FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Self-Indulgent Whining (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Self-Indulgent Whining
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Woe is me. I've had so many migraines lately, I've lost count. I get the type with the aura first. My vision gets blurry, progresses with floaters, and generally is a pain in the butt. Periphrial vision?? What's THAT? This is what it's like...I can look at you, focusing on your eye, and your other eye is in a blind spot. I can't look at your whole face at once. Nono.

And reading! HA! How well can you read when you can look at one word at a time and sometimes not even that much.

That only last about 30 minutes or so. Then the migraine comes. Oh what fun! Pain lovely pain. Unless I managed to take medicine beforehand. Then it's just mild pain. But the dizziness and the nausea... yeah.. that's there no matter what.

So, I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday. Hopefully he'll tell me what's wrong with me. I keep on thinking Brain Tumor. More likely it's related to something a lot more mundane.

I had these in high school. Then they went away. They came back for a while in December, but they went away when I switched back to my old BC pills. Now they're back. I don't know why, so I need to whine about it.

It's therapeutic.

Do you want to whine about something, too?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE unpacking. [Grumble]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What kq said!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] Too much reading [Grumble]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought packing was bad. Unpacking is MUCH worse.

But migraines are worse than packing and unpacking put together.

Katarain, do you take prescription migraine meds for them? Mine are triggered by hormones (my doc wanted to put me on BC to try to get rid of them -- I don't get them while I'm pregnant, go figure -- but man I hate BC pills), stress, poor eating habits and/or lack of sleep. But I take Zomig when one strikes and I'm pretty well good as new within an hour.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Nope. But Tuesday I go to the doctor. So maybe I will be soon.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Cool. Best of luck. I hear that Imitrex works great for some people. I've only ever tried Zomig, but understand that it doesn't work for everyone. It's a miracle in pill form as far as I'm concerned, though.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Migraines are indeed horrible. Mine are usually pretty mild and are more aural than visual (like there are no background noises, everything is foreground noise). Like jeniwren, mine are also triggered by hormones (as if periods weren't bad enough by themselves, I have to deal with migraines at the same time), as well as stress, and allergies (a few of my food allergies trigger migraines).

Both immitrex and zomig worked sometimes for me. I get better results with a more generic headache medicine - Midrin.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Dittos on the unpacking.

Having a fight with a dearly loved friend also sucks royally.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
...I love unpacking. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

((Jim-Me)) That does suck.

Have you ever read Everyone's Normal 'Til You Get to Know Them? There's a section on conflict that I love... It's a very comforting book, I think.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
...I love unpacking. [Big Grin]

Good. Come help!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Katarain, I'm sorry about the migraines. That would so suck. [Frown] *hug*

My whine? Um...I like packing...I like my new apartment...nice and nonthreatening guys are going to help me move so i don't have to carry the heavy boxes...I like my job...we are having a reception with cake and cookies this afternoon...school is taken care of...there's a party tomorrow night...I love signing on to my computer in the morning...

I got nothing. I'm sorry. *runs away very, very quickly*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I could use your help, too, Mack, and I bet I'm a lot closer than Rivka and have more stuff for you to unpack. You can even have a bunch of it in compensation!

Thanks, Jeniwren... I might need to read that one.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*grouches in Katie's general direction*

You can come out here and unpack the stuff from our 1,000 square foot apartment into our 750 square foot apartment for us, then. [Grumble]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*peeks back in* Okay, I'll come help. [Smile]

Oh! I have something. I got a haircut last week and the lady cut off three inches. >_< It's still past my shoulders, but just barely. [Mad]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There are medications, like Beta Blockers, that are taken to prevent frequent migraines. Maybe the doc can hook you up with some of those.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I wish I was unpacking.

In a nice house... no more apartment. A house that we actually own! With real furniture!! And a yard! And a porch and a deck... *sigh* And many rooms...and hardwood floors...

