FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, I AM moving to FL, probably in the next month or so!!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: So*, I AM moving to FL, probably in the next month or so!!!
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you say you're working in furniture at JCPenney? Is that at the mall, or in a separate store? I haven't looked for furniture since I moved here, but I know that in Miami, JCPenney sold furniture through a separate store called "JCPenney Home Store" or something like that. I don't recall seeing furniture in the Florida Mall dept. store. So do you know where exactly you will be commuting to?

(Did you ever look into that Appliance Direct place? Was that a total bust, or of any interest at all?)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be selling drapes, actually, although tehy are looking at buying the space from the Lord and Taylor right next to them and making it a furniture department. [Big Grin]

They were the first store in the company to hit 1 mill in drapes sales, so they said it should be a considerable raise from what I make now....and I keep my days of service with the company, almost two years worth at this point.

I would like to have decided on a place within a week of Jenni getting there, and we have the cash to put down if necessary.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay . . . did you see my last post on the previous page?

(I hate it when stuff gets lost on the bottom of the page!)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I read too fast, and thought you were selling grapes.

When do you leave, Kwea? Any chance of one last W Mass. gathering?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Jenni leaves on Thursday, at 6 am. I will be following in 3-5 weeks.

Icky, I had not see it, thanks for mentioning it. I sent a few emails out to two places mentioned, including the LBV one. That one looks most likely, to be honest.

The move in cost is fairly cheap, but I am busting their balls a bit, asking about a Disney CM discount. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

According to the thread I linked, they offer one. [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep, bu they don't say what it is, do they...sneaky guys...some places don't do a credit check if you are a Disney employee, they just verify your employment wi them.

Our cresit isn't great, to be honest, although eprerian seems to think I have owned 2 houses already. [Big Grin]

I hope that doesn't become an issue. [Wink]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I hope not. I had massive amounts of incorrect stuff on my report (still do, for all I know), and when I tried to correct it, they either told me it stayed, or removed it, only for me to find it there again after six months.

Let's just say I stood up and cheered at the end of Fight Club! [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I never saw that, it held NO interest for me. [Big Grin]
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm . . . why not? I didn't see it in the theater either--it looked from the comercials like some sort of macho empowerment flick. A friend made me see it on video, and let me tell you, it was nothing like what I expected. It was, frankly, one of the most brilliant (albeit violent) movies I have ever seen. (One of the more subversive, too.)
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't like Brad Pitt, usually, and I don't like fistfights, although I don't usually mind them in movies.

I will have to check it out then. [Big Grin]

Goo Boy
Member # 7752

You can see it over here sometime. [Wink]
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Works for me! Or we could have you over, I have a 32' tv and a surround sound system still. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

I sent messages to both Cagen's Crossing and BVP, but they didn't write back yet.. [Big Grin]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a 32' tv
Wow! That's like 384 inches!!! Holy cr@p! You coule probably see Brad Pitt's enlarged pores with that baby!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Risin' above the city, blocking out the noonday sun
It dwarfs the mighty redwoods and it towers over everyone
I still remember when that delivery truck came down our block
What a lucky guy, I hear he got the last one in stock
And the neighbors are just green
They say, "That's the biggest screen we've ever seen!"

It's Frank's 2000 inch TV (Frank's 2000 inch TV)
Everbody come and see(Frank's 2000 inch TV)
Frank's 2000 inch TV (Frank's 2000 inch TV)

Kwea
Member # 2199

LOL...you don't need that big of a TV to see THOSE pores, man... [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Jenni leaves in 4 1/2 hours...;(

I will miss her a lot, this is the first time we have been seperated for more than a couple of days since we started dating...

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Bye Jenni!

Get up! Get going! It's almost time!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

She gets up almost this early every day...she left within 10 min of her self-imposed start time, which is better (much better) than when I try to get her to leave for trips. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Jenni is in FL now, and will be looking at apartments and houses tomorrow. I will send her to teh Indian Wells area the next day, if possible, to see abuot a long term rental of a house in the area, providing any are avalible and in our proce range.

