FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun with store clerks (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fun with store clerks
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"That reminds me of a Walter Matthau movie where he would take this little kid over to their neighbor's house and ADD gas to the guy's tank. The man would crow about the amazing mileage his car got. They did it for weeks. Then they started siphoning the gas out."

The movie was "Pete and Tilly" with Carol Burnett.

I always ask for a "small" soda in Taco Bell. They don't have "small" just medium, large and extra large.

I also consistently ask for Coke, even if Pepsi is prominently displayed.

And I've been known to ask for a Big Mac in Burger King, and a Whopper in McDonalds.

As for store clerks having a crappy job to start with, my father used to be a counter man at the Red Apple Rest in Tuxedo NY. (Just saying the name to look for reactions) Anyway they had that counter man lingo, like: "Two burgers, one with and one without!" My father would make up calls to the grill that were nonsensical, like "Twelve Burgers, one with and one without!"

He also stole coffee cups, because he thought they were the greatest cups, and he couldn't find them anywhere else. But he put money in the till for the cups he stole, and as a result the books wouldn't balance. Nobody could figure out why there was TOO MUCH MONEY in the drawer.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, a kill joy, and yes, it's one thing to do something that's cute and funny, but you've got no guarantee that the clerk you're pranking is going to be the type that would appreciate it. I know I wouldn't have been, during the two clerking jobs I did. I think a better philosophy might be, if it's something that's harmless, doesn't create extra work for the people who work at the store, and doesn't hold anyone up or try to make anyone look stupid, then it's fine. Otherwise...well, you're just being juvenile, and someone who's been on a clerk's shift for 7 hours is probably NOT going to appreciate it.

Alright, I'm leaving the thread now, I promise. Y'all go back to your fun pranking ideas.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You mean you want to carry more coins than we already do? Not me; banknotes are a lot more convenient than pocket change. I wish we had banknotes for amounts of less than a dollar!
I'm hoping that they bring back the Doubloon.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"Speaking of cool coins, It's so much more convinient to use $1 and $2 coins, like in Canada and Europe. I don't know why the US has such a problem adopting to that. "

I agree. I wouldn't have thought so, though, until I went to England and kept discovering how much money I had in my pocket because of all the 1 pound coins.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my father used to be a counter man at the Red Apple Rest in Tuxedo NY.
Good golly! A blast from the past! I remember stopping there whenever my family would drive up to Sterling Forest.

As a kid, I was crazy for apples, and I remember that they never had any red apples on the menu at the Red Apple Rest. I think there was pie, though.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
In Dallas, the DART system machines give $1 coins as change. We would always buy a $2.50 train ticket with a $10 or $20 bill so we'd get lots of those cool coins in change. [Big Grin]

Then we'd use them on people. Hilarity ensued.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<saddened at some people's pathetic idea of hilarity>
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
...and at worst would give the clerk a weird story to tell his friends

Exactly it. I'm not interested in making anyone's life worse, or getting anyone in trouble. I favor the "this will become a store legend" type of thing.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<saddened at some people's pathetic idea of hilarity>
It really was hilarious when a waitress had to get her manager involved before we could pay, in a city where they were obviously trying to increase circulation of the coins. Maybe it's a "you had to be there" kind of thing. Then there were the three (three!) times we got dollar coins back as change instead of quarters, and when we went to point out the mistake, were told "They came in as quarters, they go out as quarters or the books don't balance. Keep it." That was just sad, because obviously several people didn't notice they were $1 coins until we pointed it out.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Cry] I weep for America.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost immediately after the gold dollar coins were released we had a change machine at work that would take $5, $10, or $20 and give you the dollar coins. It was great because then if you needed to break a larger bill to get something from the vending machine you didn't get stuck with $10 in quarters.

For my 25th birthday KrabbyPatty (who's something of a coin geek) said she'd been planning on giving me $25 in dollar coins because they were novel and not in very wide circulation, but hadn't had time to go to the bank. I pointed out that it was just as well, since I used them every night for pop and snacks at work, and probably had a few in my pocket at the time.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Cry] <-- isn't this graemlin supposed to be animated? Mine doesn't move.
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
When i read the title of this thread, i believed it was about a movie i loved : Clerks realised by Kevin Smith. I know he is going to made a second one about the two young people ten years later, around thirty years old. I'd like see it.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Now there's an overrated movie. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
A what movie ?
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Go into your local GNC or health food store and tell them you're looking for some supplements to boost your metachlorian count. 10-to-one you walk out of there with some recommendations.

If my local HFS is any indication, I think it's Noa Noa Tahiiti Noni Juice and some extra virgin coconut oil.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Clerks [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.