*dreams*

Katarain
Member # 6659

What I really want from the doctor is an extensive battery of pain-free tests. Like an MRI. It would really put my mind at ease.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I could use your help, too, Mack, and I bet I'm a lot closer than Rivka
Yes.
quote:
and have more stuff for you to unpack.
Hah! Doubtful.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Rivka, remember that I recently moved a large number of (admittedly smaller) people in with me. we have you heavily outnumbered!
pfresh85
Member # 8085

More whining from me. First, I had to listen to a 75 minute long story about a woman who bathed in virgins' blood in one of my classes today. Next, I get a call from my mother saying that she still hasn't seen a bill from the school. Apparently the school decided a) not to send me a copy of the bill (I guess since I owed $0 they thought it wasn't important) and b) not to send my parents a copy despite the fact that I had signed a form saying I wanted them to send my parents a copy. [Grumble] Stupid crap that comes from attending college [Grumble]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've realized that I shouldn't talk to boys this week of august, two years in a row I have been hit on by guys that I'd been friends with for a while but couldn't imagine anything else with, ugh. I guess this year it's a bit better if he weren't suggesting "friends with benefits" no i really don't need any suggestions, the whining fits me best.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
My back hurts like heck. [Grumble] And a stupid hurricane is hitting me right now. I won't have power for long. My boss still wants me to open the store tomorrow. I thought I'd at least get a day off. [Grumble]

Ok, I'm done now.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, whining. I'm good at this.

I lost my service to my cell phone today because no one will hire me so I can pay to continue using it and now I feel like I've lost an arm. [Frown] Stupid, I know but I've applied to at least 30 different places this summer, I have a BA (which I thought was supposed to make this easier), have had a few places get my hopes up without hiring me and it's really starting to depress me. Okay, so maybe it's not all about the phone.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to learn to draw and I still suck.

I get frequent migraines.

My left (nondrawing) index finger has had a dull pain for like a year and the dr can't find anything wrong with it.

My commute drives me crazy.

*whine*

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Oh! I have something. I got a haircut last week and the lady cut off three inches. >_< It's still past my shoulders, but just barely. [Mad]

I'll join you in that whine. I went in for a trim last week, which for me is 4-6 inches (My hair is past my waist...or at least it used to be). The woman took off 10 inches! I suppose I should have been worried when she didn't know how long 6" was, but I thought we had established that it was the length of her comb. I've never had such a disastrous haircut before, so I really wasn't prepared for such incompetence.

The moral of the story: run away from any "hairdresser" who doesn't understand length measurements. And if you happen to be in Tucson, AZ, stay away from Planet Haircare at the Park Place Mall.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

A Tucsonan. How I'd love to be where you are.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I swear some stylists itch for the chance to chop it off. . I used to go to my sister-in-law, but I had to quit when my hair reached above my shoulders. Of course she cut it that way - her own hair is chin-length, and she clearly thinks chin-length hair is cute. It is cute! It's also not what I want. I think that's why I prefer guys - they don't cut everyone's hair to match their own.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you? Maybe we could trade...[EDIT: locations, not hairstylists...]

It's still hellishly hot here, I don't recommend it. Actually, we're hoping to move away next year, to someplace with normal seasons, cold winters, and a distinct lack of urban sprawl. I don't yet know where that place will be, but I suspect somewhere in the midwest.

To give an idea of the amount of sprawl, I live around 30 miles (straight line) from downtown Tucson, yet the city limits are less than a mile away. If I weren't lazy I would go look up how many square miles Tucson is. (Was that proper use of the subjunctive? I can never tell, it just looks horribly wrong to me.)

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

I'm now in southwestern AZ, but I lived in Tucson for 4 years while I was attending the UofA. It's downright peachy in Tucson compared to here, where I'm pretty sure our average temperature is usually about 5-10 degrees higher. I loved the seasons because I can't handle cold all that well and I thought winters in Tucson, if you can call them that, were cold enough.

I have to say I agree with your sentiments on urban sprawl, though. I never really liked the look of it...but I do miss being there. Probably because I had more freedom there and not because of the city itself.

Good luck with the move. [Smile]

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Ah, somewhere in the vicinity of Yuma, I'm guessing. I was just there last weekend, and I agree it was miserably hot there. Especially since Corona de Tucson (where I live) is often 5-10 degrees cooler than metro Tucson. I think I'll pass on trading locations with you, then *G*.

--Mel

Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

Yeah, I'm in Yuma now. And it looks like we did trade locations, though only temporarily; I was in the Tucson area last weekend. Glad you enjoyed my part of the state so much. [Wink]

[/derailment]

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Not really that much of a derailment, after all, we were self indulgently whining about the weather and where we lived.

And I only ever go to Yuma to visit family, so that part was fine. It was just so dang hot!

--Mel

Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

I already did my whining for the day. [Razz]

This information does make it possible for me to become half-real at some point, though. [Big Grin]

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I know there are other Jatraqueros (did I spell that right?) in Tucson. Some of them might even be real. There could be a whole southern Arizona cascade of realness...

