FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Students - Whatcha Taking in the Fall? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: College Students - Whatcha Taking in the Fall?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just confirmed my fall registration and thought it might be fun to see what we're all taking this semester coming up.

I have two 100 level courses that are required for my major. One is an Intro to Human Communication and the other is a Survey of Mass Communications.

Then, I am taking a 300 level course in Health and Medical Communication.

Only three classes this semester, I was going to take 15 hours but decided to cut back when we were afraid we'd need money for other things this fall. The good thing is all of them are Tuesday/Thursday classes so I don't have to drive to the campus every day.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Prosecution Clinic
Independent Study (Basically a 50-page paper)
Negotiation Institute
Federal Income Tax
Intellectual Property - Patent
Accounting/Corporate Finance (or maybe just accounting).

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Religious Studies (Christian history from 325 to 1500)
Thesis research-finishing thesis on Buddhist conceptions of anatta

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Linguistics 101
Urban Archeology
Intro to Near Eastern Civilization
Tantric Traditions
Religions of Ancient Israel

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
I am taking electrophysiology and a neurophysiology lab. The lab is going to be interesting- one solid week of neurophysiology from 8-5. I have had biology-related labs in the past which were merely a way of throwing a lot of work at you at once while others have been the most interesting and though-provoking experiences of my time in school. I really hope that this lab falls into the latter category, or it is going to be a looong week.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Professional Editing
Professional Writing with a focus on style

However, I want kojabu's schedule.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Okay, I feel....stupid. [Razz]

In my defense, those two 100 level classes had to be gotten out of the way. And next semester will be a bit more challenging.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] This is cool. I am deep into the "Summer will never end" Blues, and I can't wait to go back to school...happens every year.

My schedule is not completely set in stone yet, but some of the classes I'm taking are:

Explorations in Teaching Music (my *first* Music Ed. class! Only problem is it's daily at 8(!!)AM... [Grumble] I really am excited though!)
Music History 3 (starts with Beethoven)
Conducting
LDS Church History to 1844
Voice Lessons and Master Class...which I am completely freaked out about.
...and my personal favorite, for my Humanities minor(or perhaps double major): American Popular Culture of the 50's and 60's [Razz]

So excited! [Smile]

Good luck with yours, Belle!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Do NOT feel stupid. You're doing the classes required for your degree. [Smile]

I love that it's not a race.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going on to my last year for my biomedical engineering degree, with a cell and tissue emphasis. I'm taking:

Cell Engineering
Tissue Engineering
Senior Design (a year long project where we...design something)

One more year of hell....

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Ha ha ha...mine sounds pretty fluffy compared to all you science types. [Smile]

Isn't it wonderful how everyone enjoys doing something different?

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, definitely not a race, I had to take a number of 100 and 200 level classes required for my major that I've just managed to get through recently. Think of them as GPA boosters [Wink] .

I'm taking:

ECON E321 Intermediate Microeconomic Theory
INFO I300 Human-Computer Interaction
INFO I303 Organizational Informatics
JOUR J300 Communications Law
INFO I499 Readings & Research in Informatics

(The last one is a course one sets up in arrangement with a faculty member, I'm going to be focusing on the place of informatics in non-profits: reading the classic works on non-profit organization and operation, creating an ontology for a some subdomain of importance to non-profits, writing a series of short response/reaction papers, and writing a longer paper on the general place of informatics in non-profit organizations with my ontology as a theoretical example).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*does a dance*

NOTHING! My coursework is over! [Big Grin]

Of course, I'm taking quals the second and third week in September, so make of that what you will.

hansenj, master classes are only as scary as the teachers involved. I've been to master classes taht were terrifying, and master classes that were fun, and some that were just flat out dull. You never know.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
International Economics (400)
Differential Equations (300)
Operations Research (400)
Ethical Theory (200)
Lifefit: Physical Conditioning (lab/lecture p.e. class)

I'm also auditing Philosophy of the Mind, which is a 400, but I might switch my audit to Developmental Economics, depending on whether it's going to be offered next year, when I can take it for credit, or not.

I'm really looking forward to my classes, although my schedule isn't the best in the world (too many holes and the economics class is at night).

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Professional Editing
Professional Writing with a focus on style

However, I want kojabu's schedule.

