FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My baby has a fever of 103. :( (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My baby has a fever of 103. :(
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to do. We've done tepid baths, Tylenol, Advil, lots of water and even juice when she refused to nurse or drink water. I'm going to ask Jeff to give her a blessing, but we're going to have to find another priesthood holder (at this time of night!)

She's not acting particularly "sick" but she's got a glazed look in her eyes and her temperature is constantly between 102 and 103. She has no rash, no diarrhea, no vomiting, no cough, no other symptoms than her fever. She's still very responsive and seems content to play in the tub with Abba.

She doesn't have health insurance right now. We have applied for low-cost insurance through the state, but of course it's not gone through yet. If we had insurance I'd be getting her to the ER right now because her fever hasn't gone down for hours. But we can't afford it at all. I don't know what to do and when she's sick I feel so helpless! I would gladly take it all on myself if I could. [Cry] I just don't know what to do, I'm at the end of my knowledge (and my mom's, the pediatric nurse) on how to treat this.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I am so sorry. I have a 2 year old so I can sympathize. I know this sounds pretty basic but when my little one had a high fever that wouldn't break, the nurse on call recommended Motrin rather than Tylenol or Advil. It broke her fever almost immediately. It might be worth a try.
There is just nothing worse than a sick baby. [Frown]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Motrin is the same thing as Advil.

Sometimes she responds better to Advil than Tylenol, but we've used both now. The only thing that seems to get it down temporarily is to just keep her in the bath as long as possible and get her head wet now and then.

This temp is by ear, btw.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the ER. Hospitals are, out of necessity, understanding about difficulties in payment. This does not mean it won't be a significant burden on your budget over time, but it does mean its something you can spread out over a very long period.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's by ear, I'd wonder how accurate it was.

You do know that an ER cannot turn you away, regardless of your lack of insurance or your ability to pay, right?

Poor Emma. I hope she feels better soon. *hug*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
For how long has she had this fever?

Look at the base of her nostrils. Are either (or both) of them red? That is indicative of an ear infection. When my kid was a baby, he would get them and not complain of the pain until the doctor asked him if his ear hurt.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Please KQ, take her to the ER. I really think she needs some professional medical attention.

Fugu is right. They won't turn you away and they will work with you regarding payment. Also, if you are applying for something like Medicaid, it can be retroactive, meaning they pay for past medical care if your application has been filed and is pending.

She may need fluids, something she isn't taking orally, and maybe a doctor can identify something you can't see as a stressed parent.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
In an emergency like this, is a second priesthood holder even necessary? I've always been under the impression that it's not.

[Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, we got the EQP, who lives down the street, on the second ring. He was up and came right over. If we absolutely couldn't get anyone, Jeff would give the blessing alone. But we are blessed to live in a ward where we have people close by who are willing to come over at 11:20 and give a sick child a blessing.

She's nursing and taking more fluids now, and after the last bath and the blessing, she's not heating back up quite as much. We're going to get more Advil into her (it's time now) and see if that helps.

My mom and dad (my dad's a family practitioner, my mom, as mentioned before, is a pediatric nurse and also raised 4 children) both say that a fever of 103 isn't life-threatening if she's not having any other symptoms. (And she's still not.) We checked her ears and nostrils; she has a stuffy nose like she often does when she has a virus, but there's nothing wrong with her ears and she's not in pain or pulling or fussing at them.

She's a little defensive about her tummy, so it might be a tummy virus (I had some GI symptoms yesterday.) If it is, maybe getting enough fluids into her that she does a diaper will help break the fever (that's my mom's theory.)

We are praying and watching her. If she goes downhill at all, we will take her to the ER, even though we don't qualify for Medicaid and will be stuck paying the bill for the next two years.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Tummy complaints are a non-specific symptom in little kids -- they get tummy aches and vomiting for just about any ailment, not just the GI ones.

Your mom and dad are giving sound advice. And I agree that if she seems worse, it would be justified to go to the ER. Perhaps by tomorrow though, her symptoms will progress to something identifiable. That makes it much easier to decide what to do and for doctors to decide how to treat her.

It is chickenpox season. Has she had the varicella vaccine? Sometimes that starts with non-specific symptoms and fever and the characteristic rash comes out later.

If it's the pox, just keep her cool and uncovered as much as possible, well-hydrated and Tylenoled.

Good luck.

Shvester Esther, the RN

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to belittle your troubles, but the thread title sounds like a sweet hook for a blues song.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sounds like you're on top of things. [Smile]

BTW, it sounds a little bit like the bug my youngest had a few weeks ago -- two days with a fever that kept rising to almost 104 at night (and dipped during the day), but absolutely no other symptoms (except for draggy tiredness, which was presumably from the fever itself). No ear pain, no tummy pain, etc.

