FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Broadway fans!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Broadway fans!!
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone a huge broadway fan??

I just recently went to NY and saw a couple shows.

Wicked, which I have been dying to see, and yes I cried when the curtains opened. (I know Im a huge dork...but when you finally see something that you have been singing the songs from for years that just might happen.)I would have loved to see it with the original cast, but it was amazing anyway!

I also saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrols (sp?) with John Lithgow and it was hilarious...a must see if you are in NY!

Has anyone seen The spelling Bee? I heard it is supposed to be great. I also wanted to see "Little Women" but it closed the night before I arrived to NY. I guess it didnt do too well, but I heard that Sudden Foster was wonderful.

There are so many shows I want to see, only if I lived in NY...One day!!!

Has anyone seen any other great shows recently??

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I just checked and some of the songs from Wicked sung by the original cast are on Musicmatch. This is great. *starts to listen*
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

The Music is great...When I first heard they were going to make a Broadway show from the Book I thought it was going to be a dark show...but it isnt, I really love it!!
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally am... I have about 30 broadway CDs, as well as several DVDs of the film versions of various shows.

I saw the trailer for Rent the other day, and I cried, ok? The trailer!

I adore broadway. One day, I tell you! One day I will be on one of those stages. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

Rent looks amazing...I love how they making broadway shows into movies...its great. It introduces the world of broadway to so many who would not normally enjoy it.

Raia...me too!! I am a broadway baby at heart...even if I never get there.

(Actually I danced on broadway, On Herald square in the Macy's day parade, that will probably be the closest I will get to being ON BROADWAY! But you never know!!)

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a few, and JenniK has seen even more than me. She actually auditioned for Les Mis, I believe.

I love Broadway shows, and hope to see a few more before we move to FL.

Phantom of the Opera is my favorite music...although I love Music Man, and Oaklahoma, and...

you get the idea...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Pacific Overtures when I was in NYC back in January. . .fantastic, underappreciated Sonheim show. I wish it got performed more often. (Actually, it was done locally a few months ago and I didn't manage to go see it, so I guess I've given up my right to wish that.)

Possibly I just love it because I minored in Japanese history, with a focus on that particular period, but I dragged my then-boyfriend, who'd never been to any sort of theatre, ever, with me, and he seemed to really like it. So it can't be as unaccessible as some people claim.

Still need to pick up a copy of the CD, once I decide whether I want the revival or the original cast version. Ragtime and Into the Woods are two of my current favorite CDs. . .though unfortunately they don't get listened to much, since they're a bit soft and wordy to make good exercise music. But when I have the time to lean back in my chair at home, close my eyes, and just listen to music for a while. . .oh, yeah.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Wicked, not with the origional cast, but it was AMAZING. There's so much there that just the music can't convey, and its really different from the book, which I liked, because then I didn't know what to expect.

I also saw Movin' Out, which I didn't like so much, and Avenue Q which was AWESOME. Often really offensive, but more often hilarious and really well done.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hey Kwea, could I maybe talk to JenniK? I'd be really interested to talk to her via e-mail or something, because she seems like a type of role model for me. [Smile] She does singing work for films, right? And she auditioned for Les Mis on broadway, you said? I tried e-mailing her once, but I got no reply... if she'd be willing to talk to me about it, my e-mail is in my profile. I'd really love that!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Wicked in May with a touring cast (not Menzel/Chenoweth) and absolutely loved it. There's now a permanent cast here in Chicago, headed up by Ana Gasteyer as Elphaba, and I'd love to go back with the kids.

I'm trying to get tickets for Lion King. The run ends September 4, and I'm fighting with the Ticketmaster website. I should probably just go to the box office since it's so close to my office.

I decided against the season pass tickets for the next Broadway in Chicago series. The only show in the series that I definitely want to see is Joseph, the other three that are currently announced have triggered absolutely no interest, and the original 5th show (Woman in White, adapted by Andrew Lloyd Webber from the Wilkie Collins novel) is now cancelled with no replacement announced. However, the off-package shows include Cats and Chicago, so I'll get tickets for those two plus Joseph.

