FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Short Stories of all time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Short Stories of all time
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, we've got similar threads going on right now, but this one is limited to favorite short stories of all time. Here are some of mine (not exhaustive by any means, nor in any particular order):

Morning Child: Gardner Dozois

The Ugly Chickens: Howard Waldrop

The Ones Who walk away from Omelas: Ursula K. Leguin

Hills Like White Elephants: Earnest Hemingway

Day Million: Frederik Pohl

Middle Woman: OSC

The Lottery: Shirley Jackson

Rage: Stephen King

Repent Harelequin, said the Ticktock Man: Harlan Ellison

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
"Burning Chrome": William Gibson

I don't really want to say that is my single favorite, but that's always the one that first comes to mind.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
The Most Dangerous Game: Richard Connell
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Lottery: Shirley Jackson

Unaccompanied Sonata: OSC

The Short, Happy life of Francis Macomber: Hemingway

Changes: Neil Gaiman

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Second for Unaccompanied Sonata.

Sound of Thunder, Ray Bradbury

Home is the Hangman, Roger Zelazny

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Ransom of Red Chief" by another of Greensboro's great writers, O. Henry.

"The Picture in the House" by H.P. Lovecraft

And just about any short story by Louis L'Amour, especially the non-Westerns.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
William Sanders' "The Undiscovered".

George R. R. Martin's "A Song for Lya"

Ursula K Leguin's "Mazes"

Maureen McHugh's "The Lincoln Train"

Howard Waldrop and Leigh Kennedy's "One Horse Town"

Nancy Kress's "Out of All Them Bright Stars"

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"Feed the Baby of Love" by OSC
"Inconstant Moon" by Niven
"Blood Music" bo Bear
"Cookie Monsters" by I don't recall who.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Howard Waldrop's "Night of the Cooters", and his collaboration with Steve Utley, "Custer's Last Jump" are fantastic as well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i second "Hills Like White Elephants"
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Anybody remember a short story that featured a small alien that was obsessed with going to swap meets and flea markets? He was very into western stuff, and wore a child's cowboy costume that he'd picked up. I remember virtually nothing else about the story, unfortunately. It *sounds* like something Waldrop might write, but I'm not sure that he did.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Dutchman's Flat

Louis Lamour

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
While your at it, does anyone remember a story of a guy being chased by a slow but persistent robot-sphere?
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
For A Breath I Tarry by Roger Zelazny
The Six Fingers of Time by R.A. Lafferty
Hawksbill Station by Robert Silverberg

I'm sure there are lots more. That's all I remember right now. Not so coincidentally, I read all of these as a teenager.

But I've reread all three at least once in the past five years and know they still entertain me.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
For A Breath I Tarry by Roger Zelazny

There's a lot of good Roger Z. This one is really nice...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I love The Most Dangerous Game [Smile]

Aside from some of OSC's best (which are a given here), I love The Great Conflagration of the Place by Ray Bradbury. My friend read it to me out loud the first time I read it and she did all the Irish accents. It was great. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While your at it, does anyone remember a story of a guy being chased by a slow but persistent robot-sphere?
Yes. I read this in eighth grade. I remember one illustration distinctly. In other words, I'm no help at all.

While I'm here, I guess -

"The Last Rung on the Ladder," by Stephen King. I once edited this a little bit for time, and gave it to my sister to read over the podium at church. She avoided mentioning the author. People cried.

"A Good Man is Hard to Find," by Flannery O'Connor.

"Carcinoma Angels," by Norman Spinrad.

"Good for Nothing," by Italo Calvino.

"Benediction," by Neal Chandler.

Of OSC, "The Porcelain Salamander." Easily.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Long Walk" Steven King
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Landlady," by Roald Dahl
"The Lottery," by Shirley Jackson
"All Summer in a Day," by Ray Bradbury
"Rappaccini's Daughter," by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wait!!!!
Favorite of all:

"Putting the Devil Back in Hell," by Boccaccio.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
"Feed The Baby Of Love," and "The Porcelain Salamander," by Orson Scott Card
"Different Kinds of Darkness" by David Langford
"Just Another Perfect Day," by John Varley
"Wapshot's Demon," by Frederick Pohl
"Blood Music," by Greg Bear
"The Man," by Ray Bradbury
"Mom and Dad at the Home Front," Sherwood Smith
"Beauty in the Night" by Robert Silverberg
And another vote for "The Cookie Monster" by Vernor Vinge. That and DKoD deserved the awards they got.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Oh, and there's this one that the title was just a bunch of overstruck letters that F Paul Wilson did for one of the David Copperfield anthologies that was terrific, along the lines of Wapshot's Demon.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Most Dangerous Game," by Richard Connell
"--And the Moon be Still as Bright," Ray Bradbury

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson

Edit (For Link):

"Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Ooh, ooh, and there was this really clever story by Timothy Zahn in Analog about a Secret Serviceman trying to save the President from Voodoo that's always stuck with me. That was a fun one, and is the book that persuaded me to try his Star Wars books (Although I don't think I ever finished the second one . . .)
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a short story by Ray Bradbury about a man who always wanted to go to space but he couldn't afford it. So he built his own "rocket ship". If anybody knows what I'm talking about and knows the title, I would greatly appreciate it. I spent an hour looking for the title the other day, but Bradbury has quite a few stories with rocket as a keyword and I couldn't find it... Anyway, that's definately one of my favorites.