I also looked at a mortgage calculator, and we may be looking into houses as soon as next year, providing things don't go even more nuts down there next year. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Jenni should be looking at places now, and we may even have definitive news as early as tonight, at least from our end of things....we would still have to get through the application process, but I am cautiously optimistic about that.

I told her to check out Cagan's Crossings and LBV Point first...if they look good, and there are no houses avalible for what we can afford to pay, then we will probably go with one of those two.

Kwea
Member # 2199

She looked a two places today, and is going to look at a few more tommorrow, once the offices open and she can make an appointment. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

OK...SO*, I am talking to JenniK today, and I ask "Did you go look at any apartments today, since this is your last day before you start working?". She replied" No, I didn't get a chance to, but guess what? I bought "us" a cell phone today!".

She said we could use it rather than getting a phone in the house....to which I said " What about the cheap dial-up Internet we had discussed? You need a phone line for that"..

Glad to see that we have our priorities straight.
[Dont Know]

So next month, when I am living in the shelter there, with a stolen trailer from U-haul because I have no place to put our stuff..at least I can call her on her cell phone....

Providing I have $.50 to call her from the pay phone...and I can find one that works.
[Roll Eyes] [Razz]

She has plans to see what her work is like this week, then call around. The real reason was that the offices needed to plan tours for her, and none of them had called back. . .but it took a little bit for me to get that out of her. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

What is up with realtors in FL?

I ahve callled three of them, as has Jenni, and emailed about 10 of them, but only three of them got back to us.

I guess my money isn't good enogh for them. [Big Grin]

I found an apartment complex for Jenni to check out, then looked it up on a site where people rate their apartment complexes...

And there was a post there linking to teh state sexual offenders list.

Two of the people on the front page lived at that complex. [Eek!]

A third person was labeled a "sexual predator" and listed that place as a residence, but he was in jail for now.

I don't think we will be looking at that place. [Frown]

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Yuck! [Angst]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She said we could use it rather than getting a phone in the house
I wouldn't have advised that until you knew where you were going to live. If you find a place and you have lousy reception, your screwed. If you already had a place and found that out, you could take the phone back and get out of the contract.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

I keep forgetting to ask, Kwea: I know several people who take jobs at Disney where they only work one shift every month or three, and most of the time they work somewhere else, so they still gt their own personal admission free (not the blank tickets, though--I think you have to work more hours to get those). Are you looking into doing that?
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am thining about that. It is called casual temporary hire, and I applied for full time.

Anita, the woman who interviewd me for Disney, called last week and confirmed that I had passed my background check and that I was hired. I told her I was just going out the door, and made arrangments to call her back this Friday...tommorrow.

I am calling JCPenney right now to talk to teh manager and give her the dates I am moving....she callled teh store three days ago but I wasn't there. She looked in te transfer portion of our benifit page and didn't see my name...

Because I didn't maintain enough hours (they didn't even schedual me enough, just barely, plus I was doing the mortgage thing for a few months), so I offically can't transfer....but she can still hire me when I apply down there. [Big Grin]

Once I get in touch with her I will call Anita, and perhaps we can discuss the casual temp thing then. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
quote:
She said we could use it rather than getting a phone in the house
I wouldn't have advised that until you knew where you were going to live. If you find a place and you have lousy reception, your screwed. If you already had a place and found that out, you could take the phone back and get out of the contract.
Zan, you ahve no idea how irritated I was at her for doing that...but there is nothing I can do about it now. I understand she wanted a cell phone so she could talk to me for free/low cost while she was down there, but my choice would have been to wait, hands down.

Oh well, whatever works...

So*, looks like I will be down there for the first week in October, even if Jenni hasn't found a place yet. [Eek!]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on when she got it, she might still be able to take it back. Isn't it 72 hours on a contract or something?

