FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Students - Whatcha Taking in the Fall? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: College Students - Whatcha Taking in the Fall?
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
Susan Easton Black is great. A little dry at times but she knows her stuff. Have fun with your time at the Y...never will you be surrounded with so many amazing scholars of church history.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Non Violence (theory) (400 level)
Beginning German I (100 level)
Imperial Russia (400 level)
Philosophy of Anc./Medieval World (400 level)

At the school I'm attending, the classes have a base of 4 credit hours (instead of the, somewhat, normal 3). One of my friends in Calgary just will not understand this and keeps telling me, "take five classes you slacker." I've explained that five classes for me will be 20 credit hours (I tried this last semester and ended up dropping two classes, I wont make that mistake again!)

[ July 29, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Chungwa ]

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure if I got all of my first choices, but here's what I'm hoping for:

Single Variable Calculus
Foundations of International Politics
Introduction to international Studies: Globalization
French II

And this is off-topic but I just found out my student employment is in the school library!!

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided on four classes:

Greek 402
Latin 400
Neolithic and Bronze Age Greece
The silly required seminar for new MA candidates

Should be an interesting fall - MWF I don't start until noon, and TR I'm done by 9:15. Stupid seminar starting at 8 in the morning [Grumble]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King's Man
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for King's Man   Email King's Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Physics I
Introductory Latin I
Intro to Comp. Aplication
Human Anatomy

These are all recquired courses except for Latin which I'm taking for fun. Right now I'm majoring in Biomedical Sciences but I'm not so sure Medicine is where I want to go anymore. I've taken a few intoductory philosophy and psych. courses and found that I really enjoyed them and was actually good at it. So far I've not really liked the stuff I have to take for my major. I worry that maybe I only feel this way because I'm just being lazy. I'm just not sure what I wan't to do anymore.

Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

I found that I disliked a lot of the required history classes that I've taken (though I understand and appreciate the reason they are required).

Have you taken any electives in your field? If you have, they might give you a better idea of whether or not you're where you want to be.

Off topic: Now, if only the Canadian government will tell me if they've approved my stduent loan for studying in the US!

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King's Man
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for King's Man   Email King's Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the electives we have to take are math and humanities elective, history, philosopy, art that sort of thing. Those have always been my favorite types of things to study anyway. As for electives in my major, there aren't many. The ones that are there are for seniors and such, research and independent study type things.

P.S. I figure I still have a good year or two to really nail down what I'm going to do. I have a friend in law school and from what he tells me, I would really enjoy that.

Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Oh okay. Obviously I'm ignorant about how most colleges operate (my school loves electives, for everything - which is alright by me) - or maybe it's because I'm only familiar with how the Social Sciences/Humanities work in some schools.

It's my opinion that when people are deciding what to study, they should weigh what they enjoy as the heaviest part. I know a lot of people who disagree with this though.

King's Man
Member # 8147

Thanks Chungwa. I'll figure it all out. I just hope that whatever I choose, I won't disappoint my family. I know they'll stand behind me no matter what but I still wan't to do something they will approve of.
t-lee
Member # 1326

- posted      Profile for t-lee   Email t-lee         Edit/Delete Post 
Geometric Group Theory
Fuchsian Groups
Topics in Topology
Voice Lessons
Take General Exams

Teaching: Calc II

(The life of a Grad Student)

Posts: 79 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, we have a math grad student lurker. [Smile]

I'm planning on going to grad school for economics, which is basically an applied math program for the first two years.

Rant:
I really, really, really, hate how my school credits classes. Every "normal" type class (three or four hours a week) is ONE credit, and labs, some music classes, and p.e. classes are half or quarter credit classes.

It's so stupid. Calc III is not the equivalent of Underwater Basketweaving. Further more, four hour classes (Tues & Thurs for two hours each) should not give you the same amount of credit as a class that meets for 45 or 50 minutes three times a week.

And don't even GET me started on how they transfer credit from a school with a normal system.

/rant [Smile] Thanks - I feel better now

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Medieval Latin
The Planet We Live On (100-level physical geography, for kicks)
East Comes West, West Turns East (eastern religion and the Western World)
Women in the Great Religions (not 100% sure)
Thesis Prep Part A

Courses, roughly in order of how much I'm looking forward to them.

Edit: Chungwa, a book I used for my Latin Philosophy class was really useful to me. The Roman Philosophers.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

I'll look into that book.

I emailed the professor of my Anc./Medieval phil class and got a rough list of some of the philosophers we'll be covering. There are some Roman ones, and I haven't had much experience with them (aside from Old Man Cato).

Ah, it seems my public library has the book - I'll go grab it and take a look before I have to leave for school.

Thanks Eaquae Legit.

starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
Advanced Univariate Statistics (8:30 AM Monday and Wednesday. Even for a stats geek such as I, that is a bit much.)