Went away by itself, and after a couple days to get rested and rehydrated, was fully herself again.

*hugs* to you all.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I honestly can't remember if she's had the varicella vaccine. We didn't refuse it if they wanted to give it to her, but I'm not sure when they give it and I haven't looked at her shot records in a while (she gets the next ones at 18 mos. is all I know.) However, she hasn't been in contact with other kids at all since last week, and then only minimally. If she got anything, it would have to be from one of us.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks, rivka. And PC, that made me laugh. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

Varicella vaccine is most commonly given at 12 or 18 months.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, they didn't give it at 12; I remember that they only gave one at 12 months. So I guess she needs it at 18.

Wasn't I reading that it's less effective if given before age 3 anyway, and they are thinking of recommending boosters?

As much as I do subscribe to the theory that vaccinations contribute to the higher rates of allergies, I also remember the chickenpox. So I think she'll be getting it.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Chickenpox incubates for 10-21 days, but most commonly for about 2 weeks. When my kid got it, I had no idea where he picked it up; sometimes an infectious person will leave some shed viruses behind for some other kid to pick up, without actually meeting.
rivka
Member # 4859

I have heard that they are considered boosters, although they are not yet offered here.

Hadn't heard any problem with offering the immunization before age 3.

As with any vaccine, some percentage of vaccinated children will still get the disease when exposed. (With this one it's about 10%, and my niece was one of those 10%.) But even then, the disease tends to be milder.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad she's feeling a bit better. Hopefully, she'll be noticeably improved by morning. Glad you got your EQP, too. Nearest priesthood holders to me are 1/2hour away.

Good luck.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My brother got chickenpox 5 times. *shudders*

There's no chickenpox going around this area, though, Tante, and school hasn't started yet so if it was it would have a much, much harder time getting around infecting people. I honestly don't think it's chickenpox; after thinking about the way I've been feeling and what Ems' diapers have been like the last couple of days, I'm beginning to incline more and more toward just a gut virus possibly exacerbated by heat and dryness.

rivka
Member # 4859

*is getting itchy* I came down with chicken pox almost two weeks after being exposed, very briefly. (Schools should have separate waiting areas for sick kids waiting to be picked up, and non-sick kids waiting to be picked up.)

My brothers (I had two at the time) came down with it one week and two weeks after I did. That was the summer we were packing up the house in NJ to move to CA (we had just spent a year living in CA, and were making the move permanent). My poor mother!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I got it when it went around my preschool when I was 3 1/3. My six-month-old brother, who was still breastfed, got a slight fever and two pox three days after I cleared up. That was his first case...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, she's laying in her crib, now. I didn't want to check because she was finally calming down enough to seem sleepy (and not just tired), but it feels like it's down a bit-- probably about 101. I had a wet washcloth and was sponging her down, and she liked it so much she grabbed it and started rubbing it on her own tummy and arms and legs and cheek and head. She took it to bed with her. Let's hope she's better in the morning. *prays*
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I would take a rectal temp, though to be certain that the temp you're getting is completely accurate. I'm not a fan of ear thermometers at all.

As your parents already told you, a fever of 103 in a young child isn't dangerous by itself, but I wouldn't hesitate if you felt like you did need to go to the doctor.

If she's still sick tomorrow you could go to an urgent care center, they would be less expensive than an ER.

My bet is still on ear infection, because ear pulling or complaints of pain in the ear aren't really all that reliable of indicators in a young child. Many times my kids have had ear infections without complaint of ear pain or ear pulling. Watch her hearing closely, even if the fever goes away there could still be fluid buildup that affects her hearing. Does your mom or dad have an otoscope and can check out the ears for you?

Hang in there, most likely it will be better on its own soon. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope she's okay.

...am I the only person who is still not used to there being a chickenpox vaccine?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, good luck. I'll be thinking of her.

What is the purpose of the two blessings, by the way? I'm not familiar with that.

You're not alone mack. I don't really quite get the purpose of a chickenpox vaccine either--as long as a person catches the disease as a child it's relatively mild, and confers lifelong immunity in the vast majority of people, right? So why vaccinate against it?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the baby is okay, KQ.

Ah, chicken pox. Remember them well, probably because they were the only "childhood disease" I ever had, and because my dad got shingles from them when I had them. Yuck. But, I never had measles or mumps - and that was in the day before there were vaccines to prevent them. In fact, my mother purposely started to take me around other kids who had them (I was the only one in my kindergarten class who didn't get the mumps), so that if I was going to get them, I would get it over with. However, I apparently have an inherited natural immunity to measles and mumps - my dad never got either, and neither did his mother.