And Spamalot is coming back in Spring 2006!!!!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually getting my MFA in theatre (dramaturgy, to be precise), and I just moved to NY for grad school last year. And even though I *LOVE* musicals, especially the fluffy ones, an unfortunate side effect of moving to NY from IL is that I now have no money to see shows! [Frown]

Despite this, I've recently seen Spamalot and Altar Boyz, which is actually off-Broadway and fantastic - it's about a Catholic boyband's rise to stardom, delicious satire. Oh, and I saw Phantom again in December - the current "Phantom", Hugh Panaro, is just phenomenal - he's seriously the best one I've ever seen, and I've seen the show 4 times in 3 cities.

The vast bulk of all the theatre I've seen was during my two semesters in London....which is a large part of the reason that I'm broke now. But hopefully I'll be able to take more advantage of my newfound proximity to Broadway soon. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

Goody
Hmm216
Member # 8403

Sorry bout that,

I was going say Lion King was amazing...the costumes and set were unbelievable...a great show for the whole family.

I have been dying to see spamalot but it is impossible to get tickets...Nell do you know is they do student rush or the raffle at spamalot?

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have absolutely no hope of ever getting to New York, so all my dreams of seeing "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" are fading into nothingness - except to tell you just how jealous I am right now [Smile]

I do, however, plan to get up to Vegas some time this fall to see "Avenue Q" (with Rick Lyon and John Tartaglia!).

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Raia, I am sure that the message got blocked by her Spam guard, I can't imagine her not wanting to talk to anyone...

Wait, that didn't sound right.... [Big Grin]

quote:
She does singing work for films, right?
Not at all....but she wished she did.... [Big Grin] She works at a call center for relay for the deaf, so that deaf people can use the phone...but she did audition for Les Mis, and she has sung in many different venues. She just recently performed for the state meeting of the Rainbow Girls , as a musical soloist....that was in front of about 900 people. [Big Grin] She also performs at weddings and other things.

She use to sing chamber vocals for a very good choir while in school, and her first major was musical theater. [Big Grin]

She is also auditioning for the Voices of Liberty at the American Pavilion at EPCOT in about 13 days...not that I am counting or anything... [Big Grin]

I will ask her to email you, although

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, when Spamalot was here in December and January, there were no raffles, but there may have been some student blocks set aside. IN fact, with the various touring shows in the Broadway in Chicago packages, there are no raffles. Also no day-of-show discounts. I've asked. [Frown] Some of the local production theaters (like the Goodman) do offer day-of-show discounts, but they're not getting the Broadway-level programs. Not to disparage the kind of shows put on at the Goodman, I've seen some really interesting stuff there.

Wicked (permanent cast) IS having daily raffles, for the chance to buy 1-2 seats in the first 3 rows at $25 per seat - if there are any seats left. And they do the raffle every day even if they're completely sold out, which from what I've been hearing it has been pretty consistently sold out since the permanent cast took over in late June. I know the touring company was fully sold out for six solid weeks, and I think that's a large part of why they decided to keep a permanent cast here.

Oh, and I soooooooooo want to see Altar Boyz! I've heard such wonderful things about that one!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Awesome, Kwea, thanks!! I was in Les Mis in my high school, though I was just young Cosette, but I performed that before about 900 people as well. [Smile] It was so much fun! I'd love to be a musical theatre major, but they don't offer that at my school, so I'm just going in as a vocal performance major. But I'd still love to talk to her. Thanks!
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Les Mis, Chicago, and Lion King, all of which I thought were great. I would love to see Wicked because I read the book and thought it was quite enjoyable. The music for that show is fun too.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
ambyr, Pacific Overtures is a fanTAStic show! I've been seeing the soundtrack for it in different places, did they revive it?

I'm a broadway baby, but it's difficult to show my love for other shows...because Stephen Sondheim owns my soul. [Smile] We even have the same birthday. Pretty lady with the flower...just remembering you've had an 'and' when you're back to 'or' makes the 'or mean more than it did before...I am in the dark beside you buried sweetly in your yellow hair...the happiest mistake the ache of my life, you must meet my wife...somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care....