My B-i-L did the casual hire for quite a while in security. I know at some point, they changed the number of hours necessary to get blank tickets, but I could swear he could still get his family in.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, all you need for casual hire is to work once during the year, actually...my friend Kevin does it. I don't know what the deal with getting others in, but since Jenni works there it really isn't much of an issue. [Big Grin]

The 72 hours thing isn't a problem, I think, since she took so long to get back to me. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Jenni found one open apartment, a large two bedroom in a decent location...she has an apointment to see it soon, her next day off is Monday I think.

Dorado apartments, I think....

She will also be looking at Waterbridge, St. Cloud Apartments, and Simpson Ridge. And Outrigger too.

St. Cloud is one of two places that bothered to get back to us, and they have a 2 BR open as well...but it would be a 35 min commute for me, although for Jenni it si only a 16 min one. [Big Grin]

The clock is ticking, I sent my official notice in today....Friday next week is my last day.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's so exciting! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not all of it in a good way though...I would be a lot less stressed if I knew I had a place ready, and knew how much the move in cost will be.... [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

My sis is in town, and I will be going out for drinks with her and some friends I haven't seen in years, as long as my brother-in-law doesn't mind.

The only bad thing is that she didn't bring my neice, who is about 2 1/2...I was really looking forward to seeing her today. [Frown]

[ September 23, 2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the places that didn't get back to you, but that's just me. [Dont Know]
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am not, but it is crunch time people! I move in 8 days, and as of right now I have no place to live.

If they never get back to me Jenni can't even get in to see the apartments.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Jenni is getting sick...not a good thing.

Well, she is looking at a few place tomorrow, she has teh next two days off I think she said.

Wish us luck! [Big Grin]

I should be down there between Monday and Wendsday, not this coming week but the following one.

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, mixed news...

I am having problems with my exaust on the truck. It has detached in two places, and is now unbearbly loud.

But the place where it snapped off are not close to the manifold, so they can be repaired, at least well enough for the trip down and a few weeks after. I can even do most of it myself...but it is raining right now.

Still no place to live yet, but JenniK is looking at several places today. Oddly enough the largest problem we are having sin't a lack of apartments, it is..we make too much money.

That is bull$hit. We made a pitiful amount last year, evne combigned...but most ot teh income restricted places have a restriction of 26,800 a year...

Combigned.

That's right, for both of us.

But the rents themselves are in the $600 range. If you and your spouse made %26,800, how could you afford that?

Simpson Ridge is close to both our works, seems to be a nice place, and has a 1 BR apartment availible right now...I just talked to them about 3 hours ago, and Jenni just called them back. Their application fee is $45, which is fair (if any such fee is fair), and the deposit is $350-400. Rent is $575, and it is suppose to be a fairly decent size, although I forgot to ask what the footage was. Also, Jenni is inquiring about a CM discount, as some of their competitors offer one.

They will ahve a 2 BR apartment for rent at teh end of October, and I am pretty sure that if we want to move into it we could....but it is $745 a month, more than I wanted to spend. At least until I find out how much my take home pay will be there, you know..

I talked to the manager of the JCPenney at the Florida Mall, and she knows I am coming down this week...I will probably start the week after, although I will try to start after a few days; we could sue the money. [Big Grin]

JenniK's pay has been higher than we expected, although that is a good considering I missed almost a weeks worth of work with a bad back two weeks ago.

I will let everyone know exactally when I will be moving out...I expect to be on the road by Sunday at the latest, and more likely on Sat, although I AM going to see my sisters family on Friday night.

Let the countdown begin!

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
That restricted income thing is why we don't live in Florida anymore. They required us to get a 3 bedroom because our children are of different sexes (they won't allow boys and girls over 2 to share a bedroom). That meant rent of $900+, but we couldn't make over $30,000 combined. Hmm...$900x12=$10,800! More than 1/3 of the MAXIMUM allowed! No thanks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, it is weird.

Makes me wish I was a waiter though, at least we would still qualify for it. [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Still no apartment...I am starting to think I should ahve flown down there and done it myself despite the cost.

Jenni is doing what she can, but a lot of these places are only open while she is at work.

I am reallly starting to get scared.

6 days.

