FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Egg Drop Soup

Author Topic: Egg Drop Soup
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it. I wish I could make it correctly. But whenever I "drop" eggs into a soup, they get "curdley" rather than "whispy" the way it's supposed to be.

Are there any suggestions on why this keeps happening to me, even when I vary my methods slightly?

What is the trick?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you stir the soup into a whirlpool before you drop the eggs?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

No, I haven't tried that. I usually stir quickly with a fork as I slowly pour.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Get your chicken stock simmering and stir it furiously in a circular motion. Then take your egg/water mixture and drizzle it on the sides of the vortex you've created.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I think getting the soup going really fast before you put the egg in is the key.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I've never heard that, much less tried it. I've been so discouraged time after time--but maybe tonight I will try again.

I'm in and egg-drop-mood!

beverly
Member # 6246

Ouch! I bet that hurts.

You know, I can find tons of egg drop soup recipes on the internet, but I've never seen one that mentions getting it moving first. Maybe they just expect me to know this? Grrrrr.

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] I read it in an Asian food cookbook. I think I only made it once, but I seem to remember it working. That actually sounds pretty good. . . but I'd have to go shopping if I was gonna make it tonight, and I have leftovers to eat anyway.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My secret Chinese culinary advisor taught me to thicken the soup with corn starch before adding the eggs.

You have to mix water into the cornstarch, in a separate bowl, whisk well, and only then add it to the soup. For some reason, any variance has disastrous effects. Then, let it cook for a while, whisking a lot, and bring it to a full rolling boil.

Only then can you safely add the eggs.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I make avgolemono soup, which is similar, but with lemon. I add spoonfuls of heated broth to the beaten eggs before adding them to the soup.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Tempering the eggs like Elizabeth suggests may or may not work. Because you're slowly bringing up the heat in the eggs before you add them to the dish, they may cook and clump faster, causing, well, curds rather than threads.

At the Chinese restaurant I worked in in high school, they mixed a bit of cold water in with the eggs and used a ladel to pour a thin stream of the egg wash into the swirling, boiling broth. One hand poured while the other hand stirred.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I just want y'all to know that I successfully made egg drop soup for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE! [Smile]

Thank you! Once again, Hatrack makes my life better.

The only thing I did wrong, I went "crazy" with the eggs. Three eggs for maybe 4-5 cups of broth. By the time the vortex stopped, I still had a lot of eggs to pour, and I was afraid to make another vortex--you know, messing up what was already there. So I just kinda poured the rest in. They made big eggy clumps. But the rest had the *perrrrfect* texture. I savored every bite.

Thanks again!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to be of service.

Oh wait, I didn't actually post my advice.

Ah well...

Glad it worked out.

Egg drop soup is wonderful.

I can state uncategorically that Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup is MUCH better with an egg whisked into it. Not the traditional recipe for egg-drop soup, of course, but really, not bad at all.

Yummy.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Try a little lemon, too, Bob.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Top Ramen makes a pretty good egg-drop soup as well.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I am *so* trying this with ramen. For years I've been putting egg in it, and it always turned out curdley.

w00t!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, ramen soup with egg drops is nummy.

I also beat my eggs with a bit of liquid (water or milk) -- not much, maybe a tablespoon with a couple eggs -- before adding to the soup.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Anyone ever have avgolemono soup? One of my top ten favorite foods, I think.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It is too hot and humid for soup.

I'm eating cucumber salad.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.