Ah. Good stuff. Actually, my very favorite show of all time isn't a Sondheim show (he just has my love and devotion.) My favorite show is The Secret Garden. The original cast recording was the first CD I ever owned, and I actually got to be in the show in college.

I'd love to see Wicked though. Stephen Schwartz is one of the best musical composers of our day...Godspell is fantastic and all the other work that he's done definitely has his mark of good lyrics and catchy, soaring melodies.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like a good place to plug my friend's musical (about to run in New York): Byzantium.

I was present for some of the work done on it and have heard the student demo recording--good stuff. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I lived anywhere near New York.

Edit: found a more comprehensive website.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

quote:
ambyr, Pacific Overtures is a fanTAStic show! I've been seeing the soundtrack for it in different places, did they revive it?
Yes! Roundabout Theatre Company did a November 12, 2004 through January 30, 2005 revival at Studio 54. All Asian-American cast, with a Japanese director. It's a pity it's not a popular enough show to have run for longer :-(. The revival used a much smaller orchestra and cast than the original version, so the soundtrack is a bit sparser (is that the word? I'm awful with actual music terminology; I like musicals for the lyrics), which seems to bug some people, but I really enjoyed it. I think there might be one song that wasn't in the original, and I know they updated the lyrics for the closing number.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Was it an all male Japanese cast? That's how they did it before I believe (in the pattern of old Japanese theater). I can't imagine that it's very easy to do that, but I think that's how Sondheim intended for it to be performed.

I'm sad I missed it, I'll have to pick up the soundtrack next time I see it. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Nell, what school offers an MFA in dramaturgy? *is curious*
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
RENT is my favorite. (Anyone else catch the movie cast on the Today show yesterday?) I've seen way too many other shows to mention them all, but Aida was a definite highlight for me.

I'm hoping to see Wicked when it comes to Denver next month, but we're going to be pretty poor on account of a new baby, so I don't know if we'll be able to pull it off.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Was it an all male Japanese cast? That's how they did it before I believe (in the pattern of old Japanese theater). I can't imagine that it's very easy to do that, but I think that's how Sondheim intended for it to be performed.

I'm sad I missed it, I'll have to pick up the soundtrack next time I see it. [Smile]

Easy to answer, since I have a copy of the book :-). The initial production in 1976 used a mixed male/female cast, all of whom (at least judging by their last names) were Asian-American. The 1984 revival used a mixed male/female cast, many if not most of whom were Caucasian (again judging by names, and also by some pictures I've seen). The 2004 version used a mixed male/female cast, all of whom were Asian-American.

Sondheim did specify that certain of the female roles should be played by men, and they have been in all the Broadway productions, but there have always been women as extras and some of the lesser roles.

. . .okay, a little off topic for the thread, maybe. Sorry!

Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh, cool! That makes sense. [Smile]
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hmm216:
I have been dying to see spamalot but it is impossible to get tickets...Nell do you know is they do student rush or the raffle at spamalot?

I'm not really sure, as I bought my tickets off a friend who had to switch dates. I highly doubt they do student rush, but they might do a raffle. With its popularity, though, they can get away with not doing either...alas, I fear they're only in it for the money (the show's producers, that is). Still, it's definitely a good time.

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
Nell, what school offers an MFA in dramaturgy? *is curious*

SUNY-Stony Brook...it's out on Long Island, but close enough to the city that they make us go to class there sometimes. [Smile] There's only like 10 schools in the country (if that) who offer dramaturgy as an MFA, so yeah, it's pretty unique.

I saw a Pacific Overtures production in Chicago a few years ago with an all-male cast, and it was fabulous! It was at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre, done in the round in their smaller theatre upstairs. I really wanted to see the one in NYC last year, but there was that whole money thing. [Frown] Especially with the all Asian cast - I'm half Filipino, so I always get warm fuzzies when other Asians are doing well in business. [Big Grin]

I'm hoping to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels before the cast changes because I love Sherie Rene Scott (and John Lithgow). Wicked I'm saving for a splurge when I have the money to get floor seats. Since the cast has already changed on that one, I'm not too upset by the wait...at the rate its sales are going, it'll still be running five years from now, at least!