Behavior Pathology

Ethics & Professional Issues in Couns. Psych.

Personality Assessment

Finishing my thesis

And a research assistantship.

I am SO looking forward to being a full-time non-client seeing student again. It's not even funny. Except that it is. It's adorable. I even bought a new planner (the old one had too much baggage) and then replaced it with another new planner (that had larger slots to write in for the day by day than the first new planner.)

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking:
Dramaturgy II - Literary Management
South and Southeast Asian Drama
Teaching Practicum
Tragedy on the Modern British Stage (probably - I need to add this one)

And I'm *teaching* Theatre 101! This'll be my first time as a teacher, so I'm pretty nervous and excited. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by kwsni:
Computer Applications in Agronomy
Applied Horse Genetics
Farm Management.

kwsni, are you in an equine studies program? That would've my second choice if I hadn't decided on theatre...I still might do it someday too - or at least I dream of one day *owning* a stable, if not actually managing it. [Wink]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Political Science- Intro to International Relations (I'm really upset about this one, my first semester I took a course called "Governments of the World" that was supposed to take care of this requirement. Naturally when I tried to take classes, it didn't count. So I have to take this again, instead of the interesting international relations class I want to take)

Astronomy- The Solar System

Political Science- Intro to Political Analysis

Spanish 2

Spanish Dialogue

Psychology- Human Sexuality

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
"East Comes West, West Turns East (eastern religion and the Western World)"

I am jealous. At texas tech, they only offer one eastern religion class and I have taken it at both an undergrad and grad level. I really want to take eastern philosophy classes! You are lucky!

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Susan Easton Black is great. I grew up in the same ward with her and was friends with one of her sons. Smart lady who knows her stuff.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
Beginning Japanese I
Foundation I Drawing

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Intermediate engineering design
Electrical circuits
Biomaterials
Bioengineering transport phenomena

I am approaching these classes with some mixture of interest and fear.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Two more good recommendations of Susan Easton Black! I'm definitely excited to take her class. (Aside from slightly dry at times) I haven't heard anything bad about her.

OK, so why isn't it time to go back to school yet?? *taps foot impatiently*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t-lee
Member # 1326

Yes Jhai, I'm a lurker and a math grad student. (I don't believe in math applications, just pure math. [Smile] ) I hope to have my PhD in two/three more years. Last time I was in the forum I was trying to decide between studying Math or Japanese. I chose math, but I practice Japanese each week with one of my professors from Germany. [Dont Know]
Posts: 79 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

hmmmm... I think I remember that thread - I was a lurker then too!

Might have guessed from your class list that you prefer pure over applications. And good luck teaching Calc II - of the typical three Calc classes, I think that one has to be the most frustrating for professors. You start getting into the more arcane calc topics (at least for the non-math major), the technique gets a lot harder, and you get a good number of students in the class who just barely got through Calc I. By Calc III they've weeded themselves out, typically.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Humean, it's not an eastern philosophy class, more like a sociology type course. But they do offer classes on Religions of the East, and also specific religions. I guess it's a pretty good place for multiculturalism.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking...

Music Theory 3
Ear Training 3
Survey of Music History 1
Private Composition
Speech/Communication
Voice lessons
Cello lessons
3 different choirs

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t-lee
Member # 1326

You are right on about Calc II. It's even worse here because they split it up into 4 semesters instead of 3. I've been teaching it this summer and I have at least 3 repeaters and one threepeater. I do enjoy making evil exams though. [Evil Laugh]
Jhai
Member # 5633

Goodness - they break it down into FOUR semesters? At the school I currently go to it's three semesters, which I thought was a fair amount of time.

Back when I took Calc it was four quarters, and I tell you, we thought that was plenty long enough! *waves cane*

Really, though, how can you get four semesters out of Calc? Do you cover a lot of material, or just go pretty slow?

At the school I'm currently at they use the Stewart book, which is the same one I used when taking Calc at a local college back while I was in high school.

Do you put fun (but evil) word problems on your exams? I can think of so many amusing problems you could create for integrals...

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am taking:

Freshman Music Theory

Music Theory Lab

Piano Proficiency

Private Lessons

Orchestra

String Ensemble

Bass Ensemble

Recital Class

Intro to Anthropology Honors

Freshman Writing Honors

Total Credits:17

Needless to say I am a Music Performance Major.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Differential Equations
Bioethics
Intermediate Spanish I
General Chemistry
Prehistoric Archaeology

I'm planning on a major in biology with concentration in ecology and evolutionary biology and a minor in anthropology. All of the classes I'm taking are required, and if I want to graduate in three more years like I'm planning all the classes I take from now on will be required ones. No more electives for me. I already wasted most of two years with them. I guess that's what happens when you start college with absolutely no idea what you want to do.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I got Calc II in one quarter in high school. Maybe there's more material in your versions?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Rudolph and Allegra- Way to represent music majors! [Smile] I've been through all four semesters of theory and ear training that they do at my school. Is it four semesters at both of your schools? If so, you're halfway there, Rudolph! And, Allegra, what an exciting thing to be starting! (In case you didn't know, I'm a Music Education:K-12 Choral major. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
yay music! i'm starting my sophomore year, we have music theory and ear trainging our first 4 semesters, and then i'll take composition and arranging theory classes (my major is music compostion/arranging, voice is my principal).
Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
[Smile] This is cool. I am deep into the "Summer will never end" Blues, and I can't wait to go back to school...happens every year.

