FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, I AM moving to FL, probably in the next month or so!!! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: So*, I AM moving to FL, probably in the next month or so!!!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Summer Cove
(866) 334-5791 ext. 9069
200 PINE VALLEY RD
SAINT CLOUD, FL 34769
Managed by: Concord Management Ltd

This is right inbetween St. Cloud and Kissimmee...I don't know anything about the area though...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Bob, thanks, but I can't seem to find any homes there for rent except the short term stuff....maybe Jenni can go take a look later....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I told Jenni about that area, she will be asking about it and taking a drive through when she gets down there. If I could get into a house for about the same amount (renting that is, I can't but yet, although I will be trying to save up for that as well...) it would be well worth it!

I need to get started at the new job to see what I will be making per hour, if necessary I can get a night job. [Big Grin]

JenniK is already planning on getting another job.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Welcome to Florida...

Beware the 2nd job when you work for Disney. They will not work around your schedule. And many employers seem to delight in changing hours and making you choose. I don't know what it is with people, really. It's an economy that practically demands that many people work two jobs, and yet, each employer acts as if they are the only one with demands on your time.

Now, I could see this if they were giving you a full 40 hours per week and you had benefits, etc. But what many of them do is short everyone enough hours so that they don't qualify for benefits and THEN get upset when told you have a second job.

Seriously sucks.

I could probably get you a few contacts in the hotel industry. Maybe a couple of other places if you start to worry. Really, I've been away from there so long that I don't know what the job situation is.

I am sorry to be such a doom and gloom messenger here. I do know that there are always jobs. I think it's possible to walk in to many places and be hired practically on the spot.

I don't know how the retail situation works, but most of the schools are already back in session so all those jobs are open.

It just depends on what kind of stuff you want to do.

Good luck...again!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Anything that pays well at this point..and my idea or "paying well" isn't real high compared to most. [Big Grin]

I like the hospitality industry, and may take you up om that, but as of right now I will give JCPenney a try down there, the area I am going into already pays better than my current job up here. [Big Grin]

I am a people person, and do well in interviews, and have a TON of experience in the food service industry as well, including the high end serving/managing areas.

I am sure it can't be worse than up here, where teh worst house I have ever seen just sold for $136,000 last week. [Big Grin]

Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're considering staying in retail, you might look into Appliance Direct. They're an appliance store with the most annoying commercials of life, but their opening a new supercenter of some sort near Osceola County, and advertising for jobs all over the radio. They claim that they pay substantially better than other retail-type jobs. They could be full of it, for all I know, but it might be worth checking out.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

I will try to drive around and look at those neighborhoods if I get a chance, btw. I'm not ignoring that, I just haven't gotten out yet.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I for one can't wait to go back to the sunshine and warmth...where there are palm trees... and the only snow is made of soap flakes! I miss it already and I hven't even been here (in the frozen north) for a whole week yet!
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Funny thing is the "frozen north" she is talking about has been a nice, non-humid 84 degrees.. [Big Grin]
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
lucky!

the air here is like wading through pea soup!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea,

Have you ever though of getting your Real Estate License? That is a good Second job, you can work on your own schedule. It is a good business to be in right now.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, that one of the things I am considering, although I am also considering the mortages side of it as well, I have a little bit of experience with that already. Not a lot, but a little... [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I said goodbye to my parents today. It was really tough, we are pretty close...

I will be starting a thread about that later...

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Goodbye? When do you leave?
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

My dad just retired, and they are moving back to MI (and AZ in the winters). They have the moving company comming tomorrow and they leave Wed...

JenniK leaves in about a week, and I will follow about 3-4 weeks after. [Big Grin]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ohh! I see, I see. Busy couple weeks you have ahead of you!
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep, it was tough saying goodbye, I will be lucky to see them a couple times a year from this point on. I usually spend AT LEAST every other weekend there all summer, and 1 weekend a month down there with them in the winter, not to mention every holiday and birthday I can get to. [Big Grin]

[Frown]

I buy the truck today though, so I am happy about that at least. [Big Grin]

[ August 30, 2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

She is at work, I just missed her! [Frown]

I will catch up with her tomorrow, I guess. [Big Grin]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I've checked back in a while. I thought I saw something a page or so back that said that you were looking at the Maitland area, as well. Don't! You would have to drive down I-4 through downtown Orlando everyday to get to Disney. And they will start reconstruction of the I-4/SR 408 interchange right downtown within a year.