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time Cor and I were in New York, we saw a couple of shows. One night we went in the Wicked lottery but did not win it. So then we got in the Spelling Bee lottery next door. However, the woman behind the counter, and while trying to do a favor for the family in front of us, screwed up our tickets, and ended up making them separated tickets on opposite sides of the theatre. I didn't want to see a show this way--in hindsight, we probably could have gotten the family that caused this whole mess to fix it--so we told her to stuff the tickets and left in a huff. So we went and spent a hundred bucks each to see The Producers. What an overrated piece of crap. Oh, did I mention we were and are broke? Anyway, I can't believe that show won ten or eleven Tony's.

The next night we tried the Wicked lottery again, and finally our luck changed! We won, and the tickets we ended up with were the center two seats in the first row. (I counted seats to be sure.) The show was awesome! I can't believe Avenue Q beat it our for the Best Musical Tony.

After the show we bought the soundtrack, and I have to say that the cast we saw, with Shoshana Bean (?) and Ben Vereen, was better than the original cast.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Icky, really? JenniK saw the original cast of the Producers adn she loved it. One of her all time favorites, really.
LordKaosnix
Member # 8458

- posted      Profile for LordKaosnix           Edit/Delete Post 
Live performances aye...

So far ive seen:
*Hamlet (non traditional college version)
*A Western Christmas Carol (Highschool Theater)
*Ever After (Highschool Theater)
*Sweeney Todd (Amatuer Theater)
*Animal Farm (Amatuer Theater)

I liked Sweeny Todd so much I bought a DVD of the broadway version. [Evil]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

Goo Boy,
I agree that wicked was a fantastic show but I dont think I agree that this most recent cast is better then the original...Kristen Chenowith and Idena Menzel are both extremely talented!!!

I LOVE IDENA MENZEL!!! I am so excited that she is going to play Maureen in RENT the movie!!!

Raia
Member # 4700

She is!?
Hmm216
Member # 8403

Yeah, that is why she left Wicked. I would have loved to see her in Wicked but I think she is going to do an amazing job with the movie!! Maybe she will win a movie award to go along with her Tony!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
SUNY-Stony Brook...it's out on Long Island, but close enough to the city that they make us go to class there sometimes. There's only like 10 schools in the country (if that) who offer dramaturgy as an MFA, so yeah, it's pretty unique.

I know -- BYU has an undergrad program, and so does Yale, but I'm not sure about post-graduate. It's really cool and interesting, but really obscure. I'm hoping to take a Dramaturgy class next winter.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yay!
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Wicked last night and totally loved it! I think we are going to try to get tickets again in the fall and take the kids! I was blown away. I hadn't read the book, only listened to the soundtrack but couldn't figure out why Elphaba went "bad" and oh it was just so fantastic.

I've also seen the Producers, 42nd Street (awesome dancing), Peter Pan with Kathy Rigby, Les Mis, Phantom, Joseph. All were good but my favs were Wicked, Joseph, Les Mis, and Phantom.

I really would love to see Cats and Lion King now. I might have to plan a trip to NYC though to hit some of those.

Since this is an older thread, what else has everyone been seeing and enjoying?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Still trying to coordinate schedules with my brother to go to Spamalot (this is supposed to be his birthday gift so it would be kind of unfair to go alone... LOL).

Mom and I are talking about getting season tickets for 2006-2007 so we can see The Pirate Queen (pre-Broadway tryouts), Twelve Angry Men (with George Wendt!) and possibly The Color Purple. These are all season pass performances, i don't remember what the other two in the package are. And I don't think she wants to go with me, but I also want to see Altar Boyz and Mamma Mia, which aren't part of the season package.

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Spamalot two or three weeks ago in Chicago. It was incredible and quite faithful to the original.

I'm actually wearing my Spamalot t-shirt right now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Aiua, I did too! Crazy! Maybe we were there at the same time!!

