FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christopher Walken for President! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Christopher Walken for President!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time the Democrats nominate a Yankee liberal they lose. A Yankee liberal hasn't won since Kennedy. Democrats need to nominate a Southern moderate. Those are the ones who win. Unfortunately the early primaries are skewed toward nomination of Yankee liberals. I wonder why they can't figure this out and fix it. It's just weird.

Also, nothing seems to matter to the electorate as much as how appealing and how Presidential someone is. If they can find a Southern moderate who is actually appealing (not Gore) and Presidential, they will have a very good shot at it this time. I don't think Clinton can win, but what about Obama? Although he's not Southern, he's African-American, which counts as defacto Southern. I bet he'd have a good shot at it.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people believe Obama is too green yet; the fact that he's a senator (right?) seems to hurt too. I am definitely intrigued by what I have heard about him, though.

-o-

Color me unsurprised to hear that the people who think Hillary has a shot are New Yorkers.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Obama is a senator, and a freshman at that. And he himself was quoted some time ago as saying he had no plans to run for the presidency; he still needed to find his way around the Senate building.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama grew up in Hawaii and Nebraska didn't he? One of the plains states, I can't remember which, but he isn't native to Illinois.

And yes, he is green, which is why I suggested he wait until after at least a term or two, then run as a vice president. That way he will have plenty of experience, and still be 'young' enough to make a run at the presidency.

The best thing in 2012 then, is for her to run as Vice President to a southern or midwestern democrat running as President. I think that way they get her supporters, and her detractors can still stomach voting for whoever the the actual candidate is.

Whomever the non-Yankee may be though, he/she needs to start speaking up now, or forever hold his/her peace. I can't even think of anyone viable off the top of my head.

Who do you guys think the best candidate is for the Dems in 2008, and who do you think the best Republican candidate is?

Republicans - McCain.
Democrats - Bill Richardson (Gov. of NM)

Edit to add: Potential Candidates

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm the Democrats, I'm putting together an Edwards/Obama ticket.

That ticket should beat anyone unless the Republicans nominate McCain.

(McCain/Whoever would most likely defeat them.)

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
McCain would grab a lot of independents (including me, most likely) and even some Democrats if he ran.

I was wistfully dreaming of a McCain/Democrat ticket last election.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Edwards? Really? You want to nominate two candidates who would have less than two Senate terms between them total? Both Edwards and Obama would be one term senators, and in Edwards case, it'd be his second try after losing the first time. Both are inexperienced, and that would be used to slice both to ribbons.

I think Edwards had his shot, and missed. And Obama needs more time to mature.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Oh hell. I just wrote a fairly in-depth post that got eaten up by the internet gremlins.

Point was, Edwards, really.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'll take your word for it [Smile]
TL
Member # 8124

It was really brilliant, in several ways. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
His strong pursuit (involving unconstitutional possibilities being bantered about) of the steroids in baseball issue has significantly dulled him.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I think he lost the support of the vast majority of the Democrats when he stood up for Bush in 2004.
But he only needs a small minority of Democrats to turn Bush's margin of victory into a true landslide.

quote:
His strong pursuit (involving unconstitutional possibilities being bantered about) of the steroids in baseball issue has significantly dulled him.
I agree - this and his willingness to ban speech make me leery of him.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still like to see a Bill Bradley/Joe Biden ticket, but no one knows who those people are.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, that isn't true, really, because McCain wouldn't carry all the same groups Bush did....he isn't "right" enough on their political scale.

I would ahve voted for him in a second last time around, but I would never vote for him at this point...he has proven himself untrustworthy, at least to me.

Part of why I would have voted for him in the first place was my feeling of personal integrety I got from him, and that no longer is the case. He stood up for the same people who did the hatchet job on him and his people , and I lost all respect for him.

Still, at least he ISN'T a Bush. [Big Grin] I think that alone will be an improvment, although watching Jeb try to run would provide a lot of laughs...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dag, that isn't true, really, because McCain wouldn't carry all the same groups Bush did....he isn't "right" enough on their political scale.
For a lot of people that his matters for, he doesn't have to be "right" enough -- he just has to be more "right" than the opponent.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
I'd still like to see a Bill Bradley/Joe Biden ticket, but no one knows who those people are
Biden is a senator from Deleware, and Bill Bradley sounds very familier. Didn't he try to run in the Primary in 92? or 2000? I know his name has been up before, but he lost the Primary. I don't recall his policies, but I remember liking him.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
As MPH said, he doesn't have to be.

Plus, McCain is darn conservative. The only thing that ever really got him in trouble on that front was that the finance reform act kept a lot of conservative issue-oriented groups from putting out the ads they wanted to. But there was the same complaint from liberal issue groups, so it's not really an ideological complaint, except to those of us who hate speech restrictions.

Now, he might have trouble winning the nomination. But that's an entirely different question.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:

I think you have to be a little out of touch to think that any democratic ticket is unbeatable or even nearly so, after what happened last year. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I know who Biden is, but he always struck me as kind of a snake. Didn't he have some scandal ten or fifteen years ago?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Summary of Biden's withdrawal from the race for the Democratic nomination in 1988.
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Walken, sadly, is not running.