I also want to second what Storm said about looking at Clermont, as well as Winter Garden and Ocoee due west of Orlando. Those would be fairly easy commutes to Disney taking SR 535 straight south. I'm guessing you have a map of the area. Also, that leg of the Western Beltway is under construction and should be open in the not so distant future.

If you end up at JCPenney at the Florida Mall, you can jump right on the Turnpike in that area and will drop you right off at the Mall area. That JCPenney is the largest in the area I believe and has the largest suit department.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, but I am not doing suits there, there isn't much money it suits in FL compared to the rest of the country. [Big Grin] I will be working in the Drapery department, which is the largest and bsuiest in teh state, and one of the first stores in the entire country to reach 1 million dollars in drape sales. [Big Grin]

As far as Maitland, my best friend takes the back roads to work at the Applebys every day and he said it was about 30-40 min to Disney using those back roads. I am trying to find something closer, to be sure, so thats for the heads up about the distance.

Jenni had her start date pushed back to the 13th, so she will be leaving in about a week or so. Her and her mother will be driving down, and her mom will fly back a week later.

I have found some real leads for a place to stay, and will be following up on some of them from here, and I will have a list of places for Jenni to check out by the time she leaves. I have Kevin, who I spoke to last night (now he is one of those darn lurkers.. [Big Grin] ) looking at the Indian Wells area Bob_S mentioned as well. He also gave me a heads up about a couple places in Kissimmee/St. Cloud that I had him check out. [Big Grin]

Having friends in the area makes things so much easier, huh? [Wink]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you guys are probably buried in looking at places, but seriously, Winter Garden or Ocoee might be good choices.

Ask your friend what back roads he's taking from Maitland. I can't think of any roads out of there that aren't pretty congested, so I'm curious. I'm always happy to learn a new back way.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Will do, I am suppose to talk to him in the next few day again. [Big Grin]

I am looking at everything and anything...but when I did a search for those areas I got very few hits to be honest. I didn't have time to go real in-depth, but I will consider them, of course.

Kwea
Member # 2199

The lady selling the truck and I have opposite scheduals for this week, so I might not have the truck until this weekend.

Jenni pushed her start date back until Spetember 13th, so she will be leavign the 8th we think.

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, I bought the truck, and tomorrow I plan on registering it, as long as work lets me take a 2 hour lunch... [Big Grin]
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Yay!
Kwea
Member # 2199

I took this afternoon off to go register it...and look when I am, here at Hatrack while getting ready to do just that.

I am so sick....I need help....

[Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, the truck si running, and registered and insured. Jenni had 4 days of work left...that really brings home how much work we have left to do, let me tell you...

My friend Kevin, who at SOME point will post as VelourMan here at Hatrack (he is stuck in lurker mode for now, he says), just checked out two places for me yeasterday...both as possibiliies, although he said one of them wasn't in a great section of town...but it wasn't real bad, and the places themselves seemed pretty nice.

The place that seems to be leading at the moment is an apartment in a two family home, with a fireplace and air conditioning, for about $595. It is about 1000 sq feet, 2 bedrooms and one bathroom, which is what we have now...actually it is larger than this place is to be honest. Kevin used the renal company when he was renting out his home a few years back, and he said they do a good job, so I went to their site and found this place.

I would like to have a pool and a fitness room, so I am looking at other places as well, but this place seems to be pretty good, Kevin said they were painting the house and they were fixing it up pretty nice when he went by it.

It is in Kissimmee, about 20 min or so from Disney, I think.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, if you're up, call me on my CELL PHONE.

(Do NOT call the house!)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*bump*
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

Oh well, sorry I missed you. I was out and I had nothing better to do, so I figured I would look at apartment complexes. It was too hard to follow links on my phone, though, so I was hoping you could recap them for me on the phone. Anyway, I found a really cool place in Lake Buena Vista cheaper than anything in Kissimmee, maybe five minutes from employee parking at Epcot (tops), and convenient to I-4 and, therefore, JCPenney. And it has a pool and workout room, and LARGE laundry facilities.

