FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling Crafty Crafters (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Calling Crafty Crafters
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My 12x12 scrapbook paper is actually 12 by 12, just measured it. I don't have an album to check, my current working album is 6x6. It's not big of a problem except you have to cut to fit. I had to use 8.5 by 11 for 4-H albums, and that's a pain, since the paper is more expensive than 12 x 12 paper.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just it. All of the paper that I have is truly 12X12. The problem with that quarter inch was that I didn't know about it until I had already made three pages. Luckily, I was able to shave all four sides without it looking too bad, and now for that book I cut the paper down before I begin. I don't want to have to do that all the time, though.

I've seen some album brands advertise that they have true 12X12 pages, which look promising. I guess you're right: I just need to do my research before buying anything.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished two scarves - one long one for an adult and a shorter, skinnier one for a child. They are for specific people and have been sent on their way.

My blog

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work! Those knit up very quickly, you must be speedy. Speedier than me and my eternal socks, anyway.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on ponchos for my daughters. I made a hooded "outside wear" type poncho for my daughter who lives in Idaho first. I've already given it to her, and didn't take a picture first. I made it last Spring and gave it to her for Christmas. She's since gotten pregnant, and likes the fullness of it. I had plenty yarn left over (it's an acrylic/wool blend and very soft and warm), so I made a hooded baby sweater to match.

For my daughters who live in Hawaii, I'm making more "trendy - wear inside of air conditioned building" ponchos made out of cotton yarn. I'm into more assymetrical patterns, so I like how this one hangs off center. I'm almost finished with a black one for my younger daughter.

My oldest daughter, who lives in Utah, saw the white one when she was visiting and said she wants one too, so as soon as I finish the black cotton one, I'll make hers out of a rose colored acrylic/wool blend. I think it will look nice.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Years ago, when I had my second daughter (the one who's now expecting my grandson), a neighbor of mine had just had her first child. This friend of mine was from Wales, and her mother came to visit when she had her baby, and brought scads of hand knitted sweaters and things. I guess knitting is very big in Wales, because all of her mother's friends had made things for her. When my baby came, she 'shared the wealth' and gave me two beautifully knitted sweaters.

A few years later, when my third daughter was born, a lady at my church gave me another hand knitted sweater for her (she was also British... I've come to associate knitting with British women, I'm afraid). This wonderful lady (her name was Sister Faudree) made a habit of knitting sweaters for all the new babies at church and I was thrilled to get one. While I was pregnant, she noticed that my girls' coloring would look good with a mint green sweater, so that's what she made for my baby (all of my older girls have red hair). I felt so special to have the only green sweater, when all the other babies were in pink or blue or yellow.

About that time, Sister Faudree taught some knitting classes at the church, and I learned the rudiments, but with so many small children around all the time, I never had a free hand, so I didn't do anything with it.

About a year ago, I decided I wanted to be 'Sister Faudree' here in Maui, and make sweaters for all the babies in the neighborhood. My ultimate goal, really was to be able to make sweaters for my grandbabies. I bought some needles and some yarn and practiced up a bit. I started by knitting squares for Warm Up America. Then I found some simple patterns online for dishcloths and I made a bunch of those to learn how to follow a pattern. I made a couple of simple baby afghans first, then found this pattern and started knitting sweaters. I've made probably a dozen or so of these sweaters since May of last year for co-workers and ladies at church. I still haven't made any for my grandbaby, but I will. I got a little more bold and modified the pattern to add buttons. I found another website that has an added hood pattern for this sweater.

The sweaters that I make for babies in Hawaii, I like to make with cotton yarn, or they're too hot. I found this siteto purchase cotton yarn by the cone, instead of the little balls.

