FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Dates are Killing Me

Author Topic: American Dates are Killing Me
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean that I don't know what the fourth of July is.

I mean that date format is inconsistent; for some reason or another the US decided that their independence day will be "07/04/1776" and not "04/07/1776". It's driving me crazy.

Mind you, I understand the logic. The first thing you see is the month, not the day, meaning it gives you the perspective - and you know first off what month it is - the day will make little difference (usually) - so it gives you the general picture first.

But it's inconsistent. And it's killing me.

If it were year-month-day, one thing. If it's day-month-year it's the same. But month-day-year is just too confusing, I don't know when it's American and when it's worldwide. I never know when a letter is written in this format or the other - and I ned to do a lot of guesswork.

It only settles in on Armistice Day and on D-Day. But it's killing me. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE IN TWO DIFFERENT WAYS? WHY DID ONE HAVE TO REINVENT THE WHEEL? Can't either side give up? Just like metrical and imperial systems. Neither's necessarily better, but at least they've got a completely different format. 15' isn't 15 metres, and 10M isn't 10 miles.

[/shouts]

I'm insane. But I have reason to be.
Jonny

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Support ISO-standard date format: 2005-08-16.

Plus, it sorts correctly automatically, no conversion needed.

But the reason for the American format is that it directly reflects how we say dates: August 16, 2005.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, it sorts correctly automatically, no conversion needed.
Until the year 10,000, sure.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Razz] adam.

Pops, the Y10K crisis will be horrible, that's for sure. Probably interrupt beer delivery and everything.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I also wish we (America) would go to the metric system. All through college, I would assume whatever problem I was given was taking place in Europe, so I could use metric units. Muuuch simpler. Which is why I'm one of the few people around who know their height in meters (1.90m). I'm also about 91kg.

I never knew the dates were different.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought this was another forlorn romance thread.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I just think dates should be properly supported as a data type, and could care less how they're stored, letting people create representations however they like [Wink]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, I think you mean you couldn't care less. [Evil]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

So dates are objects, not just data?

date.careLess();

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just like metrical and imperial systems. Neither's necessarily better, but at least they've got a completely different format.
Excuse me? Neither's necessarily better? do you think it's easier to remember 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 1760 yards in a mile (or 5280 feet in a mile), OR 10mm in a cm, 10cm in a dm, 10dm in a m, 1000m in a km?

This brings up a question, is 10 meters called anything special?

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
If American dates are killing you then maybe you should stop dating Americans.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
A dekameter, as I recall.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thanks Papa.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Perhaps, Megan, perhaps [Wink]

Dagonee: there's no such thing as "just data", except the binary data that higher level programming languages (which SQL assuredly is) should not be exposing directly to the programmer (except with express and preferably difficult effort).

Every bit of data in SQL or other decently high level programming language has a type which determines the operations that are possible on it. This does not mean that data is in an object in the sense of OOP, just that it is manipulated in a certain way.

Now, most data has a typical representation which is almost all we see of the data, but that doesn't mean it is the data.

Many people put SQL dates into some form of string (varchar, commonly), but that's a bad practice. Instead, one should use the SQL date and time types, which sort naturally but can be displayed any way one chooses. These do have a typical representation, but often one you wouldn't want to display -- seconds since the epoch, perhaps.

Objects are only a narrow section of possible data typing systems, all of which the above comments are applicable to. I much prefer the ability to create first class types that needn't use primitives and other objects as internal data representations. Haskell has excellent capabilities in this line, letting me do things like

code:
data Color = Red | Green | Blue

No need to keep track of constant strings, no need to use a number lookup, colors just "are" red, green, blue, or whatever else has been defined -- like integers just are 0, 1, 5, -2, or whatever. If you want to do stuff dependent on the RGB values of numbers, you'd write a function that accepted something of type Color and returned some type of thing containing the appropriate numeric information.

Or for an even better example:

code:
data Tree a = Leaf a | Branch (Tree a) (Tree a)

Which tells us a Tree holding things of type a can be made by either having a Leaf holding something of type a or a Branch holding two trees holding things of type a.

So I could make a function which retrieves the "leftmost" leaf of a Tree as follows:

code:
leftmost (Leaf x) = x
leftmost (Branch left right) = leftmost (left)

These types are all just as first class as Haskell's built-in types, the latter just have some syntactic sugar and low level optimizations.