Also, George R.R. Martin's "Portraits of His Children"

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:

Also, George R.R. Martin's "Portraits of His Children"

"Portraits of His Children" is one of the most painful stories I've ever read. I also remember every bit of it perfectly even though I read it at least 3 years ago. And I reread all of my favorite books every year simply because I don't remember things for longer than that.

My Favorites:

"Homeless in Hell", "Kingsmeat", and "West" by OSC

"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson

"The Ones Who walk away from Omelas" by Ursula Le Guin

"TuneSmith" by Lloyd Biggle Jr.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mimsy Were the Borogoves" by Lewis Padgett

(strider introduced me to this one, you can read it online -- just Google the title)

"The Changed Man and the King of Words" by OSC

(i can't really put my finger on it, but this was the one OSC short story that i just burst into tears while i was reading. i'm not sure why, i can read it now without getting upset, but the first time i read it...)

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
"Portraits of His Children" is one of the most painful stories I've ever read.
I found it painfully beautiful. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharaith
Member # 8385

- posted      Profile for Sharaith   Email Sharaith         Edit/Delete Post 
Beggars in Spain, by Nancy Kress

Loki 7281, by Roger Zelazny

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
"Mimsy Were the Borogoves" by Lewis Padgett

That story ended up being the inspiration for a novel I'm writing right now - 2/3 of the way through the first draft.

The Aleph and The Zahir by Jorge Luis Borges.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of these have already been mentioned, but they still deserve additional votes:

"The Lottery" -- Jackson
"All Summer in a Day" -- Bradbury
"Harrison Bergeron" -- Vonnegut
"The Monkey's Paw" -- (can't remember)
"The Cask of Amontillado" (Poe)
"Two Kinds" and "Rules of the Game" (Tan) -- these two were later made part of The Joy Luck Club, but were originally published as short stories and can still be read as such, so I'm including them.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of repeats, in no particular order:

"The Lottery" -- Shirley Jackson
"The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" (and many others) -- Ursula LeGuin
"Sandkings" -- George R. R. Martin**
"All Summer in a Day" -- Ray Bradbury
"Harrison Bergeron" -- Kurt Vonnegut
"Feed the Baby of Love" and "Homeless in Hell" -- Orson Scott Card
"Home is the Hangman" -- Roger Zelazny
"Repent Harelequin, said the Ticktock Man" -- Harlan Ellison
"Out of All Them Bright Stars" -- Nancy Kress

** I think this is my only original contribution

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mist - The Langolears - Grey Matter

All pointless fun, all by Stephen King.

I also really liked Card's Fat Farm, but I'm not even half way through Maps in a Mirror yet (trying to expose myself to other authors right now).

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:

Good one, I agree.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I came *this* close to listing "Sandkings", CT, but ended up going with "A Song for Lya" instead. It was close though.

"Blood Music" was great also, although I thought it was a novella rather than a short story. It's been a long time, though, so I'm probably wrong about that.

CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read ASFL, but now I will. Thanks.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Unaccompanied SOnata and Kingsmeat, by OSC
The Colour Out of Space, by HP Lovecraft

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Other "Harrison Bergeron" fans, ya! We must unite!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
There's a short story by Ray Bradbury about a man who always wanted to go to space but he couldn't afford it. So he built his own "rocket ship". If anybody knows what I'm talking about and knows the title, I would greatly appreciate it. I spent an hour looking for the title the other day, but Bradbury has quite a few stories with rocket as a keyword and I couldn't find it... Anyway, that's definately one of my favorites.

I'm looking for my book but I know which story you're talking about and I agree, it's a beautiful story and I'd say it's among one of my favorites. I can't find the book right now but I'm fairly sure the story is titled "The Rocket" and it's about a man who wants to go into space but can't afford to take his whole family so instead he builds his own "rocket ship" out of scraps from the junkyard he owns.

Edit: Yeah I was right that's the name of the story.

[ July 20, 2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Rico ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Thanks Rico! I really appreciate it! [Smile]

[ July 20, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Amanecer ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That sounds like a good story.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer "Deer in the Works" to "Harrison Bergeron" by Vonnegut. I think the latter is a classic case of the author writing himself into a corner.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
First Meetings (x4);
Asimov's one about that ultimate computer wanting to die (Multivak or something similar, a long time since I read it.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Unaccompanied Sonata, by OSC
The Tell-Tale Heart, by Edgar Allan Poe
The Chaser, by John Collier

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Add another vote for me for OSC's "Unaccompanied Sonata."
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"The Changed Man and the King of Words" by OSC

Yeah, I loved that story as well.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna roll the bones by Fritz Leiber. Best short story ever. I can't stand anything else he wrote, but that story is amazing.

Pruzy's Pot by Theodore Sturgeon.
Good luck finding it, but you will be richly rewarded if you do.(heh, heh)

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Exploding Monkey:
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:

Good one, I agree.
Ahem. docmagic wasn't the first one to list this one. :pirate:
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a short story I read many many many years ago that has always stuck in my head. In fact, I may have even asked about it here a few years ago...

It involves a strange child with incredible powers. An entire town has been 'removed' from the rest of the world by the child and every person in the town, including its family controls their thoughts and actions rigourously as the slightest tantrum or upset from this child could cause them to be destroyed horribly. Or worse - altered....

I have no idea what the name of the story is or who wrote it - but since it's stuck with me so powerfully for so many years, I guess it deserves a mention. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to know the name.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.