I've really enjoyed making sweaters and love to see the babies wearing them at church or when their moms bring them into the office. [Smile]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma makes a car seat blanket for every baby at her church, and my aunt makes them all a hat and mittens (maybe booties too).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I'm crocheting a blanket for Matthew. I seriosly need to start on a sweater for Livve (It's supposed to be a birthday present, Feb 7th.)
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Scarves, scarves, scarves! I've been making scarves like mad this winter. A friend complimented me on one of the pretty scarves that I had made for myself, and asked if I could make her a lavender chenille scarf. (She paid for the yarn, I did the work). She loved it, but a friend of hers went crazy for it, and she landed up giving it to the friend, and then asking me for another!. We went yarn shopping, and she paid for four skeins of Patons Divine yarn, which is very soft and fuzzy, and made a wonderful long fringy scarf. I made another long wintry scarf as a thank you for a friend -- this one replete with ruffles all over.

Crochet rocks!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I just accomplished socks. Well not quite but I've got the double points going enough I know they'll happen in a week or so.

Oh if I haven't linked it, www.knitpicks.com has some of the best and well priced yarns I've ever seen, especially if you like natural yarns.

ctm
Member # 6525

I've become very fond of knitpicks.com. Their alpaca yarn is so soft and warm...
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, thanks for that link. When I get better at knitting I want to tackle a wool sweater for my husband.

--

Kohls was having a 50% off sale in the scrapbook album section, so I went ahead and bought a couple. Strangely enough, one was a Pioneer album with true 12X12 pages. I compared when I got home, and it called for the same refill pages as the first one I bought (which had 11.75X11.75 pages). So I don't know what the deal is, but at least now I have albums for my pages.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I haven't bought any alpaca except for Suri, which is a bit different, but very cool. I'm ordering yarns for felt bags, and a few more for socks (these are fun).
ctm
Member # 6525

I love the look of those felt bags, I'd love to see a picture of your when you are done, breyerchic.

Socks are fun, aren't they? I like how portable they are, I take mine everywhere and work on them whenever I have a few minutes. Got almost a whole sock done on my flight to Tucson a few weeks ago.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I've done two now, I need to take pictures of them. Both using the Booga bag pattern, but I decided I want to try some different (and cheaper) wool.

Socks are fun, mine is about 5 inches long now, and it's just a tube sock, but it's cool. I have a flight in March that I'm just planning what to knit on the way, and the whole week in Florida.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still liking the noro colorways so much I want to do more. But it's so hard, having to figure out what the colors will look like when I have to buy it online. I'm going to order several balls but I keep putting it off because I'll have to decide on colors.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm so glad some companies have color cards, so you can order this card with all the available colors.

I just googled Noro Colorways and found blogs but no place to order it.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Breyer, maybe if you post comments to the bloggers using the Noro asking for details, someone will let you know where they buy it? I've gotten designer and shop information for cross stitch patterns that way in the past!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I just found a site, but I was thinking Theca could tell me where she got hers.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
The yarn and needles for the sweater-vest I'm making came in the mail yesterday. [Big Grin] I ordered it from elann.com, which seems to have lots of high-quality yarn and supplies at really cheap prices. Their shipping was very fast too - it's a Canadian* company, and my order only took 3 days to arrive. And they have lots of pretty free patterns on their site. [Smile] This is the yarn I bought (in the color "Jacaranda"), and I'm very tempted by the Peruvian pure alpaca yarn as well...but I'm trying not to get carried away with projects.

I also got some of that self-striping Moda Dea yarn at Michael's so I can try the Great Sock Experiment. I went with double-pointed birch needles, so we'll see how it goes. [Smile] I'm figuring with two different projects, I can use one to take a break from the other.

* I'm in NY, which is why I was surprised by the speed (although the return label says it was mailed from Point Roberts, WA, so I guess they also have US warehouses). When I reread this, I realized it almost looked like I was insulting Canadian companies. [Razz]

[ January 29, 2006, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Nell Gwyn ]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Oh, I got my noro kureyon from ebay. That's what I use for things like bags, purses, etc. I got Noro silk garden for a hat, it's less coarse. You just go search noro kureyon on ebay, then look for whichp sellers have a lot of selection. Many of the sellers have ebay stores with fair selection. Seemed cheaper than the yarn stores.