I saw Wicked on the same weekend. AH-mazing.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Spamalot about? I just dabble in Broadway (if you couldn't tell) but I love it.

Goody, of all those shows you mentioned, I'd only heard of the Color Purple and that's because it was a movie.

Is there a website (besides each individual website) or something that I could go to read a synopsis of different shows that anyone knows of? I just have no idea but would love to get a clue and see more.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, Broadway! I love musicals, especially old Fred and Ginger movies. They all have the same plot, but the dresses she wears and the music are just to die for.

The shows I have seen include: Phantom, Cats, Chicago with Joel Gray as Amos/Mr.Cellophane, 42nd Street, Cabaret (at my college), and West Side Story (in H.S.) Plus a lot more at the Marriott Lincolnshire.

Shows I played keyboard for include: Guys and Dolls in high school, Celebration, Pippin (those are both Gallery37 shows, if you're in Chicago, you know what I'm talking about or should know) and my all time favorite The Who's Tommy in high school. We even recorded an album! <grins goofily>

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Spamalot follows the story of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It was written by Eric Idle around the movie, sweetbaboo. [Smile]
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen any shows on Broadway, but I've seen off-Broadway productions of Fame and Miss Saigon.

I'd love to see a show, though. I'm currently listening to The Last Five Years, Avenue Q, Songs for a New World, and Wicked. My friend is trying to get me into Gypsy too.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I love, love, love live theatre, especially musical theatre. The Birmingham Broadway Series actually brings some good shows to town. Through that series I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats, and Aida.

I've never been to New York, so never seen anything actually on Broadway, but I'd love to one day.

One year the company I worked for took the top sales reps to London, where they saw Phantom of the Opera. I was sooo jealous.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Oh! I've seen(and loved)Aida too!! In the summer, Kansas City has a great outdoor Starlight Theater. We were able to see so many great shows when we lived there. It was very inexpensive (the "cheapest" seats were $7 at the time). It was fantastic.

Thanks Raia for the Spamalot explanation. It's been too long since I've seen Monty Python anything, but then from what I remember, Spamalot must be hilarious.

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got Lindsay and I tix to Wicked for tomorrow night. Good Times.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Have fun Ben. I hope you love it as much as I did!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

After two years, I'm still insanely jealous of anyone who sees Wicked without me.

I just got an email with the nominations for this year's Tonys:

Nominations for the 2006 Tony Awards®

Best Play

The History Boys
Author: Alan Bennett
Producers: Boyett Ostar Productions, Roger Berlind, Debra Black, Eric Falkenstein, Roy Furman, Jam Theatricals, Stephanie P. McClelland, Judith Resnick, Scott Rudin, Jon Avnet/Ralph Guild, Dede Harris/Mort Swinsky, The National Theatre of Great Britain

The Lieutenant of Inishmore
Author: Martin McDonagh
Producers: Randall L. Wreghitt, Dede Harris, Atlantic Theater Company, David Lehrer, Harriet Newman Leve & Ron Nicynski, Zavelson Meyrelles Greiner Group, Mort Swinsky & Redfern Goldman Productions, Ruth Hendel

Rabbit Hole
Author: David Lindsay-Abaire
Producers: Manhattan Theatre Club, Lynne Meadow, Barry Grove

Shining City
Author: Conor McPherson
Producers: Manhattan Theatre Club, Lynne Meadow, Barry Grove, Scott Rudin, Roger Berlind, Debra Black

Best Musical

The Color Purple
Producers: Oprah Winfrey, Scott Sanders, Roy Furman, Quincy Jones, Creative Battery, Anna Fantaci & Cheryl Lachowicz, Independent Presenters Network, David Lowy, Stephanie P. McClelland, Gary Winnick, Jan Kallish, Nederlander Presentations, Inc., Bob & Harvey Weinstein, Andrew Asnes & Adam Zotovich, Todd Johnson

The Drowsy Chaperone
Producers: Kevin McCollum, Roy Miller, Boyett Ostar Productions, Stephanie P. McClelland, Barbara Freitag, Jill Furman

