FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where to go in Chicago? What about in San Jose? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where to go in Chicago? What about in San Jose?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
This might be a good thing to do in Chicago:

http://www.martyrslive.com/

"With heavy hearts and steely New Orleans resolve, REBIRTH BRASS BAND will bring their raucous road show to several Midwestern cities in September, including Martyrs' in Chicago on sept. 16th. With no idea when its members will be able to get back to their beloved city, the tour must go on. Demonstrating the Crescent City's determination and strength of spirit, Rebirth Brass Band embarks on an eight night, seven city tour. Additionally, each of the performances on the tour will have some form of Hurricane Relief present. This Midwestern tour marks the first time the Rebirth Brass Band has been to the region since early in 2004."

Martyrs is a great music venue. Last night the Irish music community held a very successful fund raiser for hurricane relief there. Martyrs is located at 3855 N. Lincoln (quite near the Irving Park stop on the Brown Line)

Also - don't forget Celtic Fest.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Did KPC enjoy Chicago?
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did enjoy my time in Chicago. Depsite having to be at the seminar for most of the time. I did have Saturday evening off and enjoyed going into downtown and the Navy Pier with Goody and her kids. Thanks again Goody.

Saturday afternoon our regional manager took us to Girodano's. I do have to admit that it is some of the best pizza I have had. I would like to go back sometime and maybe take KQ and KP with me

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(But we are not going there in the winter!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Yes the winters here suck! I'm originally from So. Cal and after ten years here in Chicagoland I have finally matured to simply hating the winter.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, considering that I start getting cold and wearing sweaters and flannel pjs when the weather hits about 72, I think I would not survive a Chicago winter.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

KQ,

When I moved here and had to "winterize" my car (new concept) in November and the mechanic (he knew I was from CA) was looking at my coat and asked, "is that the only coat you got?" I replied, "yes." He laughed and said, "that ain't gonna cut it, you'd better buy a real coat."

What struck me was that this was a heaviest coat I had ever owned, and one I had been sledding on Mt. Baldy with on several occasions.

Needless to say, in late November I bought myself a real coat, and hat, and gloves, and scarf...

JW

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, seriously? 72 is almost as warm as I like it to ever get.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am off to San Jose, CA on the 27th and 28th of January for an awards banquet and conference....

I am arriving about 9:30am and I did not find out until a couple of days ago, that nothing will be starting until about 4pm. I will be staying at the Doubletree, is there anything interesting to do around the city?

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I live near San Jose, and I'm sorry to say that there's not much going on here. San Franicsco, my favorite city in the world, is only forty minutes away.

Let's see. I remember The Tech being particularly awesome, but I haven't been there in four years. If you have the time, it would probably be worth checking out.

I'll add other things if I think of them. I still feel so new here--I hardly know what's going on anywhere.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to recommend the Tech! [Smile] My (former) father-in-law used to be a volunteer there, and helped work out many of the exhibits (the majority of which are still there, I think). It's also just a really cool place.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I just got BACK from San Jose! How come you and I didn't plan our trips at the same time?

Heart of Silicon Valley - beautiful area. I hope you have as good of weather as we did.

We spent one day driving down to Santa Cruz and exploring the coast. One evening we drove up to San Francisco to see the Pier area downtown. Everything was gorgeous.

If you have a company budget, eat at McCormick & Schmick's in downtown San Jose. Absolutely awesome.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

Okay, that sounds good. I might go there for lunch since the first company thing is dinner. Also, I am looking to make a good impression on the managers, so if someone in the SJ area wants to look at the knives, I will be sure to pack them and it would be fun to meet more hatrackers.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.