I'm excited about it, especially the part where I don't have class until 2.55 on Tuesdays.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
kojabu, where are you studying?
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Megan, my teacher for the master class happens to be one of the people I auditioned for. I've had a little interaction with him, and he seems very kind but also intimidating. Mostly I'm freaked out because I know that most of the other singers in the class have stronger voices than me. I'm on the bottom end of the scores that have been allowed into the program. But yeah, it's a good kind of freaked out. It's the exciting-but-new kind of freaked out. Hopefully he won't end up being too terrifying, though. [Wink]
kojabu
Member # 8042

Cornell U, in lovely Ithaca, NY.
Belle
Member # 2314

You're right Kat. It's not a race or any other type of competition. I have respect for all people who finish a college degree, regardless of what it's in because what's "easy" to one person is very hard for others.

My advisor was helping me pick a science because I'm short a science credit because my biology work was in anatomy, which for some reason doesn't count as a science for the puroses of satisfying core curriculum requirements. Don't ask me, I don't understand it either. So she suggested Physical Science for Arts and Humanities majors which she said the science types called "Science for Dummies."

She then said, "Like they'd be able to handle some of our courses. I'd love to take a hot-shot chemistry major and drop him in an Advanced Elizabethan Poetry class." [Razz]

Which of course, doesn't mean that some people can't be good at both, but her point was well taken.

Since I'm planning on graduate school, I took a look at the math requirements for the GRE, because my math has always been weak and my last math class was a dozen years ago. My husband was helping me, and he's one of those people who just groks math, ya know? So I told him I was feeling very stupid, and he said "Honey, there's no way I would have made A's like you did in the classes you took this semester. You have no idea how proud I am of you." I melted. I actually cried. To which he said "Wait a minute, there's no crying in calculus!" [Big Grin]

Megan
Member # 5290

It's all in their personality, really, rather than their skill. Some absolutely amazing teachers can have fun and friendly master classes. Some fairly abysmal musicians can have awful, stiff, nerve-wracking master classes. However, if the teacher seems kind, then the master class will probably be just fine. [Smile]

I once attended a cello master class here at IU. The teachers were Helga Winold, another junior faculty member, Tsuyoshi Tsutsumi, and Janos Starker. THAT was intimidating, and I wasn't even playing.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
To which he said "Wait a minute, there's no crying in calculus!" [Big Grin]
[Big Grin] I get the "There's no crying in..." line all the time from my husband.

And, in case I haven't said it elsewhere, Belle, congratulations on going back to school. [Smile]

Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks Megan, I really love it.

I'm so excited about my medical communication class. That really fascinates me and I'd love to study it more. Luckily UAB has a huge medical center and lot of the reasearch here is in the healthcare field.

katharina
Member # 827

No problem. I taught Writing for Biochemists, and boy was that a disaster. Bob the Lawyer is the exception.
Beanny
Member # 7109

kojabu - I thought you had something to do with the military...or do also students of aren't military officers study at Ithaca?
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
hansenj, that's cool that you're taking voice lessons. Good luck with that! If I had a stronger voice I would totally go for classes like that.

I am taking one class that basically covers the theory and practice behind white papers. Interesting!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

An officer? I'm confused.
Beanny
Member # 7109

I edited before I saw your post. Isn't Ithaca a school for ROTC? Lemme check this out...

Ah, no. I was slightly confused, because I recall reading Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) being taught in Ithaca college, but now I realized that "The Cornell Army ROTC Battalion also has cadets from its partnership schools:..... Ithaca College". So my memory slightly misleaded me...

katharina
Member # 827

kojabu, what degree are you pursuing?
kojabu
Member # 8042

Cornell has ROTC, but I'm not part of it. I don't know what percentage of Cornellians are actually ROTC students, but I don't think it's overly high.

The military would never want me anyway. [Wink]

kojabu
Member # 8042

kat - I'm getting a BS in City and Regional Planning and a BA in Religious Studies. I just added the religious studies major last year so I'm kind of behind on the coursework for that. I only need a few more courses for CRP so it works out well.
katharina
Member # 827

Oh...fun! I'm jealous! I took a 100 level class that touched on city planning. It was a pretty hokey class, but I'll bet in a good program it's completly fascinating. It combines history, culture, phsychology, architecture, and aesthetics. And Religious Studies would be sheer fun.

I don't have enough lives to spend. [Frown]

kojabu
Member # 8042

Yea, it's not bad. What are you getting your degree in (something with communications I'm assuming)?