Jersey Boys
Producers: Dodger Theatricals, Joseph J. Grano, Pelican Group, Tamara and Kevin Kinsella, Latitude Link, Rick Steiner/Osher/Staton/Bell/Mayerson Group

The Wedding Singer
Producers: Margo Lion, New Line Cinema, The Araca Group, Roy Furman, Douglas L. Meyer/James D. Stern, Rick Steiner/The Staton Bell Osher Mayerson Group, Jam Theatricals, Jujamcyn Theaters, Jay Furman, Michael Gill, Dr. Lawrence Horowitz, Rhoda Mayerson, Marisa Sechrest, Gary Winnick, Dancap Productions, Inc., Élan V. McAllister/Allan S. Gordon/Adam Epstein

Best Book of a Musical

The Color Purple
Marsha Norman

The Drowsy Chaperone
Bob Martin and Don McKellar

Jersey Boys
Marshall Brickman & Rick Elice

The Wedding Singer
Chad Beguelin and Tim Herlihy
Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre

The Color Purple
Music & Lyrics: Brenda Russell, Allee Willis, Stephen Bray

The Drowsy Chaperone
Music & Lyrics: Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison

The Wedding Singer
Music: Matthew Sklar

Lyrics: Chad Beguelin

The Woman in White
Music: Andrew Lloyd Webber
Lyrics: David Zippel

Best Revival of a Play

Awake and Sing!
Producers: Lincoln Center Theater, André Bishop, Bernard Gersten

The Constant Wife
Producers: Roundabout Theatre Company, Todd Haimes, Ellen Richard, Julia C. Levy

Edward Albee's Seascape
Producers: Lincoln Center Theater, Andrýishop, Bernard Gersten

Faith Healer
Producers: Michael Colgan & Sonia Friedman Productions, The Shubert Organization, Robert Bartner, Roger Berlind, Scott Rudin, Spring Sirkin, Gate Theatre Dublin
Best Revival of a Musical

The Pajama Game
Producers: Roundabout Theatre Company, Todd Haimes, Harold Wolpert, Julia C. Levy, Jeffrey Richards, James Fuld, Jr., Scott Landis

Sweeney Todd
Producers: Tom Viertel, Steven Baruch, Marc Routh, Richard Frankel, Ambassador Theatre Goup, Adam Kenwright, Tulchin/Bartner/Bagert

The Threepenny Opera
Producers: Roundabout Theatre Company, Todd Haimes, Harold Wolpert, Julia C. Levy

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play
Ralph Fiennes, Faith Healer
Richard Griffiths, The History Boys
Željko Ivanek, The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial
Oliver Platt, Shining City
David Wilmot, The Lieutenant of Inishmore

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play
Kate Burton, The Constant Wife
Judy Kaye, Souvenir
Lisa Kron, Well
Cynthia Nixon, Rabbit Hole
Lynn Redgrave, The Constant Wife

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical
Michael Cerveris, Sweeney Todd
Harry Connick, Jr., The Pajama Game
Stephen Lynch, The Wedding Singer
Bob Martin, The Drowsy Chaperone
John Lloyd Young, Jersey Boys

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical
Sutton Foster, The Drowsy Chaperone
LaChanze, The Color Purple
Patti LuPone, Sweeney Todd
Kelli O'Hara, The Pajama Game
Chita Rivera, Chita Rivera: The Dancer's Life

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play
Samuel Barnett, The History Boys
Domhnall Gleeson, The Lieutenant of Inishmore
Ian McDiarmid, Faith Healer
Mark Ruffalo, Awake and Sing!
Pablo Schreiber, Awake and Sing!

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play
Tyne Daly, Rabbit Hole
Frances de la Tour, The History Boys
Jayne Houdyshell, Well
Alison Pill, The Lieutenant of Inishmore
Zoë Wanamaker, Awake and Sing!