So far I got mine from: http://stores.ebay.com/Fun-Knits

Oh I should add that I looked at the colorway on other websites, picked out my colors, THEN chose my ebay seller.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

here's my sock, and some of my other projects, plus the yarn Coccinelle got me in the hatrack exchange (well half of it)
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute sock! I've got to force myself to sit down soon and learn to knit!

But in all honesty I should probably finish up other projects first. I begin so many things because I just want to learn how to do everything! I saw something on beading the other day and thought, "Must. Stay away. From beads." [Razz]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't bead much, but I have, knitting is actually relaxing, so I do it more than most crafts, though I love the finished product of others, they don't have quite the fun in the process.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting a new scarf, but can't decide on what to use, so I'm doing swatches. I'm going to use two yarns together. I'll post pictures later.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the major chains have sales on the same thing across the chain, or if the sales are local?

I thought it would be cool if we could have a thread for which chains have what sales each week. I know I'd find it really useful.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I buy most of my craft supplies online. There is a dearth of craft stores on this island. I get regular emails from Joann stores, and buy from them when they have free shipping promotions. I usually get my orders in under a week, which is great for Hawaii.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

The chains are relatively standard, or at least state wide, not just by the store.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
Does anyone know if the major chains have sales on the same thing across the chain, or if the sales are local?

I thought it would be cool if we could have a thread for which chains have what sales each week. I know I'd find it really useful.

Different regions definitely run different sales. On the AOL boards (hush you!) there are several gals who post what their stores have on sale for the week, especially when DMC or yarns are on sale, which typically starts yet another round of "why are your sales different" ...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the return label says it was mailed from Point Roberts, WA, so I guess they also have US warehouses
Not necessarily.

Point Roberts is a not very large community directly across the border from Tsawwassen, which is directly south of Vancouver, BC and is considered a part of the Greater Vancouver Area. Point Roberts is used by many Vancouver and area businesses who need a US presence. There are a lot of mail box drops there and banks that deal with such companies.

The owners of the business in question could just as easily have driven across the border and mailed it themselves.

As a point of interest, Point Roberts is located on a peninsula and is not connected to the rest of the US. To get to the rest of the country, you have to drive through Canada.

[Smile] I had clients in Vancouver & area who used Point Roberts for just such purposes. [Smile]

[/useless information]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I love those ponchos maui babe! I'm itching for a new project now that I've proven I can make something besides a scarf. Where did you get your pattern?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone working on anything today?

I've decided one way to snap out of my funk is to do something creative, so I'm doing baby gifts this morning. I still haven't completed Aerin's gift and my first cousin just had his first baby early this morning so I've got to work on his too.

I wont' tell what I'm doing for Aerin, but for my new second cousin, I'm dyeing a pair of denim overalls a pale blue, then I'm appliqueing a toy airplane on it. His Dad, my cousin, loves planes and I know they did the nursery in an airplane motif. As soon as I hear back on what they've named him I'll probably also do a blanket with his name embroidered.

So I'll be doing some dyeing and sewing today, and right now I have some stuff in the dye bath. Of course, what's in there right now is pink. [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm knitting a bag that I can put my needles and stuff in for my flight to Florida in March (it will go inside my carry on).

I made a list of things I want to knit before June (when I'll probably start working at a summer camp and be uber busy).

Felted wool bag with Fair Isle flowers
Two pairs of socks (one wool, one superwash)
An infant set (2 hats, booties, mittens, maybe a bib)
Alpaca legwarmers

I also still have 4 silk scarves to dye, for myself and my mom.