Interested?

[Wink]

I also saw a complex with fantasy theme street names, like Hobbit Circle and Wizard way, but I was otherwise less impressed.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Icky, of all nights for me to go to sleep early... [Big Grin]

I am interested in the LBV one, do they have a listing on the web? What is the place called? Or were you just pulling otherwise unmentional bits of my anatomy? [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Icky, Cor, and zgator have all been a great help!

As has my friend Kevin...aka VelourMan (if he ever stops lurking!)

[ September 04, 2005, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Icky, did you get a chance to look at any of those places I sent you? I know I sent a lot of them, but I figured since I have no idea what was and wasn't close to you I would let you pick and choose from all of them. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

::bump::
Icarus
Member # 3162

I didn't make it out yesterday, sorry. I'll see if I get out today.
Kwea
Member # 2199

It's all good. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Icky, I don't want to call this late, give me a call if you see this, I am up (and watching the FSU game as well. [Big Grin] ).
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'll call you if you want, but my father bailed on me, and I never made it out today, so I have nothing new to report. [Frown]
Icarus
Member # 3162

(Let me know.)
Kwea
Member # 2199

It is all good, whenever you can....I am not going anywhere...although Jenni leaves in two days now....
Icarus
Member # 3162

o_O

Did Jeb! just say, "It's payback time"?!

Kwea
Member # 2199

Actually...if you could get the name of that place near the EPCOT parking lot, in LBV< that would be really cool. I looked, and I can't find anything. I need the actual name of the place to call them or look them up online. [Big Grin]

Whenever, not an emergency. [Big Grin]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I'll try to call my father from work tomorrow--I suspect he's sleeping now and don't want to wake him.
Kwea
Member # 2199

That works, as I said it is important but not time crucial. [Big Grin] Thanks for the help so far, BTW. Even just hearing about the area helps a lot.
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

Are you online right now?
Kwea
Member # 2199

just got here, why?
Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, I am gone now, or will be shortly... [Big Grin]

Be back later though...I hurt my back so this is about the extent of my activity for tonihgt. [Big Grin]

Icarus
Member # 3162

The place in Lake Buena Vista is called Buena Vista Place:

http://www.tcresidential.com/communities/community_details.php?id=371&state=Florida&p=s

They do something pretty cool, if you think you might eventually buy a house. If you leave them to buy into a house, they will rebate you a percentage (5%?) if your payments to them to be used as a downpayment.

Another one my father says you should look into is Wellington Woods. This is located in Kissimmee on Hoagland, about 11 minutes from Disney via Osceola Parkway, 20 to 30 minutes away depending on traffic on US-192. It is about 20 - 30 minutes from the Florida Mall (again, possibly less, depending on trafffic.) (See below regarding their cable prices.)

-o-

Outrigger Apts on Mabette is in the downtown Kissimmee area. Probably not the best of areas, but I'm just basing this on mapquesting, not on a driveby (yet).

My father concurs that Reef Club is no good.

Arrow Ridge is not bad. It is right next to my father's apt, and owned by the same people that own Wellington Woods. (He likes Wellington Woods better, though.) My father says it is not bad. Both are gated (Wellington Woods closes their gate more regularly than Arrow Ridge.) Both of them have free after-school childcare programs. Neither includes cable in the price of rent. (I don't know if others do, but my father's does, and he says their cable is particularly expensive, and they don't allow you to have dishes unless they are physically inside your apartment.)

As noted, this information is from mapquest and picking my father's brains. I have not yet driven around to these places.

-o-

My father recommends against any place that charges redecorating fees, as they will tend to nickel and dime you forever. He also recommends that you argue against having to pay separate application fees for the two of you. (But the Tremmel Crowe properties generall try to make you do this.)

Icarus
Member # 3162

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=1197623#post1197623

Buena Vista Place seems to be referenced here.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Something else to consider:

Displaced families from Katrina are coming here (among other places) to live and go to school while their homes are repaired. Our district alone is taking in over a thousand students from the affected areas into our schools. So there might soon be a shortage of apartments. You'd best get while the getting is good. [Wink]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.