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical
Danny Burstein, The Drowsy Chaperone
Jim Dale, The Threepenny Opera
Brandon Victor Dixon, The Color Purple
Manoel Felciano, Sweeney Todd
Christian Hoff, Jersey Boys

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical
Carolee Carmello, Lestat
Felicia P. Fields, The Color Purple
Megan Lawrence, The Pajama Game
Beth Leavel, The Drowsy Chaperone
Elisabeth Withers-Mendes, The Color Purple

Best Scenic Design of a Play
John Lee Beatty, Rabbit Hole
Bob Crowley, The History Boys
Santo Loquasto, Three Days of Rain
Michael Yeargan, Awake and Sing!

Best Scenic Design of a Musical
John Lee Beatty, The Color Purple
David Gallo, The Drowsy Chaperone
Derek McLane, The Pajama Game
Klara Zieglerova, Jersey Boys

Best Costume Design of a Play
Michael Krass, The Constant Wife
Santo Loquasto, A Touch of the Poet
Catherine Zuber, Awake and Sing!
Catherine Zuber, Edward Albee's Seascape

Best Costume Design of a Musical
Gregg Barnes, The Drowsy Chaperone
Susan Hilferty, Lestat
Martin Pakledinaz, The Pajama Game
Paul Tazewell, The Color Purple

Best Lighting Design of a Play
Christopher Akerlind, Awake and Sing!
Paul Gallo, Three Days of Rain
Mark Henderson, Faith Healer
Mark Henderson, The History Boys

Best Lighting Design of a Musical
Ken Billington and Brian Monahan, The Drowsy Chaperone
Howell Binkley, Jersey Boys
Natasha Katz, Tarzan
Brian MacDevitt, The Color Purple

Best Direction of a Play
Nicholas Hytner, The History Boys
Wilson Milam, The Lieutenant of Inishmore
Bartlett Sher, Awake and Sing!
Daniel Sullivan, Rabbit Hole

Best Direction of a Musical
John Doyle, Sweeney Todd
Kathleen Marshall, The Pajama Game
Des McAnuff, Jersey Boys
Casey Nicholaw, The Drowsy Chaperone

Best Choreography
Rob Ashford, The Wedding Singer
Donald Byrd, The Color Purple
Kathleen Marshall, The Pajama Game
Casey Nicholaw, The Drowsy Chaperone

Best Orchestrations
Larry Blank, The Drowsy Chaperone
Dick Lieb and Danny Troob, The Pajama Game
Steve Orich, Jersey Boys
Sarah Travis, Sweeney Todd
Special Tony Award
Sarah Jones for Bridge & Tunnel

Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre
Harold Prince

Regional Theatre Tony Award
Intiman Theatre, Seattle, WA

Total Nominations by Production
The Drowsy Chaperone - 13
The Color Purple - 11
The Pajama Game - 9
Awake and Sing! - 8
Jersey Boys - 8
The History Boys - 7
Sweeney Todd - 6
Rabbit Hole - 5
The Lieutenant of Inishmore - 5
The Wedding Singer - 5
The Constant Wife - 4
Faith Healer - 4
Edward Albeeýs Seascape - 2
Lestat - 2
Shining City - 2
Three Days of Rain - 2
The Threepenny Opera - 2
Well - 2
The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial - 1
Chita Rivera: The Dancerýs Life - 1
Souvenir - 1
Tarzan - 1
A Touch of the Poet - 1
The Woman in White - 1

---0---

Looks like the movie-->musical trend is still going strong. I didn't even know they were producing "The Color Purple" or "The Wedding Singer" as a broadway show. And I didn't realize "Tarzan" was already up.

Can't wait to see the Tony Awards and lengthen my already huge list of shows I must see one day.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in love with broadway, or just any musicals in general. I will like almost any musical you throw at me. I loved Wicked from the first moment it came out, and got into the show way before it became popular. My parents took me to see it on Broadway when Idina Menzel was still there, and it was amazing. I was blown away. I think I literally sat in the theater for another 30 min after the show was over, just because I didn't want it to end. Amazing.

I think my other favorite musical would have to be Into the Woods. The part of Jack's Mother was made for me, I have to say. Other favorites would include A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and RENT. But really, I'm a musical nut. It makes me happy just thinking about it.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
So Wicked was alot of fun to see. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.