FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The names of body parts are rude words (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The names of body parts are rude words
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I made the same mistake on my mission, Karl. My companion was horrified.

BTW, Karl, how do you say "the day of payment" in English?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah. I figured the point was to offend people to the extent that someone called in the mods.
Not really, but it wasn't exactly unforeseeable.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a happy side-effect, eh?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH - "Payday" (yuk yuk) [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
My companion was horrified.
Unfortunately, I was still only 5 months into the mission and my companion was a brand new American. We neither of us knew what the commotion was about until we'd said the word 4 or 5 times. Once one of the teenage kids told us it was hard to act appropriately horrified while laughing.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
MPH - "Payday" (yuk yuk) [Wink]

*horrified*
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised nobody has thrown a "dingle" into this thread yet.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Jebus!
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I did mention dinkle, winkle, dokie, jumblies and ta-tas, but to no avail.

I figure we as a society prefer nicknames over medical terms, so I'm going to blink my googles and bare my choppers and sit comfortably down on my fluffy...preferrably on a sofa.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

BTW, with bad translations:

My best moment was asking if a lady was "full" after dinner in French when I instead asked if she was "pregnant." When she said no (smiling at my mistake) and that she wasn't feeling well, I humbly asked her, "So are you feeling horny?"

Needless to say I wasn't invited back, and I've never made those mistakes again. Trial by fire...

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother visited England, and found out that after a large dinner, you shouldn't declare that you are "stuffed". It means something different over there.

Also, don't refer to your waist-pack as a "fanny-pack" if you don't want to be on the receiving end of a lot of titters.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
"Pops, while I wholeheartedly encourage the regular deletion of things jebus posts"

I have no clue why that made me lol so hard, but it did.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
I'll admit I thought of that dobie, too, but that is because the word in Portuguese is pronounced exactly like "pennies". This led to a somewhat unfortunate (yet also hilarious) incident on my mission during a lesson with some non-members who my companion and I were teaching about the church. Maybe I'll start a thread about funny mis-translation incidents sometime. [Wink]

I had a polynesian companion on my mission named Elder Panisi. I never thought anything of it until I introduced him to my Albanian wife at a mission reunion and saw her face go beet-red and her tongue get tied in a square knot. Yes, that's exactly what it means in Albanian.

It's lucky he wasn't sent to that mission.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good messed up translation story and it makes me seem cool, too.

I was at this club (damn them) in France a couple of years ago. I drunkenly asked this girl in french if I could kiss her, or so I thought. I later found out that I really asked if I could **** her. I got laughed at then kissed.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I was warned about that in French 101.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I just realized that even though I have studied French for 8 years, I don't know anything about that kind of mistranslation. I have no idea what was said and what should have been said in either of those stories. Huh. [Dont Know] Just goes to show, schoolbook French can only go so far.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The worst mission language gaffe I've ever heard of is how Mary spent most of her mission teaching that we believe that God has a body of "flesh and boner" in Tagalog.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh my goodness gracious!
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. The difference in the two words (bone and boner) is really subtle. It is all about whether you end the last vowel with a glottal stop.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

In French, it was simply asking if you "feel" hot versus "being" hot, and hence the problem. Same with "feeling" full and "being" full (with child).

Of course, I'm the same guy who tricked my companion into asking for a lozenge with the directly translated "Throat Support" which, in reality, means a bra.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Odd. Mine does nothing to support my throat.
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
In German, literally saying "I am good" has strong under-the-sheets insinuation, or so I've always been warned throughout high school and college.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Those wacky Germans!
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
Those wacky Germans and their World Wars! Then again, now they're all hippies... but that doesn't change anything.

Is it strange that on my dad's side, my grandfather was full French and my grandmother was full German, and they got married almost exactly between WWI and WWII?

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Those wacky Vid's parents!
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who has the name of Hardik.

For those of us who know him, we've gotten used to it. For everyone initially meeting him, much hilarity ensues.

Okay, we still have fun with it occasionally.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I remember a girl in my school with the last name of Castendick.

I'm now imagining somebody named Hardick Castendick.

SpiffWilkie
Member # 8464

- posted      Profile for SpiffWilkie   Email SpiffWilkie         Edit/Delete Post 
Is one more mission story allowed? One of my companions was named Elder Jardon (who was incidentally trained by one Elder Card, I believe [Wink] ) Anyhow, he would always introduce himself as Elder Jar-don (english sounding j) to English speakers. The reason for this was quite apparent after the mission president's wife decided to pronounce it with a spanish j in zone conference.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
Dickinson is the worst name
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Worse than Lipshitz?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at a hotel, we had one guy who checked in. On his credit card was his name. And I kid you not. Harry Dick.

It was hard keeping a straight face. [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I know a doctor named Harry Busch. And, no, he's not an OB-GYN.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a guy who comes into my pharmacy regularly named Mike Hawk. Imagine hearing "I have a prescription to pick up for Mike Hawk" and having to keep a straight face.

There's also a Vietnamese woman named Mai Ho. Her husband always gets her drugs. The phrase "I'm here to get a prescription for Mai Ho" isn't that much easier to deal with.

[ August 10, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Tee hee. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

There was a family in Brazil with the last name "****" who proudly displayed their marriage certificate on the wall. It freaked out all the Americans.

edit: Huh. The board filters out that name. That name is F-Dash-Dash-Dash

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - jebus. I think this is the longest any of you threads have ever lasted.....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Back when I was a CSA for Visa, I took a call from a guy named "Harry Quatch". I had to mute my phone several times during that conversation because I couldn't stop giggling. I don't know why that name sounds so dirty to me. [Blushing]

A sister missionary on my mission was bearing her testimony in church one day and mis-spoke "I'm thankful for the bishop" and said instead "I'm pregnant by the bishop". I've never seen a bishop interrupt a testimony before or since, but one sure did then. [Big Grin]

[ August 10, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

KarlEd
Member # 571

Oh, and I was at a trade show where this vendor's name tag said "Peter Handler". I thought it had to be a joke, but it was on his business card, too. If that were you, wouldn't you at least go by "Pete"?
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Or "the pen is mightier".

you're selling penis mightiers?

I'll take a dozen

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*offers discount jebus mightiers*
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
At an old job, I had a contact named Charlene Boob.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

When I was a CSA I used to keep a list of weird names I ran across.

Harry Quatch
Danson Miaskoff
Ruby Licker
Joao Viega Leitao Albuquerque Filho
Anna Butta
Ponce Wigler
Harry Bacon
Able Hooker
Alan Didlick
Oliver Feet
Franklin Beans
Morfila de Bustos
Imogene Washer

Those are just the ones I can still remember from that list. I should see if I still have it around somewhere.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to work with a urologist named Dr. Richard Dick.

Yes, his nickname was also Dick. [ROFL]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work with a Mike Klett.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Taint.

Is this a bad word yet? Seeing as it's fairly recent slang.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Depends on the context.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to look that up and that is very vulgar.

But kind of funny anyway. [Blushing]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with a woman named Amanda Rubright.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we agree that some parents deserve to be beaten for these names?
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.