My ideal life would be college forever, alas, that isn't possible.

Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My ideal life would be college forever, alas, that isn't possible.
If you think that, you're not trying hard enough. It's possible.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm getting a Master's in Technical Writing. My end goal is to do projects during the summer and teach university during the year. I'm not in a big rush - the job I have now is towards that goal.

I was thinking that after I got my master's, my next job could be with a textbook company making those interactive science DVD-ROMs. I got minors in Biology and Chemistry as an undergrad.

Sorry. That's probably much more than you were asking.

kojabu
Member # 8042

kat - nah, that's really cool. It would be probably be fun to make those anyway if you're into the subjects (I'm personally not, but kudos to you). [Smile]
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Next fall I'm taking Family Changes & Diversity and Families and Public Policy.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking:
1-Marriage and Family Therapy Techniques
2-MFT II- Constructivist Approaches
3- Family Stress and Crisis Intervention
4- Research Practicum (work for the Department of Defense on the effects of parental deployment on adolescents.)

Fun fun!

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennie, I took the Church History class last winter! It's tough, but really interesting. I had Hartley.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
At NC State I will be taking:

CSC 230: C and Software Tools
CSC 255: String Processing Languages (PERL)
CSC 461: Computer Graphics
ENG 331: Communication For Engineering and Technology
HI 322: Rise Of Modern Science
PSY 420: Cognitive Processes

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Linguistics - English Words (half-year course)
English - Major British Writers
English - Canadian Fiction 20th Century
History - European history 19th, 20th centuries.
Politics - International Relations

And another half course which is as yet undetermined.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's something about biochemists, Kat. I was a TA for biochemistry for biochemists and it was largely a disaster as well. Although better than metabolism for biochemists with organic biochemistry for biochemists being the lowest of the low.

Really we're just stupid people with a great PR department [Smile]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Italian Lit. 63115--Dante: Thematic Elements in the Commedia
Italian Lit. 73667--Petrarch: "I frammenti dell'anima"
Lit. 73905--World Literature: Metamorphosis

And then I'll probably either take a language class (probably Latin) or a cool 17th-century British religious poetry course.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
Organic Chemistry, World Regional Geography, Advanced Calculus II, Engineering Physics I, Introduction to Engineering.

This is my first semester at college.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by Dante:
Italian Lit. 63115--Dante: Thematic Elements in the Commedia
Italian Lit. 73667--Petrarch: "I frammenti dell'anima"
Lit. 73905--World Literature: Metamorphosis

And then I'll probably either take a language class (probably Latin) or a cool 17th-century British religious poetry course.

Yay Italian! I want to take a fourth semester of the language, but I have to wait until Spring to do so.

Edited for odd spelling error.

[ July 29, 2005, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: kojabu ]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Intro to Veterinary Technology
Veterinary Anatomy & Physiology
Chemistry of Life
Intro to Philosophy

:-) I'm excited

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Computer Applications in Agronomy
Applied Horse Genetics
Farm Management.

These are the last ones I need for my degree. I'm So excited.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Comparitive Religion
Chemistry
Algebra

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gosu -
Congratulations on your first semester! It looks like you've got a pretty heavy courseload - I considered engineering for awhile, but decided to go for math & econ instead.

But I've taken my share of science-y courses. If I can suggest one piece of advice on doing well in those type of courses - do the problem sets EVERY DAY. If you're having trouble with one of the sections, see your professor or an acadmic tutor right away(most colleges have a tutoring service), and keep doing problems in those sections until you get it right.

A lot of new students, myself included, figure that since the problem sets aren't collected like they were in high school, there's no need to do them. I figured out about half way through my first semester that wasn't the greatest plan.

I'm a tutor now, and I see a lot of students coming in who didn't keep up with the problem sets, and also figured out about halfway through the semester that they were in over their heads.

Like my favorite math professor says in his Indian version of English: "Math is a participation sport! You can't sit on the sidelines just watching!"

/unrequested advice [Wink]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I floundered through my organic chemistry course, because I didn't do the problems. My nutriton class, on the other hand, where I was half teaching the other students, I did much better, because I did a lot of problems to make sure I could explain it.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Ashley, that's cool! I'm excited for it. I have Susan Easton Black. She has been recommended to me by several people over the years.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.