FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Speaking of gay marriage... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Speaking of gay marriage...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*really wants to nuke Iran right now*

*breath* *calm down*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I largely agree with the point that Rico is making.

quote:
Why not pin evil on ignorance?
I think this definition doesn't really mean anything. It argues from a premise that hasn't been agreed upon. In order for there to be misinformation, there must be accurate information. And there's no way we're all going to agree on what is morally accurate. I don't know how we would try and combat ignorance in this case other than trying to convince somebody that our beliefs are better than theirs. And that's not so much about ignorance vs. knowledge as it is about converting somebody from one world view to another.

The Iranians BELIEVED that the greatest good was served by killing the homosexuals. Whether a belief is religious or not has no bearing on its moral weight. To me, any belief that sees harming others as a useful tool is an evil belief. That is part of my world view and I would love it if those Iranians shared it. But this belief does not make me more knowledgable than them.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want to start a new thread so here's another related story:

quote:
Indiana couple sentenced in death of newborn
Parents prayed rather than seek medical care for ailing daughter.

FRANKLIN, Ind. - An Indiana couple who chose to pray over their dying newborn daughter rather than seek medical care for her were sentenced Friday to six years in prison for reckless homicide.

Their daughter, Rhianna Rose Schmidt, died in August 2003, less than two days after she was born at the couple’s home, from an infection typically treated with antibiotics.

The Schmidts’ church, the General Assembly and Church of the Firstborn, advocates prayer and faith healing over medical intervention but does not require members to shun medical care.

Rhianna was the third child of parents attending the Schmidts’ church to die since 1998 after family members refused medical treatment, according to published reports. The church is in Morgantown, about 30 miles south of Indianapolis.

Children born to members of the church in Colorado and Oregon also have died after their parents refused medical treatment.

Associated Press via MSNBC

I believe these parents were doing what they thought was best for their children. It is always sad when people with good intentions cause terrible tragedies. [Frown]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.