FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Listening to great music again for the first time

Author Topic: Listening to great music again for the first time
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just discovered and have gotten into some GREAT music of late that most of the older folks on Hatrack will probably say "duh!" to. But I just wanted to share anyway. :-)

My parents raised me on The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Zombies, etc.. and because of this I like to think that I appreciate great music when I hear it. (that and I’ve played guitar in various bands through High School and College) I've always loved the classics but have my own tastes have led me more into the "indie rock" area. Some of this music, lately, just isn’t doing anything for me…so I’ve looked into the rock past and found some real gems.

The bands I speak of? The great prog rock of the past namely Yes and ELO (yes, that’s right Electric Lights Orchestra). But also the most incredible folk music ever made which is by Nick Drake.

Just thought I’d share in my current musical contentment.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Modern bands are mostly blobs of cattle-manure. Well, their music sounds like cattle-manure smells. I don't know Yes and ELO (kill me, I'm 15), but what I feel is that except for a few good songs that were made lately, the mainstream today is horrible.

Hip-hop is not even a style, and the [c]rap/trance style of loud thumping through cars' radios ("STFU!") is basically the sedement of the music-river. The sad thing is that those with the worst taste of music play it at volumes that should be earning them trial.

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin knew what music means when they made it; people today dont. Any serious composer listens to a lot of 18th and 19th century stuff, and then moves on to 20th century musicals, rock, pop and ethnic (Celtic, Middle-Eastern, Latin/Caribbean, et cetera) before writing music.

So when the Beatles wrote "It's All Too Much" they copied a whole line from Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary, fine - but at least they knew that music and they fit it in to the song's tune! Today there's little - if anything - of the kind.

But at least you returned to good ol' stuff. I praise you.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be completely unable to stand hip-hop. The stuff in the stores and on the radio -- ugh. But having been to a couple of indy hip-hop concerts in person. . .there is good stuff in the genre. Still not quite to my taste, and I'm not going to be listening to it at home, but there's people pouring a ton of energy and passion into it, people with a good sense of wordplay and showmanship. Pity they're not the ones who get the record deals.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick Drake is cool. There is also Tim Buckley to consider, father of Jeff Buckley. The problem with both Nick Drake and Tim Buckley is overproduction.
For some reason their corporations seemed to like putting unnessasary things like ooo ooo ooo girls and orchestration on musicians that could just get by with one guitar.

As for modern good stuff I like-
Aimee Mann. I got to hear her play Save Me which is one of my favourite songs ever.
There's also Dir en grey to consider, a very intense Japanese band I keep trying to get everyone into but it's a challenge as their intense lyrics are in Japanese and most people don't want to listen to music in Japanese. But it just doesn't get any better than them. They have the energy. They evolve, they grow, they delve into all sorts of different styles of rock and roll.
I love them so much.
Then you have Zero 7. A nice trippy group with 3 guest vocalists and warm sounds. I recommend Home by them.
Then there is also Laura Nyro. She inflused a lot of people such as Joni Mitchell. Barbara Streisand's version of Stoney End is terrible, but Laura Nyro's original version is sparkly, upbeat and well arranged.
And there are so many other things I love.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I (re)discovered ELO a little while back. My dad had the record when he was younger, and he listened to "Jungle" so much that you could see the ridge in the record where that song was. It's so great. Great music to play very loudly. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

I'll have to check out Tim Buckley because I love Jeff's stuff.

I also have to share that I'm going this week to see two of my ALL time fav artists perform together. That is Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright.

I honestly think that Ben Folds is "The Beatles" of my generation but too many people are listening to top 40 crap to notice him. He is hands down my favorite song writer in the past 10 years.

Rufus is also incredible and has this grand broadway feel to him with a very unique voice.

My dream has been to see them both live and I get to now kill two stones with one bird..er. yeah :-)

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

Synesthesia, I also love Aimee Mann and Zero 7..and The Shins and Rilo Kiley. Two bands that I think will save rock...from what I'm not sure. But they will save it alright
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Rufus Wainwright is awesome. Except when he does that Generic Rap Beat I hate so much. Even Aimee Mann does it. It should be against the law. But I love when his songs sound grand and circus like. His voice is so nice and deep and has a lovely texture about it.

RynoW1, That is how I feel about Dir en grey. That they are such a sweet addition to rock.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

I'm checking out Dir en grey right now. :-)
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Ok.
I recomend-
Dead Tree
Merciless Cult
and a few other songs.
Probably all of them, but some of the lyrics can get a bit...
But they are in Japanese, so it doesn't matter, they rock.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.