FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rivka's Visit to NYC: September 11 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rivka's Visit to NYC: September 11
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
*Bump*

So, we're meeting next Sunday, Sept 11 in Manhattan?

Let's figure on some details -- Manhattan is a big place. Any good suggestions for the where and when?

And how will we know each other? I had an idea; since we are all Hatrackers, we can all wear hats.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good. I keep meaning to bump this. Thanks!

I, uh, still am not entirely sure where I will be coming from . . . I haven't reached my cousins in Monsey yet. Possibly, I'll be staying the whole trip with a friend from HS who lives in Brooklyn (and who I have spoken to). But I hope to reach other people tomorrow.

So maybe I'll know tomorrow night.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, your Shvester, Esther, is coming from New Jersey, sans Son of Shvester, who, it turns out, is away all weekend on a back-to-school getaway in the Poconos.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Probably the train to Penn Station, but it doesn't make a difference to me where we meet -- I can get anywhere.
rivka
Member # 4859

Plus then we can use the Penn Station worldgates.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

There is a (kind of expensive) kosher restaurant called Abigael's. It is a big space, white-tablecloth place. And although the menu is pricey, they have this thing called "Coffee Theater", which is coffee and desserts served in a showy, ostentatious, and supposedly entertaining fashion. This might be fun.
rivka
Member # 4859

I know about that place! Jeff Nathan used to (or maybe still does?) have a cooking show on PBS that I used to watch regularly. [Smile]

That does sound fun.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I was at Abigael's once, last year. We has a terrific meal, and had ordered the "Coffee Theater Experience". Waiters started bringing out carts and coffee and fiery equipment, when, suddenly and unexpectedly, alarms are sounding. From my husband's ventilator.

(My husband is almost completely paralysed in a Captain Pike kind of way, that a Trekkie and Stephen Hawking fan like myself finds very attractive. He has a ventilator hooked up to a spigot in his neck. You could mistake him for the Six Million Dollar Rabbi, who happens to have a budget-conscious HMO, so when they rebuilt him it wasn't actually with superhuman abilities.)

Well, breathing is very important to my husband, more important, I guess, than coffee or theater, or even dessert is to me, so we paid our check and bid Abigael's a hasty adieu. But I vowed on that day, "Someday I shall return to Abigael's and partake of the Coffee Theater Experience"

So, if we go there, it can be an entertaining time and the fulfillment of my vow.

If we decide to go elsewhere, I will fulfill my vow at another time.

See, coffee, dessert, theater and drama.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.