Anyway, I'll be sending good thoughts toward the kidlet, KQ.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I got chicken pox twice. The second time, they came out on Christmas Eve. [Mad]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I don't really quite get the purpose of a chickenpox vaccine either--as long as a person catches the disease as a child it's relatively mild, and confers lifelong immunity in the vast majority of people, right? So why vaccinate against it?
Ah, but if you don't get it early in life it's more severe. My mom had it when 12 and had a miserable 3 weeks (3 weeks!) The older you get it, the worse it is. In very young children, it can also be literally life-threatening sometimes (if they get a severe case). And it's never comfortable. Plus, now they require it (or proof that you've had a case of chickenpox) if you want to go to school. (Of course, I'm seriously considering homeschooling my children anyway, especially if we keep living where we do right now, but that's a decision not to be made for several years, and I don't want her to have to get the shots later.)

Every single time my brother caught chickenpox after those first two spots, he either missed a holiday (Halloween, Easter) or was on vacation (he caught it from some kids in the tent next to us one year when we were camping on the beach for a week.)

As for my kiddo, she's doing better this morning. (I could hardly sleep last night even though she slept just fine. "What if it's bacterial menengitis and it spikes up to 109 while we're sleeping and kills her or leaves her permanently brain damaged and deaf and we could have prevented it if we just took her in? And what if it's my fault she got it because I made her stop nursing during the day?" I know they're both irrational, especially the second one, but you know mothers and worrying. I am usually quite layed-back in my parenting, but high fevers are the one thing that do it to me. You can imagine my relief when she not only had a rectal temp of 100.6 this morning, but put her chin down on her chest to look at her bellybutton.) She's getting out of another bath right now and had a diaper this morning, and seems to be working on another one. So I think she's made a turn for the better. [Smile]

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told it is a myth that a high enough temp will cause brain damage or death. Other things that go with a fever can kill, sure, but not the fever itself. Also if she had the worst kind of meningitis she'd already be dead. [Smile]

Also I believe that otitis media hasn't been proven to require antimicrobials, especially at first. Other countries don't always treat otitis media with antibiotics. I find that a bit unnerving, but OTOH, it is comforting to know that most kids get better eventually without antibiotics or permanent damage.

Oh, and the chicken pox can be a terrible disease, hence the vaccine. We don't know much about how the vaccine will work yet, though. Will it prevent chicken pox for life? Or will adults need boosters? What will that do to the incidence of shingles? Stay tuned, the next 60 years will tell us the answers.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Glad to hear that she's doing better KQ. I can only imagine how harrowing it would be, being in your situation. I know I'd be second guessing myself like that too, but it seems to me that you've handled everything as well as a parent could.

I know that chicken pox is more sever in older people--I had a friend who got it in his mid-teens, and he was horribly sick. I understand that in adults it can be life threatening. You say it can be life threatening to the very young as well? That's interesting; I didn't know that.

So what is the story on the blessings? It seemed to me that you were in particular needing two of them, so I'm assuming it's an LDS rite of some sort, but what is it's purpose? Why do you need two different people in particular? If this is something that it isn't considered polite to discuss, just say the word and I'll drop it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Glad to hear she is getting well. [Big Grin] I can't get that cute picture of her in the watermelon outfit out of my head!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yay for dropping fevers and relieved mommies. [Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My niece caught chickenpox as a young child and nearly died from it. It's usually a mild disease for kids, but not always.

Theaca, the doctor is pretty sure Emily had chickenpox after receiving the vaccine, but it was a very mild case. So much so it didn't look like chickenpox to me at all.

It will indeed be interesting to see how the vaccine works long term.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad she's better. Fevers are so scary.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
So the Ketchup Princess is ok? [Party]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Jeezum, that's good news.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Phew... Hope she'll be perfectly ok soon! [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I've been told it is a myth that a high enough temp will cause brain damage or death. Other things that go with a fever can kill, sure, but not the fever itself. Also if she had the worst kind of meningitis she'd already be dead.
My dad told me what WebMD also said-- it has to be sustained and over 106, and you just don't get that with anything but an artificially elevated temperature (like kids left in a car on a hot day [Frown] ) or bacterial meningitis. And her being "already dead" when we woke up in the morning was what scared me, even though I had checked her for every symptom of bacterial meningitis I am aware of and she had none of them. You know. It's a mommy thing. [Blushing]

