FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The names of body parts are rude words (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The names of body parts are rude words
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been told by the Janitor that from now on you can no longer use the names of body parts on this forum. That includes a**s, l**s, f***, h***s, h***, c****, s****** and the many others. And you may certainly not say the word penis. Ever.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have to consider the gestalt.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You realize that Lenny Bruce was pardoned posthumously, right?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Who said anything about body parts? I deleted it so you wouldn't have to face the shame of having posted an absolutely pathetic and humorless dobie despite having two weeks to think of it.

There are times when words are appropriate, and there are times when they are not, and you being fully aware of the difference choose the inappropriate times. I'm asking you again to stop it.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Pops, while I wholeheartedly encourage the regular deletion of things jebus posts, I've got to ask whether you might consider extending this merciful "anti-shame" policy to the aggressive deletion of all pathetic and humorless dobies. I'd send money.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Oh the shame of it! I thank you for your kindness, oh merciful one!

quote:
There are times when words are appropriate, and there are times when they are not, and you being fully aware of the difference choose the inappropriate times. I'm asking you again to stop it.
Sooo, when is penis approriate and when is penis not appropriate?

Penis.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Is jebus off his rocker again?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I think someone mentioned Ireland recently. It seems to aggravate the situation.
katharina
Member # 827

I'm telling you, this ten-minute editing window is the greatest thing that ever happened to Hatrack. It allows my superego to catch up to my id.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So, when is jebus appropriate and when is jebus not appropriate?

jebus.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle*

m_p_h is funny. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In-thread dobie:

Topic: He smelled like jebus'.
linky

edit: This would be a dobie for the deleted thread.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
jebus -- come'on! What will the newbies think?

[Eek!]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, now that I see what thread you were trying to dobbie I can understand why Pop deleted your thread. Come on, are you seriously trying to tell me that you didn't think that was over the line?
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and by the way, it isn't the word that is rude it was the way in which the word was used that was rude. I regularly used the word penis in front of my fifth grade class, of course I was teaching a sex eduaction and abstinence course, so... you know, there is a time and place for all things.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Jebus is never appropriate.

He is sometimes funny, however, much as I hate to admit it.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

DH, you are part of the problem.
katharina
Member # 827

Jebus is occasionally funny. He's also occasionally the only one to say what I suspect others besides me are thinking. Like most iconoclasts, he's discomforting sometimes.

He's also ... off his rocker sometimes, which doesn't help.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*shakes head sadly*

No, I never thought it.

katharina
Member # 827

No, I never thought it at all.

I have thought other things that only Jebus said, though.

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DH, you are part of the problem.
I can assure you that whatever you may think, I'm not a part of Jebus (though I believe I do have some Irish ancestry on my mother's mother's side.)
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I, suprising even myself, didn't think of it either. I must be slipping.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit that I thought it many times; I chose not to post it (or even reference it obliquely).
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I saw it coming. I do agree it was inappropriate for this forum, though.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think of it until reading through all of this thread. So I guess this is causing people to think of it.

I lie not, there was a man named Semen in my customer database at work and also someone with the last name Lifshits. I believe they were Russian immigrants. [Frown]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It sailed right past me. And that's sayin' something.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It is appropriate to use on the forum, when the space key is properly applied, as in:

"The pen is out of ink."

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Or "the pen is mightier".
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Speak for yourself.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*hangs head*

I should have changed the title of my landmark. I'm sorry.

I'm actually re-thinking the thread, and considering either deleting it or asking for it not be archived.

*wince*

[ August 08, 2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Praise jebus. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Know what I think every time I see this thread title?

ELBOW!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yew weel elbow tew me! [Hail] -->ME
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Jebus!
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yew weel elbow tew me! [Hail] -->ME

you will bow to me??? just making sure I understand the code.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
(My last comment wasn't directed at Olivet.)
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Sid, I think you missed an "all" in that translation. elbow = all bow, the source of the rest of the accent.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

100 points to Eni for that spot-on translation!

Sid, I'm afraid that you are in the negative column, and won't be able to join us for Final Jeopardy.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet, really? Why? I can't think of many landmarks that I've been so thoroughly engrossed by; I think it would be a shame to delete or fail to archive it, although of course that's your right as its author.

And don't worry about the title either--the fact that there's on obvious and risque dobie to be made of it...well, who cares? It's an intriguing title.

As for the dobie, I'm almost glad jebus finally stepped into action; it's been like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

And as for jebus, I often snort in response to his posts. He's off the mark occasionally, but he's on the mark often enough that I'd be sad to see him stop.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of it, and made an oblique reference in the thread (hoping to forstall it). Which makes the dobie I never saw unoriginal as well.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
So are family-inspired code names for various body parts acceptable? Words like dinkle and/or winkle, ta-tas, dokies and jumblies, or Everyone's Secret Nicknames for Naughty Bits?

What about Everyone's Secret Nickname for No-So Naughty Bits like Mr. Elbow, Professor Nape or Betty Thighbone?

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet, I'm with Noemon on this one. I really like your landmark and it would be a shame to delete it because of this.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*runs into thread and yells*

EYEBROWS!!! [Taunt]

*runs back out*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
In 19th century novels, they usually say "limbs" instead of "legs" which was considered to be language too racy to be appropriate for ladies to use or read. I love it that they're so delicate about things like that.

I also love when people would say "Go to the D___l" and they would blank the word out like that. What strong language! My delicate mind and spirit are much relieved and grateful not to be exposed to such!

[Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Oh and by the way, it isn't the word that is rude it was the way in which the word was used that was rude. I regularly used the word penis in front of my fifth grade class, of course I was teaching a sex eduaction and abstinence course, so... you know, there is a time and place for all things.
Is it only appropriate to use the word "arm" in biology classes?

quote:
Which makes the dobie I never saw unoriginal as well.
Yo Goo Boy, I think you missed the point if you were hoping for an original dobie.

Now, don't stop discussing my sanity and humour (or total lack there of). It's very interesting.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

To you.
jebus202
Member # 2524

No, to you too.

Weirdo.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

I think you missed the point if you were hoping for an original dobie.

Yeah. I figured the point was to offend people to the extent that someone called in the mods.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised if the mod(s) caught it without having to be whistled.

I'll admit I thought of that dobie, too, but that is because the word in Portuguese is pronounced exactly like "pennies". This led to a somewhat unfortunate (yet also hilarious) incident on my mission during a lesson with some non-members who my companion and I were teaching about the church. Maybe I'll start a thread about funny mis-translation incidents sometime. [Wink]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.