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Hope she finds one today, before she goes into work.
Kwea
Member # 2199

No such luck, although what I am finding out is that the income restriction they list is fairly flexable...you can state an income, and just have them accept it...the only proof they asked for was a letter from the store stating my hourly wage, not including my commission.

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Kwea,

I found out that my information on neighborhoods is horribly out of date. I'm sorry if I sent Jenni on a wild goose chase re: Indian Wells. I heard that houses there are selling for $200,000 on up!!! [Eek!]

Seriously, 5 years ago, those places could still be had for less than $90,000. I figured there must be a few still renting for a rate that would cover the old original mortgage, and that would've put them below $800, easily.

Sorry.

Good luck with your truck. It brings back memories. I moved to FL in a 1971 Econoline 3/4 ton van I purchased down there and drove back up to NY. When I got to NY, I had to have the stearing box tightened. [Eek!] The battery was stolen out of it when I left it with the repair place.

When I got back down to FL, I had it checked out to see if I should keep it. The cam shaft was being held in place by 2 of 8 (or was it only 6) of the pieces that are supposed to be there. The transmission had been rebuilt by someone who must've looked at the manual upside down and backwards. And the lighting system had rewired itself at random.

Sadly, I kept it and had all that stuff repaired.

When I traded it in, they laughed and then ended up giving me more in trade than I'd paid for it.

[Big Grin]

Of course, I paid more for the new used car I bought.

Good luck!

Be safe!

Don't drive past the point of fatigue. Pull over and get some rest!

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, they have an income restriction in Florida? Is that state-wide, or is it an Orlando thing?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Income restricted housing...a lot of apartments will not let you move in if you make over a certain amount because they get lots of incentives from the govt for providing "low-income" housing.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

There isa "trick" to it, as I found out today.

They need to know your BASE pay, without overtime. . . or commission. [Big Grin]

They say that there is an exemption for commission because it isn't "steady" pay, although that sounded a little dicey to me, but they are the ones who have to make sure everything is followed.

I also asked about second jobs, or if you make more money becaue of promotions...she said that the only time that matters s when you are looking for a NEW place...once you are in, you are in.

Had I known that (or more to the point if Jenni had asked about it in the first place, she told me they went by last years taxes) we could ahve qualified for any place she looked at these past two-three weeks.

My base pay is only $6.15 an hour down there...but my commission pay is, on average, at least that much if not more.

We just applied at Outrigger Villiage, which is right inside Kissimmee, not the best place in the world but not a bad part either. Kevin (aka VelourMan) checked it out, as a matter of fact it was the very first place I had him check out, and he said it was fair.

We are moving into a 2 BR apartment, providing oour credit checks out. JenniK just bought a cell phone from Verizon, and all they wanted was a $50 deposit, so we should be fine.

Talk about a load off my mind, providing it all works out.

SO*, today I tried to wire the trailer harness on the truch. I tried to find a kit that would just let me plug it in to the joiner, but as this is a 1990 I had no luck, The kit I tried was opposite of what I needed..there were little plastic guides that wouldn't allow me to reverse it, and it wouldn't fit out of the package.

I wanted to aviod cutting and splicing the actual wires because on older cars and trucks sometimes you can short out the whole system cutting into it...but I did find this one kit that would snap in place, cutting it for me.

As I wa pushing the clasp shut the trailer wire fell out...and when I tried to fix it the whole light system stopped working.

So even though I am fully licenced, registered, and insured, I can't drive it at all. [Frown]

I will try to splice it higher up tomorrow when I have better light..and I finally got the mirrors off so tomorrow I can go to the junkyard and buy some new mirrors for it, ones that stay in place on the highway. [Big Grin]

Bob, we did find places to rent in that area, but they were i the 100-1200 range. I found one other place for 850, but that was still out of our range.

To be honest, after seeing the rent prices down there I am having serious second thoughts about the whole move...but it is too late to back out now, you know. I hope we will be OK, but I have no idea how people are suppose to survive on what the pay is down there if housing is so expensive.

We will see, I guess. [Big Grin]

Icarus
Member # 3162

[Frown]

For what it's worth, I did express doubts about how much you were looking to pay for rent.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.