FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2 Walmart employees gunned down in parking lot.

Author Topic: 2 Walmart employees gunned down in parking lot.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] [Angst] [Eek!] [Eek!] Yesterday, two employees of a Walmart in Glendale were gunned down while gathering shopping carts in the parking lot. it's the middle of the day, and a guy drives in and shoots the two employees. He then reloads and shoots them again. He was later arrested at his home.

These two guys were at work, doing something they did every day. Now they're dead. One of them had a wife and kids. It's a crazy world we live in. [Frown]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Glendale, AZ?

Wow. That's insane. [Frown] And very sad. [Frown]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an alibi.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there was "no motive". NO MOTIVE connecting the shooter to the employees. Those two people could've been the nicest most unoffensive people around, but they still died because some idiot decided he wanted to kill them.

Let their families decide what to do to him/her (I don't know if it was a female or male).

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yeah, Glendale Arizona. From what I've seen on the news, the guy just drove in and shot them. It wasn't revenge. They just happened to be out there when he drove in. [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Too many first-person shooter video games.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It says he's mentally disturbed in the article I saw. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

That means his lawyer will probably try to get him found not guilty by reason of insanity. He'll probably end up in the state hospital. I've driven by there and it's a scary looking place.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, this unfortunate shooting only saved them from the far worse fate of being crushed by falling prices...

edit: spelling

[ August 24, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: TheHumanTarget ]

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a funny joke about the guy wearing a smiley faced mask, but in light of actual deaths I don't think it's appropriate.

God be with the families and the shooter better hope he's clinically "completely wacko" because if not I hope they throw the book at him.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CStroman:
Let their families decide what to do to him/her (I don't know if it was a female or male).

No! Punishment of criminals should never be decided by the victims and their families. That's revenge not justice. A civilized society sentences criminals to keep them from commiting further crimes and to deter other criminals, but never for revenge.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CStroman:
I had a funny joke about the guy wearing a smiley faced mask, but in light of actual deaths I don't think it's appropriate.

God be with the families and the shooter better hope he's clinically "completely wacko" because if not I hope they throw the book at him.

I completely agree with you on this on Stro....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
It says he's mentally disturbed in the article I saw.

Apparently.

But besides mental illness, this is just evil. There is evil in the world, and this is an example. I try, and so should we all, to increase the sum total of good in the world, through righteous deeds, so that good will prevail and we can heal the world from evil.

Horrible. Horrible. Evil.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Revenge is one word, retribution is another. If not retribution then for what cause do we punish? Rehabilitation? A sane person who commits this crime does not deserve a second chance and so rehabilitation is wasted on him. At that point who better than the victims' families to decide which punishment within the bounds of the law is best? I think out of all likelihood a sane person who commits this crime deserves the worst punishment possible unless the victims' families wish to provide for leniency.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
NFL!!!!!!!!!!! So good to see you!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by newfoundlogic:
Revenge is one word, retribution is another. If not retribution then for what cause do we punish? Rehabilitation? A sane person who commits this crime does not deserve a second chance and so rehabilitation is wasted on him. At that point who better than the victims' families to decide which punishment within the bounds of the law is best? I think out of all likelihood a sane person who commits this crime deserves the worst punishment possible unless the victims' families wish to provide for leniency.

We punish as a society (rather than as individuals) for many reasons. One, if not the, important reason is to show solidarity to the victim. By taking the responsibility for punishment from the victim we are saying that we as a society do not condone the act and that we have the will and power to uphold and enforce the laws we create. If this were left up to the family, why should anyone have any confidence in law? We'd become a nation of vigilantes where only the powerful obtain justice.

Secondly, by punishing as a society, we remove the burden of vengeance from the victim. We, as a committee, decide and enforce the punishment. The victim is spared the stigma of being executioner and being forced to make unrepentable decisions in one of their weakest emotional moments. We also create a situation where the truth can be found (to the degree that is possible) in an objective way, which is really the only way justice can be served.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
And for the record, very few murder casses, even senseless ones like this one get the innocent by insanity plea; even fewer are actually found that way. The legal definition for the insanity plea is fairly stringent.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If not retribution then for what cause do we punish?
I thought I answered that in my original post. We punish to deter future crime. This is the only reason that can make sense ethically. Punishing the criminal does not eliminate or even reduce the harm caused by the crime. Unless punishment acts are a deterent, it only increases the total suffering caused by the crime.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
And for the record, very few murder casses, even senseless ones like this one get the innocent by insanity plea; even fewer are actually found that way. The legal definition for the insanity plea is fairly stringent.

If he's schizophrenic or otherwise clinically insane, I think he'll be innocent by insanity. This isn't a case where he had his period or a fit of temporary rage; everything I've read says he seems constantly disturbed all the time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.