it yet?

I love Jessica Alba.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
In the commercials it looks too much like The Incredibles but I have not seen it yet.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It's out now? (runs to check theatre listings locally)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with that, Zemra, is that the Incredibles were a total rip off of the Fantastic Four. It was really amazing how close they were.

In the FF (which has been around since the fourties) it is:
Husband: Stretchy
Wife: Invisibility / Force Fields
Brother: Flight, Fire
Friend: Strong / Durable

In the Incredibles, they made the wife stretchy, the husband strong, and the daughter invis/force fields. The fact that they made the daughter have invisibility and force fields together demonstrates that it was a rip off, since having one doesn't necessarily mean you have the other. They are fairly unrelated.

Then in Incredibles, the bad guy is a non-superhero who uses technology for his powers, just like Dr. Doom in the Fantastic Four.

If that wasn't enough evidence, the classic FF villian Mole Man comes out of the ground at the end of the movie! (on a huge machine with a mining drill on the front, just like Mole Man always does in the comics)

I was shocked that their wasn't any lawsuits against Pixar by Marvel Comics.

That's not to say that Incredibles was not a good movie, because it was. In fact, I would bet that it will prove way better than the Fantastic Four movie (which I have very little hope for).

But while the Incredibles / Fantastic Four comparisons are extremely valid, the FF came first by almost half a century.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier,

I think there weren't lawsuits for 2 reasons:

1)Pixar was careful

and

2) it was a tribute, not a ripoff.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I had no idea they were so close Xav. That's really crazy!

This movie (FF) still looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun (for those of us that have never read the comics and don't know what's it's really supposed to be like.) I might even see it!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
the Fantastic Four have been around since 1961, not the "fourties", though Mr. Fantastic's powers were the same as Plastic Man's (who was in the forties or fifties), and the Human Torch was the name of another superhero from the forties.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Pixar is great for paying homage; I'm sure that's what was intended in the Incredibles.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Dammit AC, I knew I should have fact checked that claim [Smile] . For some reason I thought they were from the fourties, I think because the Human Torch was in world war II. Of course that was a robot version, not Johnny Storm.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
How was Pixar careful? It was blatantly oblivious if you ever read any Fantastic Four comics.
And how is it a tribute? I think I’ll have a school of brilliant college kids where they fight each other then graduate to a simulator where they fight off invading aliens, but it turns out to be real. I mean it’s different. I could make an animated movie and make millions. Maybe I should call Pixar. I mean it would be a tribute to OSC right?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
The Incredibles had its own plot, its own distinctive concept, and its own identity that was very separate from the Fantastic Four. But it set up its characters as homages to classic superheroes to make it familiar, both as an archetypal fantasy world we would be instantly immersed in, and as a satire of our childhood heroes.

That's very different from trying to write a competing story that takes all its core elements from a pre-existing work.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Oh I forgot to mention, when the baby burst into flames, I immediately thought "well there's the fourth". Then it shifted, but I don't think it was a coincidence that the baby had the human torch's powers first.
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Egh, every time I read "FF" on this thread I keep thinking Final Fantasy...
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic Four starts tomorrow.
Jessica Alba is still hot today.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
From the trailers I've seen: Johnny Storm seems like the best thing in the movie. Funny and just the right attitude. Dr. Doom seems... blatantly wrong. I guess they wanted to tie him in with the 4's origins instead of having him be the ruler of Latavia (Is that even close? Starts with an L). Maybe it'll be ok.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I am totally going to see this.

Why? I don't care about the Fantastic Four. I never have. Never read their comics. Couldn't tell you any of the characters' names. The Fantastic Four never interested me.

Yeah. I'm going to get me some Alba. Just like I probably wouldn't have seen Spider-Man if Kirsten Dunst hadn't been in it. (Which would have been my loss. Even without her, it was still an excellent movie.)

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
Latveria
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, AC.

Chris Hewitt, the movie reviewer for the St. Paul paper, hated Fantastic Four. If anything, this is a good sign. He pretty much pans anything that's actually fun to watch, unless it has a "serious" actor he likes in it, in which case he drools over their performance and complains about the rest of the movie.

--Enigmatic
(may be exagerrating, but not by much)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
PS. Mole Man appeared in the second adventure of the FF, just like he appears at the end of the movie to start what appears to be the combined families second adventure.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
There's someone who actually finds Kirsten Dunst hot? Who knew!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::doesn't find Kirsten Dunst to be especially hot::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
There's someone who actually finds Kirsten Dunst hot? Who knew!

She's hyper hot...

Good actress too.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not questioning her acting abilities. I'm questioning the fact that someone thinks her face isn't scary.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Scary? She does have that little fang, but she is sooooo dreamny.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a little blood mixed in.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Kirsten Dunst's attractiveness is a total matter of taste. I understand when people say she's uber-hot, and I understand when some say she's not at all attractive. More so than most celebrities. Its really hard for me to describe... I think my personal attraction has to do with her mannerisms. When I look at pictures of her, I am not at all impressed. Seeing her in a movie (like Wimbleton or Crazy/Beautiful) and I see what the fuss is about.

She's sexy [Smile] .

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

She's sexy even when she looks busted like she did in Crazy/Beautiful.
Her acting was amazing in it.

Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
heh. this thread is as close to a regular thread on a regular forum, that i have ever seen on hatrack. Kind of funny
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Kirsten Dunst is hot as a pot of water brought to a rolling boil. I've thought so ever since I first saw her in Interview With the Vampire. And before anyone says anything, I'm only a year or two older than her, so I was the right age when that came out to find her hot. I don't find her hot when I watch that movie now, but I still find her hot in her current stuff.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it.

Mediocre. Forgettable.

The writer and the director used off the shelf comic book movie themes, canned them, and put it up on the screen.

Some plot holes, minimal characterization, ho-hum special effects, the beginning moved way too fast, some situations felt forced, some situations made no sense (Why do you go extreme snowboarding right after you were in a hospital? And for that matter, how many nurses do you meet that are both hot and can ski the K2?! Lame).

The human torch did have a few good comic moments, and 'The Thing's' rock suit was well done.

You want to see a good superhero flick, buy The Incredibles. You want to kill two hours, rent The Fantastic Four.

My seven and five year old really liked it.

[ July 08, 2005, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Exploding Monkey ]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.