--Mel

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're going to whine about the hideous temperatures in Arizona, can I whine about how awful our electric bill has been lately? The sad thing is that when I look at suggestions for reducing energy costs, they're all things I already do. [Frown]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate being stuck in the house because there are no drivers currently in my house and because of the stupid storm.

And I strongly dislike the characteristic in most of the other students in my grade where they absorb anything that's told to them by a teacher, regardless of whether it even remotely makes sense, just because they think teachers are all-knowing and must be brilliant and because they can't think for themselves anyways. (Yes, just recently something like this happened to me in class and I still can't get over it) (And I WAS RIGHT!)

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

My problem was and continues to be my lack of money and transportation. It would have been easier while I lived there since I'd at least be in the same city as other Jatraqueros and could ride the bus. Now I'm not sure when my next chance to go back will be. Oh well. Such is life.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had one of those 24 hour headaches that feel like a halo of pain in some time.
They are excruciating. Starting over the right or left eye, they make my head feel like I am being slowly trepanned as the pain reaches and connects to the back of my head...
Right now I am gloomy over various things, especially my birthday tomorrow.
I so dislike birthdays. Perhaps because I want attention and no one will really give it to me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

More whining: It's way too hot outside. The school thermometer said it was 104 to give you an idea. I think it's actually 98 or 99. Still, walking 10 minutes or more across campus with no shade in that heat is not fun. I'm all sweaty and nasty. It's just bad.
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I forgot my checkbook 30 minutes away at home, I forgot to use my store credit and they wouldn't just refund me at the register and no one was at the desk for customer service, and then I tried to leave only to realize that I'd lost my keys.

Today I have a headache, don't like the book I have to read for school, and am thoroughly frustrated with my poor attempts at quilting. Oh, and a gift I'm trying to get my best friend that I really adore costs 70 dollars more than I'm comfortable with. And my teeth are sensitive from bleaching and there's no comfort food in the house.

Yup, that pretty much covers it [Wink] .

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey whiners-about-heat, it was over 100 here the other day, and humidity in the 90%'s. Dry heat is quite pleasant in comparison!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

[EDIT: D'oh, I could have sworn I was in the telemarketer thread when I posted that. Moving it now...]

Yes dry heat is better than humid heat, but it gets pretty humid here during the monsoon. This year it hasn't been too bad, but some years are horrible. Even though it's only maybe 75% humidity, the temperature is closer to 115 degrees.

--Mel

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Houston can get that bad, or at least I've recalled it getting that bad. Dallas doesn't, but it's still not fun. According to weather.com, it's 98 degress here with 40% humidity, meaning it feels like 105 degrees. Fun stuff.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Humidity doesn't go that low in New England [Razz]

Oh well, it looks like it'll be cooler from now on anyway, so all's well!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Rivka, remember that I recently moved a large number of (admittedly smaller) people in with me. we have you heavily outnumbered!

And my three (with their incredible assortment of I-don't-even-KNOW-what-some-of-that-is) don't count?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Another beuatiful day at the beach...but I'm bored out of my skull. And I'm tired. And I'm hungry. But mostly I'm bored. I have to work tonight. I'm out of smokes. Gwen didn't call me back. My roommates are moving to Santa Monica. My mom is moving to central Cali. I'm running out of money faster than my next payday is coming up. And anyway, my next check goes entirly to rent. My laundry needs to be folded, and then I need to put the wet, clean stuff in the dryer, then put in another load. My stomache hurts. My hands smell like bleach. My roomate's dogs won't stop barking. I have to use the bathroom, but I'm too lazy.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
Yes dry heat is better than humid heat, but it gets pretty humid here during the monsoon. This year it hasn't been too bad, but some years are horrible. Even though it's only maybe 75% humidity, the temperature is closer to 115 degrees.

--Mel

theCrowsWife, where are you that you talk about monsoons? I mean, I have monsoons (Sri Lanka gets both monsoon seasons) but not many people here do. So, fess up.

Katarain, I have major sympathies. I've taken just about every drug that exists for migraines. Imitrex was a bad one for me - my side effects sent me to the hospital - and so was cafergot. But the one ketchupqueen recommended *digs around in purse* tramadol, when combined with ibuprofen, works like a charm.

For me, my worst migraines were during puberty. And now that I'm going through perimenopause, it's the same dang thing all over again. Sigh. Is it possible it's hormonal fluctuations for you, too?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She's in AZ, quid. They do get a monsoon season with flash flooding and everything in the south every year.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.