Belle
Member # 2314

How's the dyeing going, breyerchic? Have you tried any of the devore satin scarves yet?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

The Devore are the ones we haven't tried. The habotai went really well, and we did two Crepe De Chin squares for my brother (red and brown, he'll use them as small curtains in his red bathroom with brown tile). I love salting them, and used two different salts for different results. Also I did a few in spiral like tye dyed t shirts, it doesn't show much because they're long and thin, but the color has neat patterns. I'm hooked, it'll be a while before I order more, but it's great fun.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on an afghan, I hit the halfway point last night which I'm realy happy about. I want to finish it by Spring Break, which is early March.

I'm also making a scarf for my boyfriend, I can probably finish it soon, but I keep getting distracted.

Finally, I'm working on more squares for Warm up America just because.

I made my first hat last weekend! It's the first thing I've made that has any shape, it actually turned out really well. I'm very proud of myself.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a beaded mer-man. It's an on-going project, though.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

I'm making an afghan for a church raffle, so it'll be done by February 24.

I'm working on baby ull Dalegarn baby set. I'm starting by doing a bootie, to boost my confidence. It's HARD. And all done with size 0, 1, and 2 needles. I'm having a terrible time doing it at home with my cat around. I brought it to work today to work on over the lunch hour.

I'm playing with some pretty yarn to make a hairpin lace afghan pattern but for a baby blanket. Still not sure it'll work out.

I have the yarn for two wool purses but haven't started them yet.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of a stained glass project. I am making a quilt block patterned window for my friend's birthday (she loves quilting)...and her birthday was yesterday. Oops.

When I went to the glass shop to buy supplies, I saw that they had classes on how to make glass beads. I thought it looked pretty fun. I won't have time to take a class for awhile though.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I had to take a break from knitting for a while because my wrist was hurting. It's feeling better now, so I'm going to jump back in to my project. I'm doing the one on the front cover, in almost that same shade of blue. I'm using Lion Micro Spun yarn. Its label claims that it's lilac, but it looks more periwinkle to me.

Unfortunately, I had to stop knitting right in the middle of shaping one of the pieces. I had been taking notes on where I was in the pattern, so hopefully I'll be able to jump back in without undoing anything.

--Mel

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

That's a cool pattern, and I love Lion Microspun, but I agree the lilac is more perrywinkle.
Belle
Member # 2314

CrowsWife that is a gorgeous pattern!
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the first thing I knitted was using Lion Suede that claimed to be teal, but seemed way too dark to be called teal to me. Maybe the person naming colors at Lion has eyesight problems. [Big Grin]

(Here's the bag. Judge the color for yourself.)

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I don't think that's green enough to be "teal". It just looks blue on my monitor.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I see the green on mine, but I'd definitely label it an intense, dark teal.

It's lovely, though.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! [Smile] I thought it turned out well for a first-ever project. It's actually darker than the picture shows, but Karl, yeah, it's much bluer than I ordinarily think of teal. It is to teal what navy is to royal blue.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and sister-in-law are expecting twins next month, so I am starting a project of making baby blankets. I got some very sweet, soft fleece, and I am trying to figure out how to crochet a baby chenille border onto the fleece. I need to either punch holes in the edges of the fleece, and crochet into that, or, if I can not do the holes, then, whipstich all around the edges with yarn, and crochet into the whipstitches. The expectant couple already knows the babies' genders, but they aren't telling. One blanket will be pale yellow with a pale green border, the other will be pale green with a pale yellow border.

When my son saw and felt the amazingly soft fleece and baby chenille, he was a little jealous, and wanted one for himself. The stuff is awesome to the touch.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Muppet,

Sorry, I missed your post above until just now. I used this pattern, but I knitted it longer than the pattern said, and sewed it differently, so it would hang asymmetrically. I used Peaches and Cream 100% cotton yarn for the one in the picture, and size 11 circular needles. It took just a little less than a cone of yarn.

maui babe
Member # 1894

I'm finishing up a rose colored wool poncho in the same pattern as I just posted above for my daughter. Then I plan to start a pink wool sweater using this pattern. I used this pattern for this sweater I made for my daughter's baby, and it was very easy.
ctm
Member # 6525

Megan, I love that bag, how did you do it? I'd like to make one...
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.