Snopes Debunks that Rumor

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
I think you have to be a little out of touch to think that any democratic ticket is unbeatable or even nearly so, after what happened last year.
Well, no, actually I don't. Additionally, I didn't *say* they were unbeatable. Finally, if you had read my brilliant analysis (which I didn't post) of why I felt that way, you'd feel quite silly right now. [Cool]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Christopher Walken, sadly, is not running.
Not surprised. I suspected it might be a prank site. Still, the basic premise was believable enough, so I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama- President
Bradley- VP
(Biden- Sec of State)

I can just imagine the campaign speeches, debates, and policy that would flow from those three.

About Biden, who says campaign speeches should be original, I'd rather they be true.
Wisdom is not something which is invented extemporaneously-0- there are no points for innovation-- wisdom is a clear account of the problem and a course of action that is perceived by a keen mind, and mining the words of some of the clearest thinkers in ones tradition is a habit that should be encouraged, not derided.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

For 2008? No way. Obama would never get elected with less than a term in the senate under his belt, no matter how popular he is.

He might be able to slip by in the VP slot, he'd be a good campaigner I think. But he could never lead the ticket. I'd call him a good VP possibility if no one more obvious steps up. Or, if the Dems lose in 08, he'll be a good contender in 2012.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I went searching for old Hatrack dirt on Blagojevich and found this time capsule gem.

Just reminds me of how hard it is to predict where things will be, three years out.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, wow...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
reading through this thread was highly amusing. some of my favorite comments:

quote:
Most of the Democrats rising stars are all senators. Barrack Obama will almost certainly take a swing at the Presidency in 10 years, and Clinton will eventually have her run at it. (Heck, maybe they will run together).
the dream ticket!

quote:
I think nominating Hillary would be insane, and all the evidence anybody needs that the democrats just don't have a clue how to connect with the majority of Americans outside of the urban northeast. It would be a great way to kill the party long-term.
this is ironic, because her big argument was her appeal to white working class voters, and the fear that Obama wouldn't be able to win them over.

quote:

(McCain/Whoever would most likely defeat them.)

You hadn't counted on McCain/Palin!

quote:
For 2008? No way. Obama would never get elected with less than a term in the senate under his belt, no matter how popular he is.
Foot, meet mouth. [Smile]

Thanks Lyrhawn, this post couldn't have existed without you!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn has entirely redeemed himself with his work on the recent political threads. [Smile]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
McCain would grab a lot of independents (including me, most likely) and even some Democrats if he ran.

I was wistfully dreaming of a McCain/Democrat ticket last election.

*hangs head in shame*

That was a different McCain. Let it be known that McCain ended up not grabbing this independent's vote.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Lyrhawn has entirely redeemed himself with his work on the recent political threads. [Smile]

of course...which is why I didn't feel bad gently ribbing him a bit.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn and Strider are both teh awesome
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:

QFT
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i don't think Obama has a chance.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:

QFT
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside! [Smile]

quote:
Just reminds me of how hard it is to predict where things will be, three years out.
you know, while the specific end was hard to predict, everyone was bandying about mostly correct names. Obama, Hilary, Biden, Richardson, McCain, Guiliani...that either says something about the intelligence of Hatrack, or the predictability of politics.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
We were also bandying about (although perhaps less seriously) Bill Bradley, Jeb Bush, and Rod Blagojevich himself.

I mostly just see it as an indication that popular wisdom can change relatively quickly, and we tend to have a bit of cultural amnesia as to exactly how different our views can be over the course of even a few years.

So anyone who thinks Sarah Palin will be the Republican standard bearer at least until 2012 (or even 2010), or that any Dem would be crazy to challenge Obama for nomination in 2012 (both things I've heard stated with some degree of certainty) should remember how quickly such perceptions can change.

Maybe I'm just betraying my own love/hate relationship with political predictions (like those Nate Silver is making for the 2010 elections over at fivethirtyeight).

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

If Nate Silver told me who I'm going to marry and the exact time of my death I'd believe him.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If somebody told me the exact location of my death, I'd make sure I never go there.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

But if somebody told you the exact time of your death would you make sure never to go then?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
If somebody told me the exact location of my death, I'd make sure I never go there.

Really? I bet I could get you to do so.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Personally, were I her political advisor, I'd tell her not to run, to secure her senate seat, and spend the next 6 years building up a good reputation and record. Give a more electable Democrat a run at the presidency, secure it, then worry about what comes next later. She has so many options, she could doom her career by choosing too much too fast. In 2012 she could even make a run at the governorship. She's immensely popular, and after spending 12 years there, she might start looking like a good candidate.

I love how Lyr was postulating that Clinton would make a good presidential candidate at the age of 77- I suppose he wasn't doing the math. Even if she had run after only one term as governor, which would be in 2020 (after a term expiring in 2018) she would have been older than McCain is now at 73.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Really? I'd love to know how.

Bear in mind that I said exact location. "Home" isn't an exact place, since the location of "home" can change infinitely.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

But mph.. "home" is where the heart is...
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

My home is my chest? What am I, a turtle?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Really? I'd love to know how.

Bear in mind that I said exact location. "Home" isn't an exact place, since the location of "home" can change infinitely.

Failing to go to this exact place will result in the painful death (long and lingering) of one of your children.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
My home is my chest? What am I, a turtle?

That is what I'm saying, yes.

That and you're MOM'S a turtle.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] [Laugh] [Laugh] [Laugh]

quote:
Lyrhawn, your political predictions no longer hold any weight for me. [ROFL] [Wink]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posted by Lyrhawn, September 25, 2005 11:40 p.m.

I think it deserves special mention that this was the very last post in this thread, until it was resurrected.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, I was really hoping this bump had Walken's write-in totals.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.