FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Muppet Show: Season One DVD collection... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Muppet Show: Season One DVD collection...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Contents:
The first 24 episodes of "The Muppet Show"

"The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence" (a rarely seen ABC special the predated the Lord Grade series)

Jim Henson's original pitch reel to sell the series

Skits and songs previously seen only on the UK version of the show (and on Nickelodeon when it reran the series back in the 90s)

Brief comedy bits that acted as promo spots for upcoming shows

Season 1 of The Muppet Show was creatively a mixed bag. Except for Kermit and Rowlf, all of the characters were brand new...and many hadn't quite found the right "hook" yet.

For instance: Fozzie is an obnoxious, unlikable jerk for most of the early episodes. Miss Piggy is a background character with a wildly inconsistent voice. Gonzo is a one-joke cipher.

But...things improve. Things improve.

Likewise, the guest stars tend to be almost worshipfully adored in the earliest shows. They were so scared that they wouldn't even last one season that they were glad anyone appeared on this weird puppet show filmed out in the UK.

But glimmerings of the chaos to come are there. Oh yes.

Plus, it's just wonderful to see much-missed performers like Jim Henson and Richard Hunt at the height of their creative powers again.

Loved the set, and looking forward to Season 2...where the show truly came into its own.

[ August 11, 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And Netflix says they'll have it beginning tomorrow. We'll see how I like disk #1.

Hey, how do you have it already?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad I live in the same reality where the Muppet Show existed. Muppets just make my life better. The commercial for this DVD set had everyone in our family room laughing like crazy. Just the commercial! [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Magic, rivka. Magic.

(j/k)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic, eh? *narrows eyes*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

There are lots of great moments in this set, especially by the time the last half dozen episodes are reached.

Especially as the guest stars become game towards being made to do increasingly foolish things. [Big Grin]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! [Smile] [Smile]

Puffy -- which disc is the original pilot on? I've never seen that, and the Netflix description doesn't say which disc it's on...

Netflix has a disc that's got a bunch of Muppet skits from the Ed Sullivan show -- hoping to get that this week!

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
First season - isn't that where "Mahna Mahna" occured?

*excited*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I want Mahna Mahna for my ringtone!!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yes, it has a version of "Mahna Mahna" on the first episode.

The "original pilot" (really the second of two specials Henson made for ABC to help test the waters for a series) is on disc 4.

I won't kid you: It's very easy to see why this special didn't lead to the actual series.

With the exception of a musical sequence featuring birds with catch phrases there's not much of the imaginative production numbers the Lord Grade show was famous for.

And the main characters...urk. Nigel (he later was seen conducting the orchestra during the credits on The Muppet Show), Floyd, and Sam the American Eagle are the leads. They don't have much chemistry.

It makes me wish they had included The Muppet Valentine Show on this disc instead. It was funnier and more creative...even if its format was further removed from The Muppet Show.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Another good thing is this show was my introduction to lots of human performers that I might otherwise have missed.

Lena Horne, for instance. Such a great singer!

Narnia
Member # 1071

eeeheee!!! I just bought it tonight. [Smile] We've been laughing ourselves silly ever since. Our favorite so far is the Muppet choir that sang "Temptation" with Piggy on the solo.

[ROFL]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Resolved:

The Muppet Labs "Gorilla Detector" sketch is one of the funniest bits ever created in the history of television.

Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
Animal is great. He breaks things
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Who remembers The Swedish Chef?

Seen your been diyung g'dish g'dung
Yibor diyour dee dee yung
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I lufe-a zee Svedeesh Cheff! Bork Bork Bork!

Has anyone else seen the commercial for the Muppet Oz movie?

At first I thought it was Kermit behind bars, but they mean the other Oz.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I've seen "Muppet Wizard of Oz".

It has a couple of moments, but it's not very good.

For one thing Ashanti (the singer who plays Dorothy) can sing...but she can't act or do comedy to save her life.

Potentially cool ideas (like having Miss Piggy play all four Witches) are put forth...then barely get any screen time.

The not-so-great "Muppets Tonight" writers and characters were favored while the classic Muppets writers (like Jerry Juhl) are apparently still alienated by Brian Henson.

I swear, if I never see that blasted prawn again...

I'm not against new Muppets being added to the "Core Group"

(Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, and Gonzo)

I loved Digit and Bean Bunny (from the sadly short-lived Jim Henson Hour)

But why can't they be funny and endearing instead loud and painfully unfunny?

