FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » And Mr. Bush selects...

Author Topic: And Mr. Bush selects...
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
New Supreme Court justice to be announed tonight!

Who will the President select? Who will be mad afterwards? Will we all survive?

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I think who will be mad afterwards is pretty easy to figure...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I haven't really been following this, is this before or after Senate approval.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Edith Jones is going pretty strongly on the markets... http://www.tradesports.com/jsp/intrade/contractSearch/#
(Go to legal on the left, then Supreme Court)
But she's not the favorite, according to the bookies: http://tinyurl.com/duml6
(Click on "Next Justice Appointed to US Supreme Court")

The markets were right about the presidential race...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is clear who will be mad - that all depends on who gets selected.

I think the biggest possibility for disappointment and anger lies with the pro-life movement, if the candidate is not clearly and solidly in favor of overturning Roe v. Wade. Given that most of the 6 Roe supporters on the court are younger, if they can't even get a strong evangelical conservative like Bush to appoint a judge that will overturn it, it will probably not be overturned in this generation. Nevertheless, some of the names being floated as favorites of Bush are not clearly anti-Roe.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
How much do you want to bet that he'll sneak in (but phrased much nicer), "...and don't you Democrats dare try to filibuster this nominee!!!" [Smile]
Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How much do you want to bet that he'll sneak in (but phrased much nicer), "...and don't you Democrats dare try to filibuster this nominee!!!"
Done.

quote:
McClellan said the American people expected that the Senate confirmation process would be a dignified one.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, even as pro-life as I am, I'm not even expecting Roe vs. Wade to be overturned no matter who president Bush selects. What I'm more interested in is a justice that supports individual rights, like my right to own property.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh. Karl Rove.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? Everyone will be mad.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bit nervous that he's taking this to the public first in a national TV. I am afraid he knows that his choice is going to be controversial, so he wants to grab as much media as he can to promote his view in the face of an expected strong reaction from Democrats and moderate Republicans.

I am hoping that I am wrong about this. I can think of a dozen good reasons for him to pick a good, dignified, judge who is not pro-life or pro-choice or pro-Christian or pro-state, but who is pro-law and anti-politics.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a good, dignified, judge who is not pro-life or pro-choice or pro-Christian or pro-state, but who is pro-law and anti-politics.
That's exactly what I'd like to see too.

I hate the litmus tests, no matter what side presents them.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.