FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » M$ Tries to patent the smiley (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: M$ Tries to patent the smiley
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I know all you slashdot readers have already heard this. But I didn't see it anywhere here when I did a search.

Microsoft attempts to patent the smiley

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] [Taunt] [Wave]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. This is hardly news.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I were talking about this recently, they've even got a patent on trying to teach someone music.

What we believe is two things, the reason Microsoft are taking these patents is so that if they are sued by a company, they will have enough patents to say that the company suing has already infringed on so many of their patents.

The second is that Microsoft already is moving for a reform in the patent system, perhaps their reasons for this is to try to show just how much it needs reformed.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they want to patent it so they can go on a piracy quest against illegal use of smileys.

Microsoft Steps Up Piracy Fight

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Just for that, I'm think we should patent every three letter internet acronym, the phrases "log on" and "log off", the word "w00t!" and the letter e.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
And the u
nicode-character for a "dotless i"; aka: "ı".

I thınk I wıll start usıng ıt; I never got why the "ı"s have a dot on top of them - ısn't ıt stupıd?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
No! Put the dots back!!

If this were the Bible, you'd be in Serious Trouble.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

That's just weird man
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bıble? Dots on the "ı"s ın the Englısh Bıble are rather mıld compared to the "ımportance" a Hebrew Sefer-Torah (Torah book - scroll) to have the nıce lıttle "flags" on top of certaın letters. Look at any Torah scroll and see the lıttle letter-elaboratıons.

It's harder to read ıt so mınd you. And ıt's annoyıng because you've got to read ın publıc these thıngs.

Who needs the dots on the "ı"s anyway?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You're breaking my mind! Put back the dots, spelling devil!!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Der Grammatikfuehrer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The dots exist to make the letter i more readable by helping it stand out from neighboring letters. But since you can't grasp this basic fact and since you have committed so many other linguistic crimes, I hereby sentence you to a reeducation camp. If you resist, I will be forced to beat you senseless with a tray of movable type.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Hah Hah I like your username.
Der Grammatikfuehrer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Danke schön.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Wow, so I can call myself "Der Grammatikkönıg" and defy your rules. The only reason "ı" ıs more readable wıth dots ıs because you're used to ıt.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, I am the Official Grammar Communist of these boards. And no, I'm not partitioning Poland with you, we all know where that leads. I'll just invade straight away.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

It's not that hard to read it without it because we know what words are being written. It's like that thing where you can jumble the letters inside a word, keeping the first and last letters the same, you can still comprehend it.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Try reading cursive script without dotted i's.

For a great example, take a look at Samuel Beckett's handwriting if you can find a sample.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Wow, so I can call myself "Der Grammatikkönıg" and defy your rules. The only reason "ı" ıs more readable wıth dots ıs because you're used to ıt.

So? If everyone's used to it this way, and there's nothing wrong with it, why complain about it and petition for change?
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
It's like that thing where you can jumble the letters inside a word, keeping the first and last letters the same, you can still comprehend it.

This is pretty easy to disprove.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
So? If everyone's used to it this way, and there's nothing wrong with it, why complain about it and petition for change?
'Cause I've got to do something in my life!
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
It's like that thing where you can jumble the letters inside a word, keeping the first and last letters the same, you can still comprehend it.

I've seen it done before.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

http://samuel-beckett.net/handwriting.html

He dotted the "ı"s.

kojabu
Member # 8042

Reading handwriting is a lot different than reading text online anyway.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, only examples I've read are from his personal notebooks (Washington University in Saint Louis has several in their collections), where he was, ah, liberal with his handwriting.

That is, most of it just looks like up and down squiggles.

I guess he wrote neater when he thought others might read it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
'Cause I've got to do something in my life!

Do something worthwhile instead.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I write sloppy notes to myself, but not a paper I'd hand in.

And what worthwhile things can I do? I invited someone to Hatrack - six posts only; I write poetry - Tom complains about Yodaness; I make language reforms - and the Grammar Communists and Fürers attack me for bad orthographic skill; I practise language - and I'm banished from co-ruling the Galaxy.

Easy for thee to talk.

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The second is that Microsoft already is moving for a reform in the patent system, perhaps their reasons for this is to try to show just how much it needs reformed.
Considering Microsoft's past behaviour and their penchant for using patent law as a weapon I find it hard to envision them championing reform unless it is structured as such to give large semi-monopolies even more latitude.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Mıcroſoft's monopulative. Everybody knows that; now, we've got to stop them from patenting the 30 letters: a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, ı, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, ſ, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z, þ, ð.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mack should patent the finger.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

You mean

,,|,,

?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
And what worthwhile things can I do?