quote:
So what is the story on the blessings? It seemed to me that you were in particular needing two of them, so I'm assuming it's an LDS rite of some sort, but what is it's purpose? Why do you need two different people in particular? If this is something that it isn't considered polite to discuss, just say the word and I'll drop it.
You can read a little about priesthood blessings at mormon.org. There are a couple of reasons we need more than one Melchezideck priesthood holder (and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've been taught): one man anoints with olive oil consecrated for the purpose (my husband and most other priesthood holders I know in this country carry it on their keychain in a little vial) and one "seals the blessing" (the actual prayer in which they state the full name of the person, authority by which they are blessing the sick person, and ask that the person be healed if it is God's will or ask for other specific things as the Spirit directs, in the name of Jesus Christ.) The other reason is the scripture "When two or more are gathered in my name", etc. When two priesthood holders are gathered in the name of Christ, it is considered especially powerful. In a real, life-threatening emergency, with no access to another priesthood holder, I have heard of one man giving a blessing of healing alone. I think this has to be done as the Spirit directs and on a case-by-case basis, though; the standard is two or more priesthood holders. When a blessing is given to a sick person, it is fulfilled through their faith (or the faith of the parents and family in the case of very young children.) Last night, the Elders' Quorum President came over (we don't have home teachers yet) and anointed Emma while I held her in my lap, then Jeff sealed the blessing upon her. He blessed her to be comforted (she was screaming from the time a strange man laid hands upon her head, of course), to be able to sleep peacefully through the night and get the rest that she needed, that her body would be strong and fight off whatever ailed her, that her fever would subside, and that she would be comforted (again). When a blessing only of comfort, not of healing, is given, this may be done by only one priesthood holder. I ask for these every once in a while from my husband.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] Long live the Princess!! Umm...ok..I feel like Disney's Sleeping Beauty now..You know how in the beginning everyone is singing "Long live the princess" and so on?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Interesting KQ, thanks for the information.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're welcome. Any time. [Smile]

AoD, that's cute. We never had Sleeping Beauty, so I don't remember much of it; just one song and a few snippets here and there.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hail to the King,
Hail to the Queen,
Hail to the Princess Aurora..."

now i have to go watch [Smile]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
kq-

My kids had FUO's "Fevers of Unknown Origin" all the time when they were 3 and under. Fever can cause all kinds of symptoms from muscle aches to stomach problems. You can tell you're dealing with an FUO when the child acts perfectly fine as soon as the fever subsides.

With my kids, the FUO usually lasted 24-72 hours.

Our pediatrician had us give them a combo of Tylenol and Motrin together and it worked like magic as long as the dosage was repeated right on schedule.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, she had smelly diarrhea this afternoon, and the fever immediately broke. She's had that happen before, just not with such a high fever. She's down to 99 now. My mom was right. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

KQ, I'm so glad to hear that the Little Princess is feeling better.

When my baby was under a year old, he had some kind of weird fever. It was 102-ish through the day, but as night fell, it would rise to 105 - 106. At that temp, the baby kind of goes lethargic and limp. Any oral anti-fever medicine would violently vomit back up -- with force! I gave him Tylenol suppositories, baths, all that stuff, but still, the fever wouldn't break. You want to see a doctor take your nighttime call fast? Tell the service that your infant has a 106 temp.

We trundled baby off to the ER, where his fever would start to drop (maybe from going out into the chill winter air -- who knows) to 103 - 104. No other significant symptoms, so they sent baby home. The next day, he was doing better, with fever no higher than 102, but as night fell, the same thing. After three consecutive nights in the ER, they admitted my baby to the hospital, and started him on baby IV's. No other symptoms ever did emerge, and baby got better without any lingering effects.

The things our kids put us through! I also had horrible thoughts of, G-d forbid, a brain damaged baby. But all turned out well.

I know well the feeling of being up at night, worried, with a sick kid. More power to you.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry the Ketchup Princess got sick, and I'm glad she's better now! (But I'm sorry for the stinky diarrhea. [Wink] )

All the chicken pox talk got me kinda worried - I'm 24, and I've never had it. Anyone know if this vaccine might be applicable to adults? Or should I just stop putting off the inevitable and find myself some pox-ridden kids to hang out with till I'm infected? [Frown]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I've never had the chicken pox (I'm 25) but my mom made me get the vaccine when I was in high school. Before that she tried to get me exposed. I guess my cousin wasn't contagious when I went to visit.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
All the chicken pox talk got me kinda worried - I'm 24, and I've never had it. Anyone know if this vaccine might be applicable to adults? Or should I just stop putting off the inevitable and find myself some pox-ridden kids to hang out with till I'm infected? [Frown]

quote:
You should get the varicella vaccine if you do not have a reliable history of having had chickenpox, and if:

* You are a health care worker, teach young children, a day care worker, a resident or staff member in an institutional setting, a college student, an inmate or staff member of a correctional institution, in the military, or if you travel internationally.
* You are a woman of childbearing age who is sure you are not pregnant. (Pregnant women should not receive the varicella vaccine.)

Under no circumstances would I recommend deliberately infecting yourself! If you're worried and think you might want to be immunized, talk to your doctor. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.