This is unlike an OO language such as java, where the types programmers create are not as first class as java's types.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, avoid these!

[ August 16, 2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Tante Shvester ]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, if I were single, that post would have had me asking for your phone number. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*wonders if he should use the post as a pickup line [Wink] *
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Um, fugu, it was a joke about dates "caring" based on the ambiguity about which noun was the subject of "could care less."

[Grumble] whippersnapper.

Indignigo
Member # 8496

- posted      Profile for Indignigo   Email Indignigo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dare you, fugu. [Smile]
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, geek love...
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante - what?!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

What?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Avoiding what?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Huh? How did that happen? Wrong URL. Try again.

And, uh, you might want to avoid the other, too.

Not tzneius.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I fear ours is a weak and degenerate time. In the old days, when people fought their way to power over a heap of corpses, they forced the conquered to submit to Christianity, or Catholicism, or Islam. Me, I just plan to force conversion to the metric system. Alas, as dictators go, I'm rather boring.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You will never be our ruler.

The best you can settle for is meter stick.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I have a lot of meter in my poems... (But not metre... Sorry - my spelling habits prevent it from being a perfect pun!)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It was far from perfect, no matter how you spelled it. [Roll Eyes]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Nevertheless, the spelling prevents it from being perfect. Perhaps not the only reason for it, but one nonetheless.
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a lot of meter in my poems... (But not metre... Sorry - my spelling habits prevent it from being a perfect pun!)
Having such a dirty mind, I read that as "I have a lot of meter in my pants..."
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You're going to meet her where? [Eek!]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jonny, now you know how some of us Americans feel trying to decode European dates!!! LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Then we've got a problem: two formats, one needed.

(Based on: "I've got a drinking problem two hands, only one mouth.")

Unless you were punning too - in which case, ha. Ha.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Be glad you don't live in Canada, where the date format you see depends on . . . whoever wrote the code or the date down. Seriously. Canadians. Fickle. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Phew! I just breathed a sigh of relief that I don't live in Canada. Besides that date thing, there's also the problem that it is so FAR AWAY from everything.

On the positive side, I hear that there is ample parking.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I say we switch to a metric clock.

Your basic unit is the day.

You break that down into decadays (1/10 of a day), centidays (1/100 of a day), and millidays (1/1000 of a day). Easy enough, right?

Why on earth did we decide that we should break the day into 24 pieces (or worse, 2 halves broken into 12ths!), then break those pieces into 60ths, and then those pieces into 60ths, and then those pieces into 100ths?

Makes no sense.

Edit: this of course doesn't mean anything date wise, but there I am sure we could improve as well. Is there such thing as a metric calendar? *checks google*

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
From howstuffworks.com -

Why are there 24 hours in a day?

No one really knows. However, the tradition goes back a long way. Take, for example, this quote from Encyclopedia Britannica:

The earliest known sundial still preserved is an Egyptian shadow clock of green schist dating at least from the 8th century BC. It consists of a straight base with a raised crosspiece at one end. The base, on which is inscribed a scale of six time divisions, is placed in an east-west direction with the crosspiece at the east end in the morning and the west end in the afternoon. The shadow of the crosspiece on this base indicates the time. Clocks of this kind are still in use in primitive parts of Egypt.
The Babylonians seem to be the ones who started the six fetish, but it is not clear why.

Why are there 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute?

Again, it is unclear. It is known, however, that Egyptians once used a calendar that had 12 30-day months, giving them 360 days. This is believed to be the reason why we now divide circles into 360 degrees. Dividing 360 by 6 gives you 60, and 60 is also a base number in the Babylonian math system.

It's obvious where days, years, and months come from, but I've always wondered about hours, minutes, seconds, and weeks.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow….. I learned something on Hatrack today.
Guess I’m done for the day. I can go home and go to sleep now.
Yippie!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
I say we switch to a metric clock.
Like on "Battlestar Galactica", where they would say "just a centon" instead of "just a minute"?

How futuristic!

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
It's obvious where days, years, and months come from, but I've always wondered about hours, minutes, seconds, and weeks.
Hours, minutes and seconds from Babylon. They had a 12-based system; look at their numerals.

Weeks? From Judaism! Clearly so.

CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DOES IT HAVE TO BE IN TWO DIFFERENT WAYS? WHY DID ONE HAVE TO REINVENT THE WHEEL? Can't either side give up?
Diversity, individuality and all that modern day stuff.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.