FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Music Video

Author Topic: Favorite Music Video
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So we've had tons of "favorite "blank" movie" threads, and tons of "favorite "blank" music" threads. I wonder why we haven't had a music video thread. I DID in fact use the search engine thing, and it returned no hits on music video threads.

So, what is your favorite music video and why? This may be a limited thread, as I have no idea how few people here watch or have ever watched MTV, VH1, CMT or any of the channels that were spawned from those three.

It's hard to pinpoint a favorite music video, as first of all, I haven't really watched MTV in a few years, and second, there are such a huge number of them, I know I haven't seen them all.

But a few favorites:

Dave Matthews Band - "Everyday"
It's a fun video. There's a guy who walks around this city just trying to hug people. It's not creepy, it's sweet, especially with how upbeat and positive the song is. If done wrong, it could have easily been considered too cheesy, but it's not, and generally leaves you feeling good.

Michael Jackson - "Thriller"
How can this not be on your favorite list? It set a benchmark on how to make music videos. It was essentially a short featurette, with a full length version that went over seven minutes. It's an awesome video, with perhaps one of the most memorable dance routines in music video history.

Jamiroquai - "Virtual Insanity"
It isn't really revolutionary, but I just love the effects of the furniture moving all around the room the lead singer is in during the video (the room is actually moving, it isn't the furniture, it's the walls).

A Simple Plan - "Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me)"
This video is basically a PSA against drunk driving. At the end is actually a script that reads something about MADD and drunk driving. But that isn't why I like it so much (at least not primarily). There is one part where the drunk driver hits this girl driver and instead of showing the damage to her, it shows her family at home, all going about their lives. Her brother is playing games, dad is in his office, mom is doing the dishes etc. When the cars hit, the family is thrown around the house, as if they were hit by the car themselves, to show the effect that drunk driving accidents have not just on the person killed, but on their family as well. It's powerful.

Well, maybe this post didn't mean anything to anyone, but I felt music videos deserved a thread!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
A-Ha, "Take On Me".
The effects aren't as impressive when you watch them now, in the digital age when they can make absolutely anything look real. But it was dang innovative in the '80s, and it still looks really neat. Plus the song itself rules.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Good call, Verily. That's always been my favorite.

Of course, "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys is a close second. Creative and hilarious.

I know I've got more choices. It's just been so long since I've watched MTV I can't remember what any of them are.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

- posted      Profile for Salah   Email Salah         Edit/Delete Post 
Definetly Chris Issac- "Wicked Game," nothing less than hypnotic.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bravery- An Honest Mistake. Hilarious.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Fat Boy Slim's Weapon of Choice: I adore Christopher Walken's smirk. If it's on the TV when I walk by, I have to sit down and watch it until the end. Mesmerizing. I didn't the know that man could dance! It's wacky-creepy fun.

I also recently likely the Killers' Mr. Brightside, because I am attracted to shiny objects and bright colors.

I endorse Take On Me and Sabotage as fun favorites for young and old.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fatboy Slim's Weapon of Choice
I second this.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of Tool videos. Sober, Stinkfist, and Aenima were all great videos.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Annie
Member # 8480

- posted      Profile for Sister Annie   Email Sister Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fatboy Slim's Weapon of Choice
Me too!
Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.