Why do they keep cramming Pepe' into every new Muppet production?

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I would definitely love to see the prawn go the way of the dodo, so to speak.

For what it's worth, I didn't enjoy Muppet Wizard of Oz, or Muppets in Space, for that matter; Muppet Treasure Island, however, ruled.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"Muppets in Space" v. "Muppet Treasure Island" was my first serious artistic disagreement with bunbun.

I don't see how a movie with the line, "Look, he's only got one leg. Count 'em: one!" could possibly be considered inferior to a bad x-files knock-off.

But I love her anyway. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Dag, I use the "Count 'em: one!" phrase all the time. For example, the other day, I had one student attend my class. Count 'em: one! [Big Grin]

I also love the scene where they're going through the trunk looking for the map, and they pull out Kissinger's Diplomacy; Gonzo looks at it, shakes his head, and tosses it over his shoulder.

Incidentally, Dag, my man doesn't like the Muppets at all. Talk about a disagreement overcome by love!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Incidentally, Dag, my man doesn't like the Muppets at all. Talk about a disagreement overcome by love!
Wow. And I thought our toothpaste disagreement was bad. [Eek!]

Dagonee

plaid
Member # 2393

Coincidentally, a friend just loaned me a neat book by Alison Inches called Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles: A Muppet Sketchbook -- Amazon link

It's a really fun book -- it's sketches by Henson from the 1950s up until the start of the Muppet Show. Most of it's Muppet-related, though some of it's not (stuff from Henson's schooldays). The sketches are fun, even without being Muppet-related -- Henson's doodles have a great goofy energy to them -- but since they ARE Muppet-related, they're even more fun. So there's designs of Kermit before he became a frog... Ralph the Dog back when he was a character in a commercial (lots of Muppet characters started out as characters in commercials, I never knew that)... Oscar the Grouch back when he was purple... lots of neat info about Muppet projects from the 50s and 60s and early 70s that I'd never heard of... anyway, yeah, neat book, I totally recommend it!

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"Rowlf". [Big Grin]

Oscar was originally toxic orange, but the purple "Frackle" was a precursor to both later puppets

Narnia
Member # 1071

I adore the episode with Rita Moreno. [Big Grin] "Fever!"
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

More nitpicks:

Whoever proofread the "Muppet Morsels" should either be fired or sent back to elementary school. Seriously.

An excuse is given that the rights to all of the songs used in the shows could not be secured, so several episodes are cut. This is most painfully felt in the Vincent Price episode, where the grand finale production number "You've Got a Friend" (featuring Price and a slew of Muppet monsters) is gone.

This sends up some warning flags.

1) Many of these cut songs were in the "Best Of" DVD release just a couple of years ago.

2) Disney couldn't get the rights to these? Disney? With their deep pockets and their lawyers?

3) Who would own the rights to these songs yet _not__ want the exposure of being on a DVD release of the one of the most popular TV series of all time?

This worries me.

Still, the majority of the set is golden.

plaid
Member # 2393

OK, clarifying the bit about Oscar the Grouch: Oscar was originally purple in the design stage -- the book has some sketches from 1969 that show him being purple.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Muppets just make my life better
awwww! Narnia makes my life better too! [Group Hug]

I had a feeling that Muppet Wizard of Oz wouldn't be very good, and I haven't seen MIS. Treasure Island was brilliant, and I think Muppet Christmas Carol is the best rendition of the Dickens Story to date.

I haven't seen too many of the original episodes (I was a bit young when they were around) but a friend and I are going to do Netflix pretty soon. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ashley, you've seen the first three movies right? The ones that were made when Jim Henson was alive? They are so choice. I enjoyed the later ones too, but they just didn't seem to have some of the funny...or maybe it's just me. I alsom miss Jim Henson's voice.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a well-worn VHS of The Great Muppet Caper when I was a kid. I think it desintigrated. [Frown] I've seen Muppets Take Manhattan (where they go to New York in a Stutebaker) but I might not have seen the other one...I should rectify that.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

It sounds like you've seen all three because you're getting them mixed up. The Stutebaker was in The Muppet Movie (where they painted it and were running from the frog legs guy?). Manhattan is when they try to get their show on Broadway. That's my favorite one. [Smile]

They've just released all three on DVD, so you don't have to mourn the loss of your VHS. [Smile]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Which one had Kermit losing his memory? That's the one I've seen. [Smile]

*adjusts amazon wish list*

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Muppets Take Manhattan is the one where Kermit loses his memory.

The Great Muppet Caper has Kermit as a reporter investigating a conspiracy to steal a valuable diamond in London.

The Muppet Movie is the story of how cast of The Muppet Show first met. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

And who can forget Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas? I loved that book as a kid, and the muppets' version was darn good.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Paul Williams songs in Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas remain some of his most beautiful.

o/` We're closer now than ever before... o/`

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I saw that on Nickelodeon once! They were on a muppet kick for a while. There was also a Christmas special with the Fraggles and the Sesame Street Crew in addition to the TMS crowd.

"Watch out for the icy patch!" [Smile]

edit: Oh! And Jim Henson did a how-we-do-it special like a year before he died--I remember watching that in utter facination.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Muppet Family Christmas

And yes...one of the two "lost" Jim Henson Hour episodes were broadcast on Nickelodeon.

Along with Muppets go to the Movies,The Miss Piggy Show, The Frog Prince, Muppet Musicians of Bremen, The Christmas Toy, The Tale of the Bunnies Picnic, and The Muppet Valentine Show.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Did you notice that we get mentioned in the episode with Peter Ustinov (can't spell his name)? They say the show was written by a Hatrack. [Big Grin]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I did notice that. I didn't post it right away though, because I was going to suprise the rest of the family by playing the dvd when they were over for dinner. (which I did yesterday. ElJay gasped.)

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Nice surprise! [Smile]

I'm almost through the whole set and I'm happy that most of my favorite sketches are in this season. I've gleefully squeeled when each of them has come on for the first time.

• Manah Manah - Of course
  • Lydia the Tattoo'd lady
  • Hugga Wugga - I think this is one of my very favorites
  • "Java" with the florescent vacuum hoses
  • "Fever" with Rita Moreno and Animal
  • The "Rent a Face" vending machine sketch [Big Grin]

Other Surprising and Fantastic bits:
  • Rowlf's "You and I and George" song
  • The Muppet Glee Club singing "Temptation"
  • The multi-duets with Ethel Merman
  • Harvy Korman's fierce animal trainer sketch
  • The Koosbanian mating ritual (Galleeeooooo! oooook ooooook!)

There are more...I'll think of them as they come.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

o/` You are my Sunshine...my only Sunshine! o/`

I also liked Gonzo's crush on Miss Piggy...and Miss Piggy's reaction.

Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
...The Frog Prince, Muppet Musicians of Bremen,...
We had both of those on video when I was a kid, and I LOVED them.
plaid
Member # 2393

The "Ed Sullivan: Muppets Magic" DVD has a reindeer skit in which one of the reindeer says he's going to go get a job as a Hatrack [Smile]

Wait... does that mean that Papa Moose is REALLY Papa Reindeer?? [Eek!] [Eek!]

plaid
Member # 2393

Random Muppet note: Muppet stamps are due to be released tomorrow (Sept 28th): link
[Smile] [Smile]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told by my post office that it'd be the 29th!

[Eek!]

I may have to run to the PO tomorrow just to be sure.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Emmett Otter remains the most underrated (in terms of pop culture prominence) Muppet special. So far, we are almost all the way through, and are enjoying it immensely. Random notes:

1) Waldorf and Statler are funnier than they are now
2) The episodes with lesser known guests tend to be better than the more famous guests, IMO
3) They cut scenes? That explains why some episodes felt a lot shorter. Darn.
4) The. Swedish. Chef. Rules.
5) I was always a Kermit fan (and a closet Scooter fan), but I think I like Fozzie a little more*
6) I liked these the first time around when I was 3-4-5, and I like them now that I'm almost 30. We need more of this type of stuff on TV!

* Starting with the middle episodes, once they get Fozzie's voice down, I mean

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Muppet stamps are definitely out, I picked up mine today.

Sad note: Muppets writer Jerry Juhl just died [Frown] -- link

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just too young, i've only seen a few muppet eppisodes and one movie, though I forget which, it's old.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
When I see this thread pop back onto the first page, I get excited because I think maybe season two is out. [Grumble]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
On the second disk. My favorite muppet is definitly Ralph. Too bad his character is rarely used these days.

"He fell into the river and floated out to sea."

Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

You will be missed, Mr. Juhl. [Frown]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.