FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Missile Attacks Target U.S. Vessel, Israel

Author Topic: Missile Attacks Target U.S. Vessel, Israel
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166190,00.html
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Are missiles and mortars the same thing? I take it that whatever these projectiles were was the sort of thing that can be fired by a portable device (and hence, by terrorist types), since it sounds like it wasn't the government of Jordan that did this.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
Techinically, no, (mortar) rockets and missiles are not the same thing. A rocket is a bomb with a motor. A missile is a bomb with a motor and some sort of guidance, making it more accurate. Generally speaking, missiles also usually have a bigger warhead (more explosive power).

The attack seems like it was directed at the US Navy, and, sadly, seems to have had the desired effect. And no, it was most likely not a product of the Jordanian government, either directly or indirectly.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Mortars can only be guided from their launch point, but they are faster than missiles. P.S. How much must it suck to have your city "closed off" because some crazy foreign terrorists used it to launch their operation? And here I was bummer that my supervisor is making me come in to work today.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.