I know exactly what you mean. For me the Blues started about two months ago. *sigh*

Anyway...this fall I'm taking:

What Jane Austen Read: The 18th-Century Novel
Writing the “Other” in Modern Japanese Literature
Logic 100: Valid and Invalid Reasoning (for a math credit, which isn't required at my school, but I figure it can't hurt to have one)
Self-Defense I (I'm on the waitlist for this one, so I may or may not get in.)
and my personal favorite, Japanese II. I love Japanese and I have the same super-awesome professor I had last year. I'm so excited! [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking two accounting classes
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking...

Schooling in American Culture
British Literature
Preparing to Act
Western Civ I
and Guitar Lessons

I start at 8:30 every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with three classes in a row. And my fourth on is Tuesday and Thursday at 11.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Schooling in American Culture sounds interesting; where do you go to school (I'm guessing it's not in the US)?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have four semesters of both ear training and written theory. Is it common for freshman theory classes to start at 8am? All of the people that I know that are going to be going to school for music this year have 8am theory. It seems like a horrible hazing ritual or something.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to take an American Culture class, and I live in metro detroit. Especially if it were taught by someone from another country I'd want to take it.

I don't know what I'm taking in the fall yet. My financial aid from the previous semester has yet to be paid out, and I can't register until it does. But I imagine it'll be something like:

History 314: Greco-Roman History
French 115: Intro to French Language 2
Biology 113 (Basic Biology, which I know uses the text book I used in my high school AP Bio class)
Philosophy 113: Intro to Logic (my math credit)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Victimology
Juvenile Delinquency
Physics
Public Policy
Current Issues in Social Work
Internship with the ATF

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I am taking:

Reseach and Methods-Psychology (I need this to get into a behavior class that I want)
Microbiology
Genetics
Animal Physiology Lab
Honors Humanities

Hopefully it will be fun.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Teshi, GREAT schedule!

Good Luck!

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
uhh that was on the first page, sorry... irrelevant, move on...
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I go to school in Kentucky. Schooling in American Culture focuses on the history of the development of American schooling and examines the various educational philospphies that have informed schooling practices in the past and present. We will also discuss issues related to schooling in a complex and culturally diverse society. I will also have to do 9 hours of obsevation, 3 hours each at the primary, middle, and secondary levels.

From what I've heard from upperclassmen, it sounds like a great class. I'm excited.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
What year is this for you, RackhamsRazor? My daughter hopes to be a veterinary student too (she's a senior in high school) so I might follow with interest what you are taking. Which university?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl,

Sorry, RackhamsRazor signed off, and since it's the summer there is no way to tell when she might bother to check the internet again [Smile]

As her boyfriend though, I can answer your questions. She attends West Virginia University and this is her third year. I'm sure she will forgive me for answering a question directed at her.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see here...

Politics and Media in Government (w/ Steve Roberts, former Washington bureau chief for the New York Times...so excited)
Political Geography
International Economics: Theory, Policy, and Internationl Trade
U.S. Diplomatic History
The U.S. and the Wars in Indochina, 1945-1975

Big major requirement semester, but it should be interesting (I'm an international affairs major)

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t-lee
Member # 1326

We have 4 semesters of Calc. Three credits each. I just gave my final today. It was rough 15 true or false questions. I'm always happy to collect evil math problems so if you've got some good questions I can use next semester, let me know.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, true/false questions are a tough final? I wish I got finals like that . . . though now that I've handily completed my math minor (I was a math major for two years) I likely won't take any further math courses other than Game Theory.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember some particularly tough true/false questions from my thermo course. The worst are multiple choice though. Nothing prepares you for 100-300 (midterm or final) questions where you have:

a) Clearly correct
b) partially correct
c) partiall correct
d) a + b
e) a + c

Which is the most correct? People who laugh at multiple guess questions for being easy have never taken a real one. I loved my last year though, all my exams were "Researchers are studying 'x'. Here is a slew of their data. Using what you learned in the course explain all of it." That's really how exams should be, none of those rote memorization nonsense.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't the slightest clue as to what I'm going to be taking this year. I'll find out in two weeks.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.