If you want to know more about language, go read a few linguistics textbooks. Research Proto-Indo-European verb forms or the Great Vowel Shift. Learn Old English or something.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
quote:

It is a HOAX. And I am telling you, the next person to reference it . . . well, I don't want to make any threats, but I refuse to be responsible for what I may do.

[Mad]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat actually invented the "finger" as I know it on message boards.

He says I owe him a lot of quarters.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is a HOAX. And I am telling you, the next person to reference it . . . well, I don't want to make any threats, but I refuse to be responsible for what I may do.

[Mad]

Um I'm sorry, but I've read things that people have written like that, that's where I'm basing it off of. Maybe it's just my brain.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The trick to that is that you can't scramble the letters too much—especially letters with ascenders and descenders. That e-mail was posted three or four times here on Hatrack, and people quickly came up with scrambled words that were impossible to read because they were too jumbled.

But the original e-mails themselves were a hoax, even if it "worked." There was no such study at any university.

kojabu
Member # 8042

I wasn't aware of any of that, sorry.
rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry, I got overexposed to that email (I believe in one memorable week there were four Hatrack threads, three threads at various other fora I frequent, and a handful of copies in my email) and tend to react badly to any mention of it.

Peace?

kojabu
Member # 8042

Oh definately. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile] ®
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, this is the second time this week I've seen you scream "HOAX" in relation to that subject. On what are you basing this? Last time you referenced Snopes.com, but they only list it as Undetermined, and that isn't talking about the phenomenon itself, but whether it was "discovered" by a university study. (They name the university, but I'm too lazy right now to look it up.)

So, what gives? What makes it a "hoax". It is clear that the phenomenon exists to some degree, at least for the text in the email that was being sent around. (I can't vouch whether it works across the board or not.)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Here's a good place to start. I think it's fairly obvious that it's a hoax. There has not been any such study at any university, so the first claim—that this is the product of research—is false. Secondly, it's not true that the letters can be in any order. That link shows what happens when you really start to scramble the words. Furthermore, studies have shown that we read by recognizing the shape of words—it's not simply a matter of the first and last letter. That's why it can be so hard for someone people to sound out long words that they're unfamiliar with; even if it's an easy word to say, they tend not to read letter-by-letter.
kojabu
Member # 8042

KarlEd, can you link me to the Snopes article? I couldn't find it when I checked the site.
rivka
Member # 4859

KarlEd, did you follow the links at the end of the Snopes article?

Jonathon makes several good points:
  • The study the email cites never happened -- this is the biggie, IMO.
  • The actual claim is not true. It is harder to read scrambled words. How much harder depends on the exact scrambling.

Additionally, there are several words in that infamous email that are decodable primarily because they have letters duplicated. ("rscheearch")

It is difficult enough to convince people to (at least attempt) to spell correctly without giving them (invalid) excuses not to . . .

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
boy -- I had to scroll up and read what you were calling a hoax -- because just catching the tail end of this thread, I at first thought you were talking about what I originally posted -- and I thought "then every major news organization is wrong".

But I see the thread drifted into a different direction. *whew*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Jon Boy, I have a question:

If a dash placed between two words - such as this pair - is supposed to be an EM Dash, how come Microsoft Word gives you an EN Dash when you do the letter-space-hyphen-letter-space sequence? You'd expect them to know!

(Mind you, Publisher does an EM Dash, without any spaces. Should you or shouldn't you put spaces before a dash?)

KarlEd
Member # 571

rivka,
OK, I understand now. [Smile]

kojabu, you can find the snopes article here.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, Karl. I know that I've been particularly snappish the last few days, and I apologize.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Jon Boy, I have a question:

If a dash placed between two words - such as this pair - is supposed to be an EM Dash, how come Microsoft Word gives you an EN Dash when you do the letter-space-hyphen-letter-space sequence? You'd expect them to know!

(Mind you, Publisher does an EM Dash, without any spaces. Should you or shouldn't you put spaces before a dash?)

Because Microsoft Word is a piece of crap and its autocorrect features are retarded.

Actually, it's probably because most people don't put spaces around dashes. However, I believe it is common in Britain to use an en dash surrounded by spaces rather than an em dash without spaces. I'm guessing that Word thinks this is what you're doing.

KarlEd
Member # 571

No apology necessary. [Smile] I didn't take it as particularly snappish. I just wasn't sure what your reasoning was. I probably missed it when the threads about the original email were going around. Then, encountering your dismissals back-to-back like that piqued my curiosity.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.