FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Free Emails? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Free Emails?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Would anybody recommend to me a good, free email that works every time?

Thanks.

~ or better yet, explain to me why it could happen that I send an email from yahoo.com account and it never reaches its destination. Everything is spelled perfectly.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... gmail?

Are there "emails" that aren't free?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Gmail rocks.

FG

(send me your Yahoo address, Phanto, and I send you a Gmail invite)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I have both gmail and yahoo, and I still prefer yahoo.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
gmail rules all!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have both gmail and yahoo, and I still prefer gmail. [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I should mention some of the reasons why I prefer Yahoo. I use some of the features that Yahoo offers that gmail still doesn't have. These include MyYahoo, where I keep many of my bookmarks, MyPhoto, and MyBriefcase. If you are just looking for email and nothing else, this stuff probably doesn't matter to you. I also like having a customized MyYahoo homepage.

I also like that Yahoo has a virus scan option for downloads, which gmail still doesn't have. This isn't important to me, personally, cause I have a Mac, but it is important to my husband when I download something and then transfer it to one of the PC's we still have.

As far as I can tell, the main thing gmail has going for it is a humongous amount of storage space for old emails, and I don't really need that much storage.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
~ or better yet, explain to me why it could happen that I send an email from yahoo.com account and it never reaches its destination. Everything is spelled perfectly.
To try to answer your second question..

...is there any chance it is being blocked on the receiving end by a spam filter?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have gmail and yahoo, and I use both equally. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
With my Verizon DSL account came a Verizon email account. If I didn't hear about it in the news and from friends, I wouldn't even know what spam is. The only hitch I've ever come up against, is that for some reason, Hatrack couldn't send me emails to that account. Even when I dropped the spam filter. It took me the longest time to join up with Hatrack, because I couldn't receive my password. I finally had to have it sent to my email account at work.

Other than that one glitch, it has been lovely, just lovely.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Except that it also dropped the email from Publisher's Clearinghouse, and you missed your chance at Ten Million Dollars!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Whom can I sue?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Verizon, of course.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternately, you could open a Hotmail account. Then you'll get about 100 free emails every day. [Razz]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Free the emails! Free the emails!

<marches in a circle with a placard>

TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hotmail works pretty well for me, but im not big when it comest to E-mail
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a ton of gmail invites, if anybody wants on gmail.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bunch of gmail invites as well if anyone wants one. I really like gmail. Their spam filter is pretty good so far. I have quite a few things slip through on yahoo and all I ever get at hotmail is spam...
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I use AOL as my email address. I don't have any problems with it right now, except it's annoying to log onto now since I don't have AOL anymore and have to go to AOL.com to read it. What's the difference between Gmail and AOL? I don't get any spam...
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
GMail doesn't cost money and doesn't suck.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I don't have AOL anymore so I don't pay for it, I just log on to AOL.com if I want to check my email. What is better about Gmail? I don't get spam, so in what ways is Gmail better?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
the way gmail puts your messages into threads like this (sort of) is very nice.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

You mean other than elitest geek cred?

1 gig of storage space. I email myself funny movies that I want to be able to show friends or coworkers.
Good built-in search engine. You can archive old messages without truly deleting them, and the archive is still searchable.
Simple, uncluttered interface. I've never used AOL, but I recall Hotmail and Yahoo mail being cluttered with banner ads and other unneccessary graphics. Gmail only has google ads, like the ones at the bottom of the page here.

I don't find it OMG!AMAZING-levels of better than other mail systems, but I do really like it.

Edit: yeah, the thread thing is cool too. I've gotten so used to that I forgot to mention it.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

And you need an invite to get a Gmail address? Does anyone have any extras?
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has extras... they used to give you like 5, now everyone has 50, or maybe even more by now. I stopped looking at the number.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I sent you an invite Jaime. Like vid said, got 50 or so.

--Enigmatic

GaalD
Member # 6222

Thanks.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I could use one as well. although I already have 3 emails... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got extras, too, if anyone wants one.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You mean other than elitest geek cred?

1 gig of storage space. I email myself funny movies that I want to be able to show friends or coworkers.
Good built-in search engine. You can archive old messages without truly deleting them, and the archive is still searchable.
Simple, uncluttered interface. I've never used AOL, but I recall Hotmail and Yahoo mail being cluttered with banner ads and other unneccessary graphics. Gmail only has google ads, like the ones at the bottom of the page here.

I don't find it OMG!AMAZING-levels of better than other mail systems, but I do really like it.

Edit: yeah, the thread thing is cool too. I've gotten so used to that I forgot to mention it.

--Enigmatic

Um, gmail has WAY more than 1 gig of storage space. It's about 2.4 or 2.5 right now... and counting! Woohoo!
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Gmail and Yahoo.

I've experienced some down time with Gmail's server but have never experienced any down time with Yahoo.

[ August 10, 2005, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Gmail's thread system has made play-by-email D&D much, much easier.

You probably don't need the storage space. But I've used hotmail and yahoo, and I think gmail's interface is far better. All hail gmail!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
agreed, gmail's interface is now the one against which all others are to be judged. I don't get a whole lot of email, and most of what I do get is just quick notes and reminders, but it's so convenient to have all the messages in a given conversation grouped together the way they are... like so: http://www.cs.mun.ca/~peterh/gmail_example.png
Each of those messages can be clicked on to expand them without refreshing the page... AJAX just rules like that. (AJAX is the technology behind gmail).
Oh, and as you can see from the screenshot, I also have 50 invites for anybody who wants one.

Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know of one that is not detected as a web based email service by work firewalls?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Anything obscure enough.

Work firewalls don't detect them by any sort of heuristic, they use a list of the things.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Is there a limit on attachement size with gmail?

And does it work with email clients, or is it web only?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I know they rolled out POP to at least some gmail accounts, and I think its on all accounts now (and with the size, you just set it to not delete on server).

I'm not sure what the limit (there is one) on gmail attachments is, but its huge.

Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 50 Invites also if anyone wants one or more.

also can't you use your Gmail account as an extrea hard drive.

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe none of you have mentioned my very favorite feature of Gmail - the labels. I lovelovelove that I can attach multiple labels to any given e-mail instead of having to pick just one folder to drop it into!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Vana:

That's what I was about to say. By far my favorite feature.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
OOH OOH! Someone please invite me! GMail sounds awesome!
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I'm not sure what the limit (there is one) on gmail attachments is, but its huge.
So cron jobs backing up my web server's db would be feasible. [Smile]

I'd like an invite if anyone happens to have one. [Smile]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the attachment limit is 10 megs. I use it a lot to email music to my friends. It normally takes about 4 emails to send an entire CD.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I can't believe none of you have mentioned my very favorite feature of Gmail - the labels. I lovelovelove that I can attach multiple labels to any given e-mail instead of having to pick just one folder to drop it into!
If something is stored in a database, there's no need to use a "folder" metaphor unless you're trying to mimic something in the real world. Even then, it's not a storage metaphor but a categorization metaphor. And if the program is dealing with something without a real-world referent, then there's no need to drag storage location into it at all.

This used to annoy me when I'd revise other people's software - the whole mixing of the storage location metaphor with the categorization metaphor. I pretty much banned data designs that limited categorization to only one category.

</end rant from previous career>

fugu13
Member # 2859

Dagonee -- actually, there's a gmail FS that handles all of it for you.

edit: link to linux version: http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html

and to windows version: http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Alas, that looks like it far exceeds the permissions I have from my host - it's a shared server at a hosting company.

But when I set up my own server, I'm there. [Smile]

The backup component for my CMS can email backups, so I'll look into that. But they're running anout 30 mb now, so I'll have to break it into parts.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you that need gmail invites, send me an email (to the address in my profile) and I'll send you one this afternoon. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And if ludosti runs out, email me and I'll send one out. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
POP access is a huge deal, and is one of the reasons gmail is so much better than most free webmail (e.g. Hotmail), despite the fact that they're all starting to offer the same gratuitous amount of online storage space.

Windows users also get a taskbar notifier for new e-mails, although anyone using Thunderbird gets the